Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Buy/Sell stop limit at certain price with hotkey?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buy/Sell stop limit at certain price with hotkey?

When you right click on a chart, you can buy stop limit under current price, or sell stop limit over current price...

Is there a way to configure a hotkey to enter a buy/sell stop limit where the cursor is on the chart... rather than having to right click, click buy/sell, then confirm quantity(which is time consuming in fast moving markets)?

Hi tonydavisonline,

Yes, you can configure hot keys for your needs.

First you need to activate "Use order entry hot keys" in "Control Center" window > Tools > Options > Trading, check mark and clic "OK".
    Second you need to customize your "Custom orders" hot keys in "Control Center" window > Tools > Hot Keys > Order Entry

In the next example there is a hotkey for send an order "Buy Limit" 40 ticks below the price and in the background, bottom, you can see 4 hotkeys, including Sell Stop Limit and Buy Sop Limit:

As a remember, when you use this hot keys, the orders will be sent with the actual ATM Strategy selected, if none ATM Strategy is selected the orders will be sent without Stop loss and Profit...

Click image for larger version  Name:	Custom order.png Views:	0 Size:	19.6 KB ID:	1201965

Have a nice day!!
    Last edited by joselube001; 05-18-2022, 11:09 AM.

Comment

Hello tonydavisonline,

Thank you for the question.

Also, thank you joselube001 for the great response!

I just wanted to verify that joslube001's example is accurate and just wanted to provide a little extra information on the subject.
      • You could change the Order Type to be a Stop Limit order or any of the other order types as desired
      • As well, you can have it be Plus or Minus however many Ticks you want from the Ask or Bid price
      • Then, click the Hot Key section and then press the combination of keys on the keyboard that you want to use for the Hot Key

Please follow along with this video I made for more information on setting up Order Entry Hot Keys and using them:
      Please see the following link for more information on the other Pre-defined Order Action Hot Keys and what they do:Please see the following link for more information on the Risks of using the Order Entry Hot Keys:
      Clayton G.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

So, in other words... the only way to get it at a specific price is to right click the chart like I have been doing... and this is not an option to do with hotkeys.

Thanks!

Comment

Hello tonydavisonline,

Thank you for the follow-up message.

Unfortunately, there is no way to assign a Hot Key to always place an order at a specific price.

While I'm not sure what your trading method is and if this would help at all, but there are two different ways I can think of to have NinjaTrader automatically place an order at a specific price.
          • With an ATM Strategy that is set to the "Price" Parameter type.
          • An Alert that is configured to submit an order at a specific price when certain conditions are met.
            • If the conditions begin to get too complex, it may be better to make a NinjaScript Strategy to do this.

ATM Strategy set to the Price Parameter type:
          I figured I would provide the additional information as a potential Workaround in case you are able to use it in some way that works for you.

Click image for larger version

Name:	LT473a.png
Views:	1507
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	1201987

If you haven't worked with ATM Strategies yet, I highly suggest watching through all of the following publicly available videos for a full tutorial/introduction:
          Use an Alert to submit an order on your behalf at a specific price:

Click image for larger version

Name:	LT474a.png
Views:	1451
Size:	814.7 KB
ID:	1201988

If you haven't worked with Alerts in NinjaTrader yet, please visit the following publicly available links for an introduction/tutorial:

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Clayton View Post
            Hello tonydavisonline,

Unfortunately, there is no way to assign a Hot Key to always place an order at a specific price.

While I'm not sure what your trading method is and if this would help at all, but there are two different ways I can think of to have NinjaTrader automatically place an order at a specific price.
            • With an ATM Strategy that is set to the "Price" Parameter type.
            • An Alert that is configured to submit an order at a specific price when certain conditions are met.
              • If the conditions begin to get too complex, it may be better to make a NinjaScript Strategy to do this.

ATM Strategy set to the Price Parameter type:
            I figured I would provide the additional information as a potential Workaround in case you are able to use it in some way that works for you.

