Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Multiple (2) connections - does it matter which you connect to first?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Multiple (2) connections - does it matter which you connect to first?

Hello guys,

Very basic question.

I have two connections:

IQ Feed (data only)

Ninjatrader Continuum (data feed and also where I execute through Ninjatrader Brokerage)

Does it matter which I connect to first?

For futures data, I have access to the same data with IQ / NT, but on IQ I also have some index data (SPX, etc.).

Thank you.

Hello,

What you will want to do Johnny is setup your "Market Routing Data" for NT8 to define what will be the primary vs secondary feed, so regardless what order, you know how they will function. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_avHsEmUlFI <-- did this tutorial on it which will show you how to do this pretty easly.
    xabcdtrading
    NinjaTrader Ecosystem Vendor - XABCD trading

Comment

Hello Johnny,

Thank you for your reply.

If you don't set your preferred connections for each instrument type, NinjaTrader will use the first connected data feed that supports that instrument type as the data for it.

Here's a page from our help guide that goes over setting default connections for each instrument type:

Please let us know if we may be of further assistance to you.
      Kate W.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

The preferred Connection for Instrument types is good ... as far as it goes.

However, it is essentially based on the platform's restrictive practise of only allowing one Price Connection per Instrument type.

Every Connection has a Price Connection and an Order Connection. Obviously, the Order Connection must be (and is) to the relevant broker. However, the Price Connection is mandatorily to either the first of the Instrument type connected or the set preferred Connection for that Instrument type.

In the case, for example, where a trader has a Forex account with one broker and another Forex account with a different broker, the prices at those brokers will almost certainly be different in real time. That means different Ask, Bid and spreads. BUT, the platform will only provide ONE market data (Price) feed for Forex, meaning that it is impossible to trade two Accounts, each with a different broker, at the same time with accurate price data for both. It's crucial to know the real, actual prices for every account! The current capabilities do not make this possible in the simple and probably common scenario I have given here.

Many people on this forum ask about the ability to trade multiple Accounts at the same time. This is an issue that does need to be addressed. The ability to connect to multiple market data Price feeds (by Account) is essential and needs to be a planned enhancement.

Further discussion on this here: https://ninjatrader.com/support/foru...-by-connection

Thanks.
        Multi-Dimensional Managed Trading
        jeronymite
        NinjaTrader Ecosystem Vendor - Mizpah Software

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Kate View Post
          Hello Johnny,

Thank you for your reply.

If you don't set your preferred connections for each instrument type, NinjaTrader will use the first connected data feed that supports that instrument type as the data for it.

Here's a page from our help guide that goes over setting default connections for each instrument type:

Please let us know if we may be of further assistance to you.
          Hi, Kate,

The specific question was if it matters in which sequence I connect for trading purposes as my trades go through Continuum, not IQ Feed.

Logically, I would then think I should connect to Continuum first, but maybe it's of no consequence.

Thank you.

Johnny

Comment

Hello Johnny,

Orders will route to the account you select in the Order Entry window's (or strategy's) Account Selector.

The accounts available are not affected by connection order.

Let us know if there is anything else we can do to help.
            JimNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by pmachiraju, 11-01-2023, 04:46 AM
            8 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post rehmans
            by rehmans

Started by mattbsea, Today, 05:44 PM
            0 responses