Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Newest Release downloading data continually...??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newest Release downloading data continually...??

Hello Support,

I recently upgraded to 8.0.26.1 64-bit version.

That was yesterday... so I'm not sure if NT is going through some slow process over time to collect historical data as this is a fresh install... but I'm monitoring the data NT is pulling and it is continually downloading in a very systematic way. Please see a few screen shots attached...

Any ideas why? The Host IP address references YouTube with is odd. I notice that in the top right of the control panel window there is now a "Watch" Youtube link..

This is not present on my install of NT on a remote server... version 8.0.26.0 64-bit and coincidentally that install is not constantly using data...

Click image for larger version

Name:	NT data download by host and app.PNG
Views:	485
Size:	10.6 KB
ID:	1214380

This screen shot shows the data download stopping as soon as I closed out NT. It is important to note that I had closed all data connections at this point. But for some reason NT was continuing to download something.....??

Name:	NT constant download.PNG
Views:	487
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	1214384
    Attached Files

Follow up request... is it possible to get the install file for the prior version.... 8.0.26.0 64-bit ?

Comment

Hello MattD888,

Thanks for your post.

The activity to Youtube that you see has to do with keeping NinjaTrader informed on daily events. This controls the "Watch" button.

Release Notes for 26.1 mention this change here:

https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...ease_notes.htm

Older versions of the platform are not available.

Let us know if you have any additional questions.
      JimNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

I sure hope this is something that can be addressed by the Dev team. NT pulling so much data is a pretty significant problem for those on limited bandwidth internet. The best I can tell... there is zero benefit to the trader by NT pulling all this data. Finger crossed...

Comment

Ninja.... Please check with the Dev team to see how this can be throttled down... it really doesn't make sense to be using so much data so we, the user, might want to watch the streaming shows. It makes zero sense to pull nearly 2GB of data in the last 3 hours to support the YouTube streaming functionality. Please work on a resolution... this is a bit over the top.

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Jim View Post
            Older versions of the platform are not available.
            MattD888 I'm assuming NinjaTrader made an honest mistake by not telling you this ... but you can download it by going to the main ninjatrader.com page, putting in your email and grabbing it here...

Name:	ninjatrader-previous-version.png
Views:	473
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	1214964

xabcdtrading
            NinjaTrader Ecosystem Vendor - XABCD trading

Comment

Hello xabcdtrading,

Thank you for clarifying for the thread.

Yes - The Previous version is available, but previous smaller releases (I.E. R26, when R26.1 is available) would not be accessible.

Also keep in mind that if you experience a technical issue we will need to update you to the latest version for any troubleshooting or issue reporting.

Comment

NT is using, NEEDS, 16 Gig/Day for a button to advertise it's "Live Events" ? Who cares, Who asked for it. Get rid of it, at least make a way to turn it OFF. There are a few people using your TOY to Trade, this is NOT helping. Life Time Licensee, yeah laugh.

I posted about this, https://ninjatrader.com/support/foru...ge#post1214842, back in July. After 20 Emails back and forth, the only explanation I got was "it just is what it is". I guess this is some progress, at least you guys have figured out WHY you need 16 Gig/Day.

Comment

“Also keep in mind that if you experience a technical issue we will need to update you to the latest version for any troubleshooting or issue reporting.”

Following this policy forces Users EITHER to be stuck on an unsupported Version through no fault of their own, OR to update (I refrain from using the term upgrade) to a Version which is not fit for purpose. A trading platform requiring 16Gb/day for a non-essential feature is quite simply ridiculous, which numb skull in Development thought that was a good idea?

At the time this was identified I was contacted by a User by DM who was having problems with chart lag, had noticed the high data use and was concerned the two may be related.
                  This high data use has potential negative implications for those who have limited bandwidth, pay for data, use satellite connections, those with low speed connections etc.

My situations is this - I have invested a huge amount of time creating a workspace that overcomes NT8’s inherent shortcomings which make it highly susceptible to chart lag (probably the biggest single topic on this forum). Whilst my charting requirements are extremely simple in trading terms, I have had to use 3rd party indicators as this cannot be done with the core Platform alone without lag. I have a slow up/download narrowband connection (I have no alternative) but it is low latency. I am not experiencing a technical issue at the moment. I fear I may if I update to 26.16Gb/day. I can barely stream video at the best of times so what do you think is likely to happen to NT performance when NT starts pulling 16GB/day down my nanoband pipe? I know for sure if I try to have a tv channel streaming in low res in a browser window, I get chart lag in high volatility for example, so the omens are not good.

So here I am, stuck on 26.0 which Ninja will refuse to Support, knowing that if I update I am likely to encounter problems due to functionality I neither want nor need, and at the end of the road with NT8.

As to quoting the feature being announced in the Release Notes somehow admonishes the unacceptable impact adds insult to injury. The Release Notes don’t say ‘and this will have the effect of dramatically increasing data download btw, and you can’t turn it off whether you like it or want it or not’.

Increasingly par for the course regrettably.

So, stay on .0 and remain unsupported but without issues, update and cross my fingers when I know enough to suspect problems will be induced by .1, or wait for NT to make it User configurable as - given the poor implementation - it should have been in the first place.

Unless of course the intent is to bombard Users with push notifications of events or whatever the YouTube channel live stream is to be used for, whether wanted or not.

#Ninjatrader_Jim, per #BGWTEX - make a way to turn it off, 26.2, for release now please.

KR​

Comment

Hello everyone,

Thanks for the feedback.

There is no current option to throttle this down but we have brought the concerns up with our Product Management group to see what can be done about this impact.

