Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Errors when executing the stream reader.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Errors when executing the stream reader.

I ran the stream reader with Visual Steudios 2022 and got the error message as attached, how can I resolve this?
    Attached Files

Hello ラリー,

Thank you for your post.

Are you trying to use the debugger in Visual Studio? If so, there are some specific steps that you need to follow in order to prevent error messages such as the one in your screenshot. The steps are listed in our help guide along with helpful images here:

After ensuring that Debug Mode is checked when you right-click in your NinjaScript Editor, please be sure to compile your scripts as well to create the debug DLL. From Visual Studio, you will need to open the debug menu and select "Attach to Process" to attach it to NinjaTrader. I suspect this is what the error you got is referring to; after attaching to NinjaTrader you should be able to run your indicator in NinjaTrader and utilize debugging tools within Visual Studio.

Please let us know if we may be of further assistance.
    Emily C.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thank you for your reply.

I am not sure if you are trying to use the debugger in Visual Studio, but I am trying to do something like the link below.

After ensuring that Debug Mode is checked when you right-click in your NinjaScript Editor, please be sure to compile your scripts as well to create the debug DLL. From Visual Studio, you will need to open the debug menu and select "Attach to Process" to attach it to NinjaTrader. I suspect this is what the error you got is referring to; after attaching to NinjaTrader you should be able to run your indicator in NinjaTrader and utilize debugging tools within Visual Studio.

I did that and the output results are as shown in the attached image, is that correct?

Attached Files

Comment

Hello ラリー,

Thank you for your reply and your patience.

The SampleStreamReader script won't work unless the file "MyTestFile.txt" already exists in the NinjaTraer 8 folder on your PC. The SampleStreamWriter script (found here) creates and writes OHLC data to the file, and the SampleStreamReader script will parse through that data and print it to the NinjaScript Output window. If you would like to test the SampleStreamReader script, you will have to import both the SampleStreamWriter and SampleStreamReader scripts into NInjaTrader and add the indicators to a chart. To Import:
        1. From the Control Center window select the menu Tools > Import > NinjaScript Add-on.
        2. Select the downloaded .zip file
        3. NinjaTrader will then confirm if the import has been successful.

Critical - Specifically for some NinjaScripts, it will prompt that you are running newer versions of @SMA, @EMA, etc. and ask if you want to replace, press 'No'

Once installed, you may add the indicator to a chart by:
        • Right-click your chart > Indicators... > Select the Indicator from the 'Available' list on the left > Add > OK

Here is a short video demonstration of the import process:

I have created a video demonstrating how these scripts work together:

Please let me know if I may be of further assistance.

Comment

I seem to have been able to output the same, thank you.
          You also mentioned that both SampleStreamReader scripts need to be imported into NInjaTrader and the indicators added to the chart, is this possible in Market Analyzer as well?

As another question I would like to ask, I tried to import external CSV data (stocks) and it looks like the attached image, what could be the cause?
          Attached Files

Comment

Hello ラリー,

You can certainly use StreamReader for an indicator column in the Market Analyzer, although you will most likely need to modify the script so that different instruments write to separate .txt files; if multiple instruments are updating and trying to access the file to edit it at the same time you could experience some errors that the file "is being used by another process." The file path uses a string, so you could do something like include the instrument name in the string for the path used. For more information about StreamWriter and StreamReader, please see the following publicly available Microsoft documentation:

Implements a TextWriter for writing characters to a stream in a particular encoding.

Implements a TextReader that reads characters from a byte stream in a particular encoding.

For your additional question, data must be imported as a .txt file and follow the format as listed in the help guide here:

This means you may need to convert the CSV data you have to a .txt file and ensure it is formatted accordingly.

Comment

Hello.

You can certainly use StreamReader for an indicator column in the Market Analyzer, although you will most likely need to modify the script so that different instruments write to separate .
              I did refer you to the link.
              I could not find which of the items in the link mentioned whether the script could be modified so that the different devices write to separate .

This means you may need to convert the CSV data you have to a .txt file and ensure it is formatted accordingly.
              So you are saying that you cannot import in CSV without converting to text?
              I tried the CSV conversion on the link, but I don't know which item is around which link, so I apologize for the trouble.

Comment

Hello ラリー,

Thank you for your patience.

I have modified the SampleStreamWriter and SampleStreamReader scripts to demonstrate one way you could change the file name in the path to include the instrument's name using Instrument.FullName. Please see the attached scripts.

SampleStreamWriterInstrumentNames.zip
                SampleStreamReaderInstrumentNames.zip

I'm not sure which CSV conversion you are referring to. One simple way to save a CSV file as a text file is to open it in a program such as Microsoft Excel. Next, select File > Save As. In the folder that opens, change the file type dropdown menu to .txt then give your file a name. Once you click save, your newly saved file will be a .txt file. Otherwise, you may need to do additional research from outside resources regarding how to format your CSV data file into a .txt file that will comply with the requirements for NinjaTrader Historical Data imports.

Please let me know if I may be of further assistance.

Comment

I have modified the SampleStreamWriter and SampleStreamReader scripts to demonstrate one way you could change the file name in the path to include the instrument's name using Instrument.FullName. Please see the attached scripts.

SampleStreamWriterInstrumentNames.zip
                  SampleStreamReaderInstrumentNames.zip

Thanks to your help, those seem to have worked.
                  I added them to the Market Analyzer, as it seems to have created a text file with multiple data and symbol names.

I'm not sure which CSV conversion you are referring to. One simple way to save a CSV file as a text file is to open it in a program such as Microsoft Excel. Next, select File > Save As. In the folder that opens, change the file type dropdown menu to .txt then give your file a name. Once you click save, your newly saved file will be a .txt file. Otherwise, you may need to do additional research from outside resources regarding how to format your CSV data file into a .txt file that will comply with the requirements for NinjaTrader Historical Data imports.
                  I converted the CSV file to text (attachment 1) and re-imported it, but the message is displayed as attachment 2 and does not work.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by ラリー; 09-02-2022, 04:44 AM.

Comment

Hello ラリー,

Thank you for the follow-up.

Based on your screenshot, although the file is not in .txt format the formatting of the data itself within the document does not follow the required format for importing. This is specified in the help guide link I shared previously:

For example, if the data in the file is for daily bars, the format would need to be like this:

yyyyMMdd;open price;high price;low price;close price;volume

Sample data:

20061023;1377.25;1377.25;1377.25;1377.25;86

20061024;1377.25;1377.25;1377.25;1377.25;27

20061025;1377.25;1377.25;1377.25;1377.25;24

20061026;1377.50;1377.50;1377.25;1377.25;82

The historical data import tool is not able to read the data points unless they are in the specified formats from that help guide page.

I appreciate your patience. Please feel free to reach out with any additional questions or concerns.

Comment

Am I correct in understanding that you can import symbol market price data, but you cannot import past trading gains/losses?

Comment

Hello ラリー,

Thank you for your note.

That is correct, historical trade data is stored in the database file and you would not be able to import that data aside from restoring a previously saved backup file that was exported from NinjaTrader:

Comment

It has helped me to better understand.
                          I may ask you again about something else, and thank you in advance.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                          Started by algospoke, Yesterday, 06:40 PM
                          2 responses
                          0 likes
                          Last Post algospoke  
                          Started by ghoul, Today, 06:02 PM
                          3 responses
                          0 likes
                          Last Post NinjaTrader_Manfred