X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

global draw object/objects layer control/options

hi support,

i have a few charts for the same instruments

for the reference charts, they have indicators that draw global objects (aka horizontal lines)

on my main chart, i have 'show global draw objects' turned on and i see the horiztonal lines - this is great

however, the problem occurs when the global object horizontal lines overlap the lines on my main chart (hence the indicator lines on my main chart is obstructed from view)

after looking into this, i see the global draw objects are on the higher layers than the lines drawn from the indicators on my main chart

i tried changing it so that the global objects are on lower layers or lowest layers and SAVING it this way - however, it seems like the global objects layering settings do not save and when i reload the chart again, the global objects are once again at the highest layers (blocking my main chart's horizontal lines)

thus, is there a way to control/adjust so that the global draw objects are BY DEFAULT showing at the lowest layers (not the highest layers)?

thank you very much

Hello whats1thingnow,

Thank you for your post.

As noted in the Help Guide, "Making a draw object global means that the object would be redrawn and thus the z-order reset to its default."

When the object is redrawn, it is drawn to the highest layer of the z-order. I believe that when a workspace is saved and then re-opened, the objects are re-drawn globally yet again which results in them being on the highest layer.

That being said, once a drawing object drawn programmatically from an indicator is made global, it is not attached to the indicator anymore and it is attached directly to the charts instead. In NinjaScript, there is an IDrawingTool property for ZOrderType that may be set to AlwaysDrawnLast. This would result in the drawing objects from the indicator being drawn last and setting them to a higher layer than any global drawing objects that were not drawn from the indicator. The IDrawingTool properties are listed on the help guide page here:

I have created a simple example, GlobalDrawingZOrderExample, that draws a global horizontal line on the first bar of the session. It uses ZOrderType.AlwaysDrawnLast, so it is shown on the highest layer of charts. Even if you draw additional global objects outside of the indicator, the lines drawn from the indicator will remain on top. This is also the case after saving and re-opening a workspace.

I do see how this could be considered more of a workaround rather than addressing your main request for global draw objects to be shown on the lowest z-order layers by default or to have the z-order of global draw objects saved and restored with the workspace. I have submitted this as a feature request to the Development Team. I will follow up with an internal tracking number for your reference as soon as it is created.

Thanks in advance for your patience.
    Attached Files
    Emily C.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

global draw objects to be shown on the lowest z-order layers by default
      yes, that would be great!

have the z-order of global draw objects saved and restored with the workspace
      this would be amazing as well

both options have pros and cons as 1st one is easier, and 2nd one is more flexible

thank you for the help!

Comment

Hello whats1thingnow,

Thanks for your patience.

Your vote has been added to SFT-1977. Please reference this internal tracking number when contacting Platform Support if you ever have questions regarding this feature request.

When a feature request is implemented, you'll find a description of the new feature in the release notes:Please let us know if we may be of further assistance.

Comment

global draw objects to be shown on the lowest z-order layers by default
          there is no way to speed this up right? other than more votes?

also, i want to understand correctly what you were saying before in your example

I have created a simple example, GlobalDrawingZOrderExample, that draws a global horizontal line on the first bar of the session. It uses ZOrderType.AlwaysDrawnLast, so it is shown on the highest layer of charts. Even if you draw additional global objects outside of the indicator, the lines drawn from the indicator will remain on top. This is also the case after saving and re-opening a workspace.
          if i understand correctly, as of right now, there is nothing we can do for the indicators on the reference charts to force the draw global objects (aka horizontal lines) to be on the highest layers on other charts

however, if ALL of my indicators on my main chart have DrawingToolZOrder.AlwaysDrawnLast, then effectively all indicators lines on the chart will appear on top of any global objects?

thanks

Comment

Hello whats1thingnow,

Thank you for your reply.

You are correct; we use feature requests to measure interest for a feature and that is one of the items considered when implementing new features. As far as the explanation with the example, your understanding seems to be in line with what I experienced while testing objects drawn via an indicator vs. objects drawn manually on a chart (both globally and locally). When an object is drawn last, it is drawn on the topmost layer, even when other manually added global drawing objects are also drawn on the chart.

Please let us know if we may be of further assistance.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by funk10101, Today, 09:43 PM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post funk10101  
            Started by pkefal, 04-11-2024, 07:39 AM
            11 responses
            0 likes