Supported Asset Classes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Supported Asset Classes

Within NinjaTrader 8, various asset classes are recognised, generally as Instrument types:
    • Cfd
    • CryptoCurrency
    • Forex
    • Future
    • Index
    • Option
    • Spread
    • Stock
    Could NinjaTrader advise the extent to which each of these asset classes is currently supported within NinjaTrader 8, please? For example, live CryptoCurrency trading is not supported, Options have some elements of support, etc.

Thanks.
    Last edited by jeronymite; 12-02-2021, 06:34 PM.
    Multi-Dimensional Managed Trading
    jeronymite
    NinjaTrader Ecosystem Vendor - Mizpah Software

Hello jeronymite,

Thank you for your post.

Currently, there is not a supported live cryptocurrency broker. Here is a link below to our Help Guide that goes over understanding the data provided by all of the connectivity providers. Expand the section labeled Understanding the data provided by your connectivity providerPlease do not hesitate to contact us for any other NinjaTrader inquiries you may have.

Shawn B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hi Shawn. The data is one aspect of the information I'm seeking.

My question is intended to get a complete support profile of all these asset classes. That means things like can they be traded live, are they fully supported for live trading within the platform, are there any limitations on what can be traded, or how they can traded, etc? The examples I gave are just that -- examples where I am aware of some limitations. I'm after a comprehensive answer for all of these, please.

Thanks.
      Last edited by jeronymite; 12-03-2021, 01:36 AM.
      jeronymite

Comment

At the link provided below within the "Instruments Supported" column list what assets are available for each supported broker or data provider. To verify if there are any specific restrictions regarding an instrument or asset class please contact the broker or data provider directly.

NinjaTrader 8
        Christopher J.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thanks (again) for information on data providers. ... It still does not address the question though.

To reiterate, what is the full extent of support for the asset classes (Instrument Types) in NinjaTrader 8?

From the data providers table, one could presume that the following are "fully supported":
          • CFD
          • CryptoCurrency
          • Equities
          • Equities Options
          • Futures
          • Futures Options
          • Forex
          • Indices
          However, in many forum discussions, it is clear that NinjaTrader 8 does not (yet) support live trading of CryptoCurrency, nor offer full support of Options trading, and possibly other gaps in a full support profile of the Instrument types available.

If a trader wants to use NinjaTrader 8 in preference to other platforms, it is essential to know clearly what is and is not possible on the platform. If the capabilities relate to supported brokers, rather than the platform itself, this too is important information.

So, once more, may I ask, what is the full extent of support within NinjaTrader 8 and its supported brokers for all Instrument Types, expressed clearly so that prospective NinjaTrader 8 traders can know what is and is not possible on the platform using its currently supported brokers?

Thanks.
          jeronymite

Comment

Unfortunately we do not have a list of supported/unsupported features compiled for each supported broker and data provider. Within the Connection Guide at the link below there are disclaimers listed for each connection when selected as referenced in the attached example for Forex.com/City Index connections.

Help Guides | NinjaTrader 7 | NinjaTrader 8

Attached Files
            Christopher J.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thanks, NinjaTrader_ChristopherJ . That is helpful. Nevertheless, my question is still unanswered but answerable, even if not in the terms you mention. All it requires is the list of asset classes and any major limitations in general that apply to those classes.

Something like this should be possible:
              • Subject to current NinjaTrader 8 features and any broker-specific requirements of currently supported brokers, live trading is available for Cfd, Forex, Future, Index, Stock
              • Subject to current NinjaTrader 8 features and any broker-specific requirements of currently supported brokers, some aspects of live trading are available for Options (Equities and Futures) [general detail here]
              • Live trading is not supported for CryptoCurrency, Options (general detail here), Spread
              • <Some asset class> is not supported on the platform at all
              I have used examples above that may not be accurate ... and that's the point -- what is and is not possible! Obviously, "live trading" may have nuances to it that might need brief explanation, and links to detail are always useful.

Surely this type of clear summary can be produced. It gives prospective users the transparency required to make good use of the platform, and also to not "feel cheated" if they presume certain capabilities that are not there but could have been stated as such somewhere. All this is in NinjaTrader's and its current and potential customers' best interests.

Thanks.
              jeronymite

Comment

Hello Jeronymite,

Thank you for your note.

My name is Heath and I am a technical support team lead at NinjaTrader, here to make sure your concerns are addressed.

We cannot provide a comprehensive list as you're requesting on our forums.

Any comprehensive answer provided here will not be in date and will not be accurate once information changes, specific limitations from the platform are noted in the connection guides for those connections and in our help guide. For the most current up to date information you'll need to review those pages. I've linked those again below:Limitations for specific asset classes based on connection are outlined in those help guides and updated as these limitations change. You'll need to refer to that documentation for any specific answers regarding specific connections.

If you have additional questions about actual support for instruments for a specific connection outside of the information provided there you'll need to contact that provider directly for limitations regarding certain instruments if you were to open an account with that provider. Platform Support cannot provider brokerage specific account information or limitations beyond the documentation we have already provided to you.

Additionally if you have any specific concerns regarding a specific connection it is much easier to answer that here than the broad questions you're asking so far. If you were to ask "can you trade cryptocurrency to a live broker in NinjaTrader" the answer would be easy - not at the moment. Please ask a more specific question and we can provide a more specific answer

Thank you we'll await your reply.
                Heath R.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thanks, NinjaTrader_Heath . Perhaps I have been unclear and if so, my apologies. I'm recommending that somewhere on the NinjaTrader website (preferably in an easily found, obvious place), the general availability of just a few obvious major capabilities (primarily the ability to trade live) for all asset classes be listed. [Even just the ability to trade live or not would be a good start.]

You noted in your response the example of not being able to trade cryptocurrency live. That is a limitation of a major capability for that asset class that should be easily found on the website. The same should be true for all other asset classes as determined by the features of NinjaTrader and the supported brokers at any time. Options is another example where a succinct, clear statement of what is currently possible (or not possible) should be easily made.

Will these things change from time-to-time? Of course! But a simple table of this nature is what prospective users want to know. The number of times these types of questions are asked in the Forum and the amount of confusion one comes across on these matters is significant. Given the Data by Provider table already available, this list would be much simpler and easier to maintain!

Thanks.
                  jeronymite

Comment

Hello Jeronymite,

Thank you for your note.

To clarify I understand what you're asking for and am letting you know this cannot be added as you request. This general information is already available in the "data by provider" link you've been sent and that i will link again below:
                    More detailed information pertaining to specific connections and there limitations is detailed in the connection guide for those specific connections in an effort to provide meaningful information to the specific client using those connections.
                    If you're looking for this information you'll need to follow the instructions given to you above by reviewing the connection guides for the specific providers you're curious about. If you want to know more about that specific connection, limitations not listed in the connection guide would be determined by the provider themselves and you would need to contact them.

Thank you for your suggestion however this is not likely to be implemented from a compliance perspective. Please let me know if you have any additional questions.
                    Heath R.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thanks, Heath. I appreciate the definitive response.
                      jeronymite

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                      Started by adeelshahzad, Today, 03:54 AM
                      5 responses
                      0 likes
                      Last Post NinjaTrader_BrandonH  
                      Started by stafe, 04-15-2024, 08:34 PM