Brokers and Account API

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brokers and Account API

I was setting up my data connection for Forex.com and received a message that said the connection doesn't support account API and that if my system should lose connection, then reconnect, it wouldn't know anything about current open positions.

I also have a broker account with ninjatrader and I think that when I lose connection it knows what trades are open when it reconnects.

I am looking to understand how this works. My connection to my ninjatrader broker account is through NinjaTrader Continuum. If I was to have an open position when a connection is lost, when a connection is reestablished, would NinjaTrader 8 recognize that open position? I am looking to confirm if that is true or not.

Is there a Forex broker service and connection that would work similar with ninja trader, so that when the system reconnects it would recognize an open position?

Hello jeliner,

Thank you for writing in.

Information on the Forex.com Connection:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Forex.com Disclaimer.png
Views:	327
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	1206035
    The Disclaimer above can be seen at the bottom of the Forex.com Connection guide linked below:
    So, if you place an order from outside of the NinjaTrader Platform, it will not show up in the NinjaTrader Platform.

Due to a limitation of the API that is used when connecting to a Forex.com connection, there is no Historical Information on Market Orders specifically.
    • You would be able to see Stop Limit and Limit orders historically
    • It just wouldn't show you the Market Orders
      • You could always refer to your official broker's report for the history of your trades

Information on the NinjaTrader Continuum connection:

Click image for larger version

Name:	NT Continuum Disclaimer.png
Views:	264
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	1206036

The NinjaTrader Continuum Connection does not have anything that would prevent the platform from seeing the orders if you turned it off and then back on again.

As long as you ensure the orders have made it to an "Accepted" or "Working" state at your Brokerage/Exchange, the orders would have made it to your Brokerage/Exchange's servers and would live there.
    • Then if you were to restart the computer and connect to your account, the platform would be able to download the Historical Limit and Market order information and show the order history
    • As well, if the order filled while NinjaTrader was closed, the order information would still be downloaded and show as "External" if you connect within the same Traing Session that the order filled

More information on the other Forex Providers:

You can visit the link below to see all of the different Brokers and Market Data Providers that provide Forex market data:
    Every Broker and the Connection technology it uses is going to have its own caveats. If there is a disclaimer about the connection, you can see it at the bottom of the Connection Guide for that connection type:
    ​​​​​​​It is up to you to read through the disclaimer of each and do some internet searches and figure out which one best fits your needs and where the limitations of the connection technology will not affect how you plan on trading.
    • If you have any further questions about a specific connection type, please let us know and we will provide the information that we can.
    • We only have so much documentation on what each market data provider/broker provides, so depending on the depth of the questions, you may need to reach out to the Broker/Market Data provider directly for more information
    Clayton G.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

When it comes to trading platforms like NinjaTrader, the ability to recognize and manage open positions upon reconnection often depends on the broker's execution and order management system, as well as the specific connection technology used. Let me break down how this typically works and address your questions:
      1. Recognition of Open Positions Upon Reconnection:
        • NinjaTrader: NinjaTrader is a popular trading platform that can be used with various brokers. When you establish a connection to a broker through NinjaTrader (e.g., NinjaTrader Continuum or any other supported broker), it typically maintains a real-time connection to the broker's servers. If you have open positions and the connection is lost temporarily, NinjaTrader will attempt to reconnect to the broker's servers.
        • Open Position Recognition: In most cases, NinjaTrader will recognize your open positions once the connection is reestablished. This is because the broker's servers maintain information about your account and open positions. When NinjaTrader reconnects, it retrieves this information and can display your current open positions, including those related to the company data API, and account status accurately.​
      Last edited by Iandian; 09-08-2023, 12:38 AM.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by PaulMohn, Today, 03:49 AM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post PaulMohn  
      Started by inanazsocial, Today, 01:15 AM
      1 response
      0 likes
      Last Post NinjaTrader_Jason