Click image for larger version  Name:	LT473a.png Views:	31 Size:	83.3 KB ID:	1201987

If you haven't worked with ATM Strategies yet, I highly suggest watching through all of the following publicly available videos for a full tutorial/introduction:
            Use an Alert to submit an order on your behalf at a specific price:

Click image for larger version  Name:	LT474a.png Views:	21 Size:	814.7 KB ID:	1201988

If you haven't worked with Alerts in NinjaTrader yet, please visit the following publicly available links for an introduction/tutorial:
            Hi Clayton,

Thanks for the details on the HotKey setup.

I have a little issue with the Hotkey and as follow;

After setting up the Hotkeys (specifically the Custom Hotkeys), if by one reason or the other, my NT8 crashes or hangs and I relaunch it, I have observed that my HotKey setup completely disappears, leaving ONLY the BUILT-IN (predefined) Hotkeys. Consequently, I have to repeat my setup again because the earlier setup is lost during the NT8 crash.

So, my request is this;

Can we have the Hotkey setup saved as a template much like the ATM Strategy or Drawing Tools (e.g. Fib Retracement) templates ... the template can thereafter be restored as desired.

omololu

Comment

Hello omololu,

While there isn't a specific "Hot Keys Template" or Folder, the Hot Key definitions are saved within a file that can be backed up if you export a Backup File.
              • You could also just manually create a copy of the UI file after you have set everything up as desired.
              • Then if something unexpected ever happened and caused this information to be lost again, you could just replace the File in NinjaTrader with your manual backup

To include this in a Backup File:
              • Disconnect from all account connections in the Connections menu
              • Go to the Control Center > Tools > Export > Backup File > Check the box next to "Configuration Files"
              • Click Export and then save the file

To Manually Backup this File:
              • Close NinjaTrader
              • Go to the Documents Folder > NinjaTrader 8 > "UI", sometimes "UI.xml", this is the file that holds the Hot Key Definitions.
              • Copy this file and then paste it somewhere safe or in multiple locations to have backups
              • If for some reason the Hot Key Definitions disappear, put a copy of this manual backup back into its original location and overwrite what is there

Finally, if your NinjaTrader platform keeps crashing for no apparent reason, I suggest writing to the Platform Support team directly with your log and trace files so we can look into things further and see if we can find the source of the crashing and resolve that so it's no longer happening.
              • Go to the Control Center > Help > Email Support
              • Enter your email
              • Enter the Subject as "Clayton ATTN ##REQUESTID##"
              • Body: Provide more information on the behavior and when/what is happening when it crashes.
              • Check the following boxes:
              • Log and Trace files
              • Send the message

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Clayton View Post
                Hello omololu,

While there isn't a specific "Hot Keys Template" or Folder, the Hot Key definitions are saved within a file that can be backed up if you export a Backup File.
                • You could also just manually create a copy of the UI file after you have set everything up as desired.
                • Then if something unexpected ever happened and caused this information to be lost again, you could just replace the File in NinjaTrader with your manual backup

To include this in a Backup File:
                • Disconnect from all account connections in the Connections menu
                • Go to the Control Center > Tools > Export > Backup File > Check the box next to "Configuration Files"
                • Click Export and then save the file

To Manually Backup this File:
                • Close NinjaTrader
                • Go to the Documents Folder > NinjaTrader 8 > "UI", sometimes "UI.xml", this is the file that holds the Hot Key Definitions.
                • Copy this file and then paste it somewhere safe or in multiple locations to have backups
                • If for some reason the Hot Key Definitions disappear, put a copy of this manual backup back into its original location and overwrite what is there

Finally, if your NinjaTrader platform keeps crashing for no apparent reason, I suggest writing to the Platform Support team directly with your log and trace files so we can look into things further and see if we can find the source of the crashing and resolve that so it's no longer happening.
                • Go to the Control Center > Help > Email Support
                • Enter your email
                • Enter the Subject as "Clayton ATTN ##REQUESTID##"
                • Body: Provide more information on the behavior and when/what is happening when it crashes.
                • Check the following boxes:
                • Log and Trace files
                • Send the message
                Clayton,

Thanks for the "EYE-OPENER". I'm so excited about the tips ... GREAT !!!

The crashing of my NT8 is usually "self-inflicted" ... my PC resources are low and poor. In any case, I get around putting NT8 back to normal running state whenever it crashes or hangs even without the need to reinstall it.

