Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to make NT faster?

Hi,

with my tick reaply enabled charts and some orderflow indicators the platform has become really slow. I have several charts of the same instrument up, so it's all runing on one single core. Nevertheless I have it overclovked to over 4Ghz.

The real issue though, is that NT simply doesn't use more CPU!
    Sometimes it uses up to roughly 35%. These days it's 'normal' fast, just the usual. Then there are days it never utilizes more than 15% or so and is really slow. Loading all charts may take up to 5 minutes on these days.
    Your world class #1 support (no irony here) recommended to use less chart windows of the same instrument and reduce the number of indicators to a minimum. The irony though is, that if I do so, NT simply uses less CPU. What a fail! If I give NT a higher priority it doesn't change much and the higher the priority, the laggier it actually gets.
    My computer has it's sole purpose in trading, there are no other programms running in the background, whatsoever. How can I make NT use 75% CPU all the time?

Looking forward to a way to do this.
    Greetings,
    Seykool

Hello,

If loading only one instrument NinjaTrader will run calculations on that instrument on only one core (as you stated), which means the core that instrument is running on could be maxed out even though your entire CPU is not. For instance, if you have a machine with 4 cores, a maxed out core would only show as 25% usage of your CPU in the task manager.

Ultimately it is up to Windows which programs get what PC resources, so the only thing that can be done within NinjaTrader is to reduce the overall size of the workspace. Tick replay is a particularly PC intensive process, so reducing the number of charts running this will likely help. Alternatively, you can rebuild or tear down the workspace one chart/indicator at a time to see if any particular script or chart is causing significantly more usage.

Also, are you using the 'playback from selected' feature or using market replay without this feature?
    Ryan S.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hi Ryan,

that would be an explanation but it often run above 25%. In fact, I just tested it and this time NT run at almost 90% CPU usage and aparently on all 4 cores. Meaning that each core was 90% used by NT, which actually shouldn't be as we both stated before. Anyways, that's exaclty what I want. I just wonder why NT accomplishes it sometimes to use all CPU and sometimes only 15% or so. Any idea?
      I didn't try it in market replay, I am speaking about live charts.

Greetings

Comment

Hello,

To clarify, calculations of scripts and data on the chart will utilize one core, but other functions of NinjaTrader can be loaded onto another core/thread. NinjaTrader 8 is multi-threaded and we create separate threads for these tasks. Simply spoken it can create threads for processing data and separate threads for rendering data. This allows us to distribute the load across modern CPU's. We reference these internally by the names of 'instrument' thread and 'UI' thread, where on a quad core computer you will have 4 UI threads and 4 instrument threads. the platform will randomly assign windows to a UI thread for rendering and randomly assign instruments to an instrument thread for processing.

Therefore it would be normal to see the cores of the CPU all working, and the total load each supports will vary depending on numerous factors of the workspace. Ultimately though there is nothing that can be done to improve performance from the NinjaTrader side other than reducing the total load the workspace creates.
        Ryan S.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Alright, thanks Ryan.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by WHICKED, Today, 12:56 PM
          2 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post WHICKED
          by WHICKED