Alert on a vertical line

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alert on a vertical line

1. I'm trying to figure out how to attach a time (cycle) based-alert to a vertical line, such as that of the Fibonacci time extension (percentage line).
    Can this be done and if so how? what value needs to be assigned to the line to trigger an alert when a new bar forms (at any price) on that line?

2. Second question that just came up.
    When assigning alerts to standard Fibonacci retracement tool, How can I assign an auditory alert for different levels.
    What I mean is: when price hits 23.6% I want to have the alert say "Fibonacci retrace 23.6".
    Likewise, the same for 38.2 level, and for 50% level.
    I want these alerts (when price crosses above or below) attaced to the different appropriate levels.
    (I already created all these .wav files and have them ready to attach to drawn objects).
    These alerts should be able to expand and contract with the levels when I adjust the Fib retrace/extend tool to different sized trends.
    I would keep this particular drawn Fib tool and keep moving it from day to day, because the alerts are assigned to it.
    Am I going to have to create multiple Fib scales and lay them over top of each other to accomplish this?

Thanks!
    Last edited by TrippTraders; 05-15-2022, 09:51 PM.

Hello TrippTraders,

Thank you for your inquiry.

1. When you say you want a 'time-based alert to a vertical line', what you do mean more specifically? What's a specific set of conditions that you would like the alert to have in order to trigger? I just want to be sure I fully understand what you are wanting from the alert so that I can provide the correct information. In general, you would create time-based alerts using the steps at the guide below;

However, I'm not sure how you would like the Fibonacci time extension would come into play so let me know if the link above does not quite fully resolve your request.

2. It's very simple to create alerts for when the price crosses above or below various price levels because each level is selectable as a 'Drawing tool plot' within the condition builder. There's a guide for how to create such an alert in our help guide at the link below;

While the alert in our help guide uses the 'place an order' action, you would want to just use the 'Play a sound' action instead.

I look forward to your response.
    Zachary S.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Zachary,

I was very specific.
      I don't know how better to explain what I'm looking for without just repeating myself.

1. I want to assign my own auditory alerts to each horizontal level in my own modded Fibonacci Time Cycles tool, so that every time a new candle/bar forms on one of the vertical lines, my alert is triggered.

2. I want to assign my own auditory alerts (multiples for ONE Fibonacci plot) so when price crosses above or below the 23.6, the 38.2, the 50, or the 27.2 extension, my own appropriate alert tells me where it is. The problem is assigning 4 different alerts to one Fib plot.

Please read carefully and think about what I'm asking.

Thanks in advance, sort of.

Tripp

Comment

Hello Tripp,

Thank you for your reply.

1. In order to create a different audio alert for each level, you'd need to create separate alerts for each level. You don't need multiple retracements, just multiple different alerts. Each condition should look as it does in the screenshot at the link below;

Note in the screenshot that I've set the 'Bars Ago' property for the Data Series to 1. This is important so that the alert will sound when the first candle is forming within the level. This is because bars are time-stamped with the end time of the bar. Additionally, I used the 'Greater equals' property to ensure that it sounds once the price crosses within the level. Rather than having multiple conditions on one alert, you'd need to create a single alert for each level of the time extension so that you can set a different sound file for each level. For example, in the brief video that I provided below, I've created a separate alert for the 38.20% line and the 61.80% levels.

The reason that there needs to be a separate alert for each level is because a separate sound file cannot be assigned to each condition within a single alert.

2. Just like with item # 1, the solution is to create a separate alert for each condition for the Fibonacci Retracement. If you want separate audio for cross above and cross below, you will need to create a separate alert for the cross above condition and another alert for the cross below condition with a different sound file applied. You can use the help guide link that I had previously provided (you may view it here as well) as step-by-step instructions for each of the various alerts that you'd like to create. Make sure that you are creating 2 different alerts for each level, one for cross above and one for cross below. Putting all of the conditions into a single alert would not allow you to designate a distinct sound file for each.

Please let us know if we may assist you any further.
        Last edited by NinjaTrader_Zachary; 05-16-2022, 10:39 AM.

Comment

Hi Zach,

1. The Fibonacci multi-alert WORKS BEAUTIFULLY! Thank You! I never thought about adding multiple alerts that way.

2. Even though I followed your awesome instructions to the letter, I still can't get the Time Extensions to work properly.
          a. As soon as I create them and drop the drawing near price, the alert goes off, but does not function when the bar/candle touches it.
          b. I'm not sure about that the rearm type of "On Condition Reversed" is the way to go, but I do know that "On bar close does work but keeps repeating itself.

Ideas?

Tripp

Comment

Hello Tripp,

Thank you for your reply.

A vertical line alert such as this is not technically supported by the conditional operators available. It may not even be possible using the Alerts window. The solution that I provided before was a workaround that I thought I had found while testing. It seemed to be working consistently and as expected previously. Unfortunately, as I am testing it further, it doesn't seem to work in the way that I thought it was working when I was testing before. I misunderstood the way that the conditions were being met when it seemed to be working for me earlier.

The problem that we are running into is that there is no way to compare time-based Data Series values against the vertical levels of the Time Extension. As I test different parameters and review our documentation, it does not seem as though this would be possible using the Alerts window. An alert of this nature would need to be programmed into a custom script using NinjaScript.

The only workaround that I can really think of without using custom NinjaScript would be to create time-based alerts for whatever time each level of the Time Extension occurs on the time axis. For instance, if my 100% line appears at 14:16 PM on my chart, I could create a time-based alert that would sound at that time. While it wouldn't actually be attached to or associated with the Time Extension, it would serve the same purpose. You may read about creating time-based alerts at the link below;

If the above does not suit your needs, then you would need to look into NinjaScript solutions to create a custom script that would allow for this alert.

Comment

Aah.. that's really unfortunate.
              Please place the ability to attach indicators to Fib Cycles in as a request?

Thanks for your help!

Tripp

Comment

Hello Tripp,

Thank you for your response.

No problem! I have submitted this as a feature request to the Development Team. I will follow up with an internal tracking number for your reference as soon as it is created.

Thanks in advance for your patience.
                Last edited by NinjaTrader_Zachary; 05-17-2022, 01:22 PM.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by frslvr, 04-11-2024, 07:26 AM
                6 responses
                1 like
                Last Post NinjaTrader_BrandonH  
                Started by trilliantrader, 04-18-2024, 08:16 AM
                6 responses
                0 likes