NT Freezes/doesn't respond when trying to Reset SIM Account

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NT Freezes/doesn't respond when trying to Reset SIM Account

When I edit the SIM account in my NT accounts tab and click Reset so I can reset the balance, it just locks up/freezes. This is very odd but so far the software has been very buggy the past couple months for some reason.

Hello,

We advise that you rename your database to resolve this item using the following steps :
    • Shutdown NinjaTrader and Go to the Start Menu
    • Select My Documents--> NinjaTrader 8--> db--> "NinjaTrader.sdf" file (may only say 'NinjaTrader' depending on your Windows File Explorer settings)
    • Right click on NinjaTrader.sdf and select "Rename" *Name it "OLDNinjaTrader.sdf"
    • Then restart the software and NinjaTrader will create a fresh database file to use
    • Unfortunately the following items stored in the old database will be lost - Trading Hours templates, Instrument Lists / Custom Instruments, historical trade execution data, saved Strategy Analyzer backtest results

To prevent running into situations where you can potentially lose important data, we advise running regular backups via our inbuilt backup feature in NinjaTrader - https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...up_archive.htm

Please feel free to write in with any additional NinjaTrader items we may assist with.
    Ryan S.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_RyanS View Post
      Hello,

We advise that you rename your database to resolve this item using the following steps :
      • Shutdown NinjaTrader and Go to the Start Menu
      • Select My Documents--> NinjaTrader 8--> db--> "NinjaTrader.sdf" file (may only say 'NinjaTrader' depending on your Windows File Explorer settings)
      • Right click on NinjaTrader.sdf and select "Rename" *Name it "OLDNinjaTrader.sdf"
      • Then restart the software and NinjaTrader will create a fresh database file to use
      • Unfortunately the following items stored in the old database will be lost - Trading Hours templates, Instrument Lists / Custom Instruments, historical trade execution data, saved Strategy Analyzer backtest results

To prevent running into situations where you can potentially lose important data, we advise running regular backups via our inbuilt backup feature in NinjaTrader - https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...up_archive.htm

Please feel free to write in with any additional NinjaTrader items we may assist with.
      Thanks I'll try. Do I also need to do anything with "C:\Program Files (x86)\NinjaTrader 8\db\NinjaTrader.sdf"?

Comment

Hello,

You will not need to do anything with this particular file, renaming the file within the documents folder is sufficient.
        Ryan S.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Whilst I understand the recommendation to rename the database file, effectively causing a new database file to be created, this is a workaround, not a solution. It also has the disadvantage of losing various data that may be important or that are tedious to recreate in a new default database.

Some additional observations:
          • If a very large number of Orders have been submitted to a Sim account, it will take much longer to reset
          • There is currently no ability to "optimise" the database to try to keep it as performant as possible
          • It is worthwhile creating a new default database, setting all relevant customisations in the database, and then keeping a copy of that customised database file as a "ready-to-replace-and-go" version for circumstances where recreating the database is the recommended (or unavoidable) option, and one wants to have all the customisations in place without additional hassle
          • Various performance issues, including with the database, remain dogged issues for NT8 and require focussed attention, I believe
          Thanks.
          Multi-Dimensional Managed Trading
          jeronymite
          NinjaTrader Ecosystem Vendor - Mizpah Software

Comment

Thanks that helped. It reset in the blink of an eye after renaming. Best regards.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by frslvr, 04-11-2024, 07:26 AM
            8 responses
            1 like
            Last Post NinjaTrader_BrandonH  
            Started by stafe, 04-15-2024, 08:34 PM
            10 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post stafe