Thanks once again.

omololu

Comment

This is great info. I have additional question for this Hot Key Input

1)What is "Offset" input used for? offset against what?
                  NinjaTrader 8

2) Where can I set the default number of contract to place using this hotkley stop limit order placement? I find it sometimes picks up my previous traded contract automatically but sometimes asked to verify number of contract before finalizing and missed the entry.

Thank you,
                  Marble

Comment

Hello Marble,

Thanks for your note.

The 'Offset' field is applicable only to submitting Stop Limit orders using Hot Keys.

When submitting a stop-limit order, this field allows you to set the limit offset of the order (the number of ticks away at which you wish to place the Limit price of the Stop-Limit order).

This field will be greyed out when trying to place a Limit order since this option only applies to Stop Limit orders.

The default number of contracts submitted is determined by the Quantity field of the Order Entry window you are trading in.

For example, if you set up a custom Hot Key to place a Limit order 20 ticks below the bid price, set the Quantity field in the SuperDOM or Chart Trader to 10, and use your Hot Key to submit the Limit order, a quantity of 10 contracts would be submitted.

See this help guide page for more information about custom Hot Keys: https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...omOrderActions

And, see this help guide page as well: https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...h_hot_keys.htm

Let me know if I may assist further.
                    Brandon H.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Brandon,
                      Thank you for your explanation. The contract default is now clear.
                      Can you plese provide the eraboral offset explanation with scenario? I am still not clear how this offset is against for and how it is used,
                      Thanks,
                      Marble

Comment

Hello Marble,

Thanks for your note.

I am not entirely sure what exactly you mean by 'eraboral'.

That said, I see in the screenshot you shared that you are creating a Limit order.

When creating a custom Hot Key to place an order, the 'Limit Offset' field will only be used specifically when creating a Stop Limit order.

The 'Limit Offset' field is NOT used for Limit orders and will be greyed out and not selectable. Limit orders only contain a Limit Price which is set in the 'Price' field.

Stop Limit orders contain both a Limit Price and a Stop Price. When creating a custom Hot Key to place a Stop Limit order, the 'Price' field allows you to set the Stop Price of the order. The 'Limit Offset' field will allow you to specify how far the Limit Price is offset by the Stop Price by a set number of ticks.

For example, if you create a custom Hot Key to place a Stop Limit order, you could specify that Stop Price for the Stop Limit order is set to Bid minus 20 ticks. Then, you would use set the 'Limit Offset' field to 10 ticks and the Limit Price of the Stop Limit order will be 10 ticks from the specified Stop Price (Bid mins 20 ticks) of the Stop Limit order. See the attached screenshot demonstrating this.

Attached Files

Comment

Hello Brandon
                          Sorry for type I meant elaborate.

I am not clear what you mean by Limit Price and Stop price. My main interest is Stop Limit Hot key as mentioned.
                          Say, I place using Buy Stop Limit, 20 ticks above current ask price. Even I set 10 tick offset, I see no additional line.
                          I only see stop limit order set 20 ticks above. So I am confused how I can visually confirm the offset setting.
                          Also, in what situation, is this offset setting beneficial?
                          Thanks,
                          Marble

Comment

Hello Marble,

Thanks for your note.

The stop-limit order offers the trader complete control over the order. Like a stop order, the stop-limit order waits until the specified stop price has been reached. Unlike the stop order though, the stop-limit order becomes a limit order instead of a market order when the stop price is reached. The drawback for a stop-limit order is the same as all limit orders; the trader might not be filled if the limit price is never reached.

Note that the Limit Price of a Stop Limit order will not display visually on a chart. When placing a Stop Limit order, only the Stop Price of the order is displayed.

Comment

Brandon,

Unfortuntely that is not the explanation asked for. I am clear on the difference between stop limit order and stop market order.
                              The question is what is input for "offset".

Please explain with clear example. e.g a) buy stop limt order with 10 tick from current price, offset with 0 b) buy stop limt order with 10 tick from current price, offset with 10
                              what is the difference between a and b.

Marble

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by zstheorist, Today, 07:52 PM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post zstheorist  
                              Started by pmachiraju, 11-01-2023, 04:46 AM
                              8 responses