Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

What can we infer about market participant behavior from the 1 tick chart?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What can we infer about market participant behavior from the 1 tick chart?

Forgive me if this is not exactly a technical support question; however, I am seeking to understand what conclusions I can draw from the incoming Continuum data.

Per this help guide, Continuum data arrives pre-timestamped.

The main question: when timestamps are equal for multiple ticks in a row (down to the millisecond) on a 1 tick chart, can we assume the price action for that specific timestamp is the result of one or more market orders filling multiple limit orders on the order book? Since each tick is an individual trade, three ticks in a row with the same timestamp could be the result of three limit sell orders at the ask (arranged by FIFO) filled by one market buy order at the ask with volume equal to the sum of the individual tick volumes, right?

Obviously market orders can arrive and execute on the exchange in sub-millisecond intervals. Does Ninjatrader show the timestamp as it's received from Continuum, or is there any "bucketing" / "rounding" of trade times into single millisecond-level buckets to then show on the chart?

I am trying to arrive at an understanding like this (hope ASCII table format comes through):
    Code:
    [FONT=Courier New]|               |       All same times                  |          All different times         |
    |---------------|---------------------------------------|--------------------------------------|
    | All different | Large market order fills limit orders | Nothing special to infer            [/FONT][FONT=Courier New] |[/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New]| prices        | at continuously different prices      |                                      |
    |---------------|---------------------------------------|--------------------------------------|
    | All same      | Large market order fills (smaller)    | [/FONT][FONT=Courier New]Small market orders "eating away at"[/FONT][FONT=Courier New] |
    | [/FONT][FONT=Courier New]prices[/FONT][FONT=Courier New]        | limit orders at same price            | [/FONT][FONT=Courier New]a large limit order                  |[/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New]|---------------|---------------------------------------|--------------------------------------|[/FONT]
    Thanks in advance!

Hello WordleIn2,

Thank you very much for your post,

NinjaTrader would always show the timestamp as it is received from Continuum/CQG, without e.g. rounding it.

In the end, each tick that arrives from the exchange is an execution. This means a buy or a sell, and it can be for X quantity. That could be a full amount of an [market] order if it can fill at a certain [limit] price, or a partial amount from multiple executions/ticks if a limit order cant fill the market order.

As an example: If the seller submits a sell order for a quantity of 5 contracts, and this fills the active orders of 5 individual Buy-1-orders, I would expect all five executions to still show the exact same time, even if listed individually.

Should you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to let me know!
    Manfred F.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
    Started by andrewtrades, Today, 04:57 PM
    1 response
    0 likes
    Last Post NinjaTrader_Manfred  
    Started by chbruno, Today, 04:10 PM
    0 responses
    0 likes