Futures Daily Candle Closes not correct

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Futures Daily Candle Closes not correct

I've seen this briefly covered in previous topics upon research, however, most posts are years old and solutions vague, so I was hoping to bring up this topic again for a definitive solution.

Regular trading hours end at 4PM EST (obviously), but a futures session goes until 5PM EST (ES, NQ, etc). However, with the recent post-4PM gaps with earnings, this has been brought to my attention. When looking at the *Daily* candles (Ninjatrader 8), the daily candle close is showing the 4PM close, instead of the 5PM close.

I am not quite sure why this is default, because, 4PM is NOT the close of the session.. 5PM is. Changing the template to 24/7 or 24/5 does not fix this. Does anyone have a solution to change the *Daily* candles to have a close of 5PM. (Yes, I could look at intraday like 4 hour, but doing tech analysis on daily candles in quite important, and having the wrong close on post-4PM gaps throw a wrench into things).

Thank you.
    -Zak

Hello avazak,

Thank you for the message.

The Trading Hours Templates that are assigned to an instrument are purely suggestions and if you do not like the Template that is being used, you could either select another one that is already created or create your own custom Trading Hours template to include the times you want.
    Also, the Daily Bars within NinjaTrader are being provided to the NinjaTrader platform from your Market Data Provider as a Daily Bar.
    If you want to look at a "Daily" chart that is affected by the Trading Hours template, create a "1440 Minute" Chart
    • There are 1440 minutes in a Day
    • This will cause the chart to be built from Minute Bars instead of Daily Bars
    • Since this is being built from Minute Bars, you can change the Trading Hours Template to affect the resulting chart

Since Daily Bars are adjusted for Settlement and sent to NinjaTrader with those specific values, it is possible for the 1440 Minute to have a different Close than the daily bars because NinjaTrader is looking at the Literal Closing price of the last plotted bar. This is different from the Settlement price that the Exhanchange comes up with and sends with the Daily Bars.
    • You can always verify the settlement price of an instrument by going to the Exchange's website for the instrument and comparing the values.
    • Here is a publicly available example of the website you could use to verify the values for the ES 06-22
    Clayton G.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

This was helpful. Thank you.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by helpwanted, Today, 03:06 AM
      1 response
      0 likes
      Last Post sarafuenonly123  
      Started by Brevo, Today, 01:45 AM