If there is anything public for me to share, I'll be sure to update the thread.

Comment

ninjatrader_jim - the request wasn't to 'throttle it down', it was to choose to disable it. You offer no resolution on either, and consequently the rock and hard place I am currently left in re: update or obsolete.and unsupported.

So I'll address my further question to both your good self and the wider User Community: incl. #MattD888:who identified it is a (Ninja presumably) YouTube channel IP Host IP address it is polling. Presumably a static address

- can this be blocked e.g. in one's Router, or by software e.g. antivirus, antimalware etc.?

The issue was identified and raised with NT here many months ago and it has taken a User to bring to light the true cause, very likely known by NT Support and Development at the time raised.

Kind regards,
                      Last edited by brucerobinson; 09-14-2022, 01:48 PM.

Comment

Hello everyone,

Adjustments were made in a new build to address a discovered issue with polling, and you can download that modified version of Release 26.1 at our regular download location:

The amount of communication between servers has far decreased.

(We are not incrementing a new release version for this minor change.)

The goal here is to leave the Watch button and better control the impact that it has made. If you would like the button removed altogether, we can track that interest in a change request, since such an action would be a larger change requiring further review and consideration.

If you would like me to track your interest for removal of the button past this change, please let me know.

Comment

Well, a nice idea .. but a few things not as they should be, frankly:
                          • All releases should have a unique version identifier, otherwise there will be endless confusion over "did you install the really latest version called 8.0.26.1 or the earlier version called, ahem, 8.0.26.1"? This is simple common sense in Release Management.
                          • And this "latest" version of 8.0.26.1 now shows the dreaded Watch button in the Control Center for a full multi-broker licensed user ... which it did not on the "not-the-latest" 8.0.26.1 and which was certainly the preferred (invisible!) form of that button
                          • And the SafeMode Start Menu item has disappeared
                          • So ... reverting to the "not-the-latest" 8.0.26.1 for now
                          Thanks.

EDIT: BEWARE: I installed the "new" 8.0.26.1 then simply re-installed the "original" 8.0.26.1. All good, you might think? ABSOLUTELY NOT! I have 100,000+ lines of AddOn code developed over more than 11 years with NinjaTrader (some pre NT8 obviously) and NINE of 40 source files were corrupted by that simple process! Yes, I had backups and that is how I know it was this simple install/re-install that caused it. The corruption varies in the files and ranges from characters deleted to characters inserted. I have never used this emoji before, but it fits: I hope I never have to use it again. As a NinjaTrader Vendor, I have made my "deep concern" known to NinjaTrader!
                          Last edited by jeronymite; 09-15-2022, 11:32 PM.
                          Multi-Dimensional Managed Trading
                          jeronymite
                          NinjaTrader Ecosystem Vendor - Mizpah Software

Comment

ninjatrader_jim - to accentuate the positive, pleased to see you're listening/taking action.

"The goal here is to leave the Watch button and better control the impact that it has made. If you would like the button removed altogether, we can track that interest in a change request, since such an action would be a larger change requiring further review and consideration."

This is to conflate two issues.

"#Ninjatrader_Jim, per #BGWTEX - make a way to turn it off, 26.2, for release now please.2"

From this User's perspective, if you choose to implement the functionality and I do not wish to use it, then I want the ability to control the impact it has (on Platform performance, Platform use of my PC resources, and Platform use of my internet data) to Zero, not for it to be as determined by Ninja what is 'acceptable' for something I do not wish to have available or use.

Whether you enable that by leaving the Watch button with an option to disable it (disable polling, disable the button in its entirety, ('greying out'), removing the button on re-start (in the manner of changing skins) or however and all the attendant problems that may bring per described by #jeronymite is a separate issue.

The goal should not be to leave the watch button and better control the impact that is has made insofar as your description of what that means to Ninja does not extend to giving the User to control that to Zero which should be an absolute. By all means Ninja's objective may be to leave the Watch button, Ninja's prerogative. But in doing so giving Ninja control over the impact that has made on platform and/or my PC and/or data use above Zero should not be for Ninja to determine nor a requirement of that goal.

This thread is a clear example of why that is so, if another one were needed.

Still stuck on 26.0 without Support, and with further rather than fewer reasons to remain so.

"If you would like me to track your interest for removal of the button past this change, please let me know."
                            It seems pretty clear by the opinions already voiced that at the very least several Users want the ability to choose not to have the button displayed.....

I'd encourage those on this thread and viewers here who wish to see the ability to disable the button's polling and/or remove or hide or disable it to publicly add their Vote on that thread.

Kind regards,
                            Last edited by brucerobinson; 09-18-2022, 05:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Jim View Post
                              Hello everyone,

Adjustments were made in a new build to address a discovered issue with polling, and you can download that modified version of Release 26.1 at our regular download location:.
                              This update made significant improvement of how much data being downloaded. Instead of 800MB per hour to now "only" 19MB per hour. Still it's pretty laughable amount of data downloaded for such simple task as changing button color based on stream live status. This function should not download more than few kB per hour.

If anyone find this useful, I managed to stop NT from being able to connect and download the data required for button function by adding simple rule to firewall. Any firewall(windows default or similar) should be able to block range of IP addresses for specific program. For me those two Google IP ranges worked: 142.251.36.1-142.251.36.255 and 142.251.37.1-142.251.37.255 . Since then no unnecessary connections by NT to Google/YouTube servers.
                              Last edited by matejzlv; 09-25-2022, 03:08 AM.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by jclose, Today, 09:37 PM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post jclose
                              by jclose

Started by WeyldFalcon, 08-07-2020, 06:13 AM
                              10 responses
                              0 likes