User Data Location and Command Line Switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

User Data Location and Command Line Switch

My question is has the command line switch functionality described below (in blue text) been removed? I am trying to place the user data directory which holds your market data, configuration files, workspaces, indicators, etc. in a location other than my "Documents" folder. The command line switch functionality appeared to have worked for several users as late as 2017.

If this is the case, why would this functionality be removed?

Is there another option available to relocate the user data directory?

The following is a screenshot of the properties window for my NT8 64 bit application shortcut. The Target field is not editable. I am unable to add the command line switch to the shortcut Target.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2022-06-12 224718.png
Views:	681
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	1204926

Thank you in advance for your help.

The below was copied from a reply to a post in May 2015 by NinjaTrader_Matthew. I copied and posted here for reference.

With NinjaTrader 8, there is now a command line switch that can be manually be appended to the end of a shortcut's target which will then look for the NinjaTrader's user data directory in a non-standard location.

To set this up:
    • Ensure NinjaTrader 8 has been installed and is operational from the standard C:\Users\<User name>\Documents\NinjaTrader 8 location
    • Once verified, manually copy the existing user data directory in Documents\NinjaTrader 8 folder to a desired location
    • (i.e., from C:\Users\<Use name>\Documents\NinjaTrader 8 to D:\MyNT8)

After the folder and its contents have been copied over, you can then add the command line switch to a shortcut's target:
    • Right click on an existing application shortcut, such as from your desktop or the start menu-> select "Properties"-> select "Shortcut" tab.
    • Update the "Target" field with the /d switch and include your desired location:
    • (i.e., "C:\Program Files (x86)\NinjaTrader 8\bin\NinjaTrader.exe" /d "D:\MyNT8")

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n873662[/ATTACH]

After this has been set up, when you click on that application shortcut it will look for the user directory in the desired location. This will allow you to store your user data in another disk or folder without having to redirect your entire documents directory.
    Attached Files

Hello HTXNine,

Thank you for writing in.

Unfortunately, changing anything about the installation of NinjaTrader results in a Custom Installation that the NinjaTrader Platform Support Team cannot provide further technical support and information on.
    • So, we are unable to provide any further help or information on the process that you are referring to.

If you are trying to change the routing of the files because you do not have enough space left on your current hard drive, then you could upgrade the Hard Drive to a bigger one with more space so that you do not have to set up a "Custom" installation of NinjaTrader.

Clayton G.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

This did not seem to be a "Custom" installation a few years ago and was apparently functionality that was added to NT8 - the ability to point the shortcut to an alternative user data location.

When and why did NT8 discard this functionality?

And, thanks for the hardware tip, upgrading the hard drive to a bigger one with more space is not an option, hence my interest in a solution NT previously offered.

Am I missing something in the steps described above by NT support or did NT get rid of this functionality?

Comment

Hello HTXNine,

Thank you for the message.

This was not a "Feature" that was added to the NinjaTrader 8 platform or we would have it documented within the Help Guide - Release Notes section.

It was a manipulation of the Windows files and features to be able to install NinjaTrader in a way that is not actually supported by our support team.

This may have been a miscommunication with the technician that initially provided the workaround 7 years ago, but this is not something we would suggest for a user to do.

At this time, we are unable to provide any further steps or information on the quoted information as it would create a custom installation environment that the NinjaTrader Platform support team could not support.
        • If you figure out how to make it work and something unexpected happens with the platform or an order, we wouldn't be able to provide any further help or support on why it happened until NinjaTrader was installed as expected.

While it may not be an option for you with your current computer setup, the only workaround I can suggest is reconfiguring your computer and files in a way that provides you with more storage space.

If you are running low on storage space, you could:
        • Periodically remove the Historical Data Files to free up space
          • Close NinjaTrader
            • Go to the Documents folder > NinjaTrader 8 > db > Remove the following folders
              • Day
              • Tick
              • Minute
              • Cache
          • Reopen NinjaTrader and connect to market data to re-download only the Historical data that is needed to load in your charts.
        • Remove Old backup files:
          • If you automatically export a backup file, these can start to take up a large amount of space. You could remove Older ones that you no longer need
            • Go to the Documents folder > NinjaTrader 8 Backup > Keep a few that you know have everything you need inside of them and remove the rest

Comment

Originally posted by HTXNine View Post
          I am trying to place the user data directory which holds your market data, configuration files, workspaces, indicators, etc. in a location other than my "Documents" folder.
          There are other ways.

Good reading here and here.

Comment

Clayton, thank you for the clarification. Would you please consider adding the ability to maintain user data files in a location other than the Documents folder as native NT functionality. This seems an unnecessary limitation.

bltdavid, I will take a look at the links you provided. Thank you for that.

Comment

Hello HTXNine,

Thank you for the follow-up message.

That is a great suggestion!

I have submitted the following feature request to the Development Team. I will follow up with an internal tracking number for your reference as soon as it is created.
              • "Add the ability to easily map where you want the NinjaTrader data files/folders to be stored/located across different drives on the computer"
              Thank you for your patience!

Comment

Hello HTXNine,

Thank you for your patience.

The internal tracking number for this feature request is SFT-SFT-5601. Please reference this internal tracking number when contacting Platform Support if you ever have questions regarding this feature request.

When a feature request is implemented, you'll find a description of the new feature in the release notes:Thanks again for your patience!

Comment

+1

Please add my vote.

Comment

+1 vote for that "feature"

PS: It is necessary to configure this in the installation process, because it failes when using NT in Domain environment with network profiles (//profile-server/users/USERNAME/documents/)

Comment

Hello bltdavid and marcogruhl,

Thanks for your notes.

Your votes have been added to this feature request.
                      Brandon H.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

+ 1 vote from me please !

Comment

Hello rmez01,

Thanks for your note.

I have added your vote to this feature request.

Comment

+1 vote from me as well!

Comment

Hello wadams,

Thanks for your note.

I have added your vote to this feature request.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by Jon17, Today, 04:33 PM
                              0 responses
                              1 view
                              0 likes
                              Last Post Jon17
                              by Jon17

Started by Javierw.ok, Today, 04:12 PM