NT8 Charts Slow to Load

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NT8 Charts Slow to Load

I am using NT8. before yesterday NT8 worked just fine with no issues. Now when I log in my charts are taking over 20 to 30 minutes to load. Some charts will no load at all. I have to go in to documents-ninjatrader8-DB, and delete the tick, minute, cache, and day to even get it to load up. I have to do this 3 to 4 times and then log out. Is there a solution to resolving this? Its getting ridiculous to have to do this just to log in.

Hello suteu9,

Thank you for your post.

Could you please send the log and trace from your platform to look further into this inquiry?

To send me your log and trace files from within NinjaTrader. Go to Control Center-->Help-->Email Support in NinjaTrader. Put '3456183- Att Shawn', in the subject field and enable 'Log and trace files'. Also, give a reference of this thread in the body of the email.

We look forward to assisting you further.
    Shawn B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Did this resolve?

Generally, I would prefer if people (and that includes Ninjatrader Crew) could post up the solution to a problem instead of going "private" and leaving other people with similar issues in the dark.

Let's just say that I'm having the same issue.

I don't take 20-30 minutes to wait for a chart to load. Instead, I close Ninjatrader (and recently I've had to use Ctrl + Alt + Delete to open Task Manager and KILL NT8), clear my DB files and re-load it.

Usually, THAT does the trick, but can we seriously be expected to do that all the time...?

Johnny

Comment

Hello Johnny,

suteu9 had an older version of NinjaTrader installed. Shawn provided instructions to install the latest version. We have not received a response back since.

Please note that you can experience slow and unresponsive behavior in NinjaTrader if you have many charts, indicators and other windows opened depending on market volatility as well.

The 'Calculate' setting for indicators and strategies can be important. If set to 'On each tick' or 'On price change', the indicator/strategy will be calculated on each incoming tick or each price change. During high volatility this can be very CPU intensive especially if the indicator/strategy makes complicated calculations. If you set it to 'On bar close', the indicator/strategy will only be calculated at the end of each price bar.

Could it be you have workspaces opened in the background? Please go to Control Center-->Workspaces. If you see a green icon in front of the workspace, it indicates the workspace is opened and displayed on your monitor. If you see a grey icon, the workspace is opened in the background. Meaning you don't see its windows, but it will use PC resources. You can only have 1 workspace display on your monitor at a time. Please close the workspaces running in the background and check if the slow behavior persists.

You can find more tips and suggestions to improve performance at the link below.
        JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hello, Jason,

Not sure if I should start a new thread or not, but I had to "kill" Ninjatrader right now using task manager. I had to kill it because my left window was working just fine, but when I wanted to check out my right hand window I realized that the wheel was spinning and the entire window was unrensposive. I was also not able to exit Ninjatrader by trying to close it in the control center.

1. I do not have multiple workspaces open. I realize what you're talking about and made this error in the past by having workspaces open that I was not aware of. Right now, I only have one workspace in total anyway.

2. I think the indicators I use are fairly simple. Some of them are set to "Calculate on price change' because they're not correct if they're set to "Bar Close". I'm using the same set-up as I've done for the last year pretty much and most of the time it's not a problem.

3. My workspace consist of two windows which split my screen in half.

The left window have 6 tabs each. The right window have 14 tabs. Each. So, a total of 20 charts.

Of all those charts, I use only 1 "fast chart" which is a volume chart. 6 of the charts are daily/weekly/monthly charts without any indicators.

As for NT version, I'm using "8.0.25.0" which I believe was the last version updated a month ago or so.

Best regards,

Johnny

Comment

Are you able to reproduce the issue consistently each time this workspace is loaded? If so, I suggest to restore your workspace from an older save when it worked without issue using the 'Restore workspace' feature. Complete the following steps to use the "Restore workspace" feature:
            1. Navigate to Tools -> Database Management
            2. Select "Restore workspace"
            3. Select Restore to be directed to the location of the recovery workspaces
            4. Workspaces will be organized in folders with the same name as the workspace
            5. Double click the folder of the workspace you want to recover and then select the recovery file with the date/time that you want to recover. You'll want to select a file larger than 1kb from the available options.
            Below I have provided a link to the Restore Workspaces section of our help guide:

Comment

Thanks for that suggestion, Jason.

I'm not sure if it's persistently consistent, but fairly consistent. I was not aware of the Restore Workspace functionality.

How would I know which workspace to recover...? I can't pinpoint exactly when this started.

I decided to simply rebuild that workspace from scratch.

We'll see if the problem persists or not.

Johnny

Comment

You would recover the workspace to a point back in time when the issue did not occur yet.

Sounds good, please let me know if the issue persists after rebuilding the workspace.

Comment

For now, it seems like the problem resolved by rebuilding the workspace.

Best regards,

Johnny

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                  Started by algospoke, Today, 06:40 PM
                  0 responses
                  0 likes
                  Last Post algospoke  
                  Started by maybeimnotrader, Today, 05:46 PM
                  0 responses