Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Copy from PC to Laptop

Hi
    I just got a laptop and would like advice on the easiest way for me, after downloading NT8 onto the new laptop, to then open up the same charts with all my saved indicators etc from the PC settings.
    In other words how can I get the same exact set up from PC onto my laptop?
    Thanks

Hello Learner Trader,

Thank you for your note.

The following instructions will explain how to backup your NinjaTrader 8 files to a second computer.

Please note that the following list is the items you can choose to include or exclude from your backup (Configuration files, Database, Historical Chart Data, Log and Trace files, Market Replay Data, NinjaScript Files, Templates, Workspaces). Many users exclude the historical chart data, log and trace files, and Market Replay data to reduce the file size.

Also, the new computer will have a different Machine ID and will result in any passwords for account connections being removed along with the NinjaTrader License key being removed. For security purposes all account connections will need to have the username and password re-entered and the License key will also need to be re-entered.

You will also need to contact any 3rd party vendors and let them know that your machine ID has changed. You can locate the new machine ID by the following:
    • Control Center > Help > About... (e.g. Machine ID: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX)
    Follow these steps:
    • Open NinjaTrader 8 on the computer you wish to backup from and disconnect from any open connections if applicable
    • Go to Tools > Export > Backup File
    • Select which items you would like to backup and click 'Export'
    • Email or Save the file to an external storage device. The file can be found in the Documents\NinjaTrader 8 Backup folder on your PC
    Open NinjaTrader 8 on the computer you wish to restore to and disconnect from any open connections if applicable.
    • Open the email with the backup file or connect the external storage and save the backup file to a destination of your choosing (I recommend the desktop as it is easy to find)
    • Go to Tools > Import > Backup File...
    • Select the backup file you created from the location you saved it
    I have also attached the publicly available Help Guide section regarding backup and restore below:

Help Guide - https://ninjatrader.com/support/helpGuides/nt8/NT%20HelpGuide%20English.html?backup__restore.htm

Please let us know if we may provide further assistance.

Comment

Hi
      Thank you for that.
      I followed your steps and when I got to the stage of installing the back up file by selecting tools, import, and selecting the file I had saved - I get an error message "restore backup archive error"
      Please advise
      Many thanks

Comment

Hello Learner Trader,

Thank you for your update.

What is the complete error message you received when trying to import your backup file? Does it point towards anything specific in the backup that would cause a corruption or error?
        Justin D.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

I just get a general message
          Please see attached image
          Thanks
          Attached Files

Comment

Hello Learner Trader,

Thank you very much for that screenshot.

Please write into PlatformSupport[AT]NinjaTrader[DOT]Com along with a copy of your Backup file and a link to this forum post. In your response, please also include 'ATTN Justin' in the subject line so it arrives in my inbox. This will allow me to unpack the backup file and send you individual folders along with directions for putting them onto your platform. This will allow us to quickly isolate any files that may be causing this error as well.

Thank you in advance for these files. I look forward to assisting you further. 

Comment

Hi Justin
              Did you get my email and a copy of the back up file?
              I have not had any response
              Many thanks

Comment

Hello Learner Trader,

Thank you for your response.

I have not been able to find any tickets that match your original inquiry in our system. Try writing in once more using the original steps above, and I can send a confirmation on here once I have sent a reply back for you.

Thank you in advance. I look forward to assisting you further.

Comment

Hi Justin
                  I emailed you with the link to this page and subject heading of "ATTN Justin" and also gmail does not allow me to send the back up file as an attachment coz it thinks its dangerous or something... so I sent it via WeTransfer and I got a notification that you downloaded the back up file from WeTransfer.
                  This was on the 29th. Do you not remember this? When I heard nothing back, your associate Jason said you was out of the office for the day.

Comment

here is the notification i got that it was downloaded
                    Attached Files

Comment

Hi Justin
                      Did you get my new email and new WeTransfer back up file link?
                      Thanks

Comment

Hello Learner Trader,

Thank you for your response.

Yes, you should have gotten another response from me with directions on how to import the original files from the unzipped backup file I sent back to you. I have sent it one more time. If you receive this message, please reply directly to that and not on here to help keep track of any progress made importing your files.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                        Started by sidlercom80, 10-28-2023, 08:49 AM
                        168 responses
                        0 likes
                        Last Post sidlercom80  
                        Started by Barry Milan, Yesterday, 10:35 PM
                        3 responses
                        0 likes