Bringing Chart time frames more into line with other software platforms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bringing Chart time frames more into line with other software platforms

I use Multiple Charting platforms and most confirm the same as each other except for NT8with regards to the 4 hour chart only.
    Its a calculation problem in NT8 Im having. EG I beleive NT8's 4hr chart starts a new bar at a different time to my other software which then throws out all the moving averages looking the same across all the software.

For example, a new NT8 4hr bar might start at 1pm where as my other software starts the new 4hr bar at 12pm. This results in the Moving averages looking completly differnt to each other. This of course is a problem that only occurs on the 4 hour charts as all other time frame work on days.

The problem arises due to the fact that a trading day only has 6hrs from 10am to 4pm here in Australia and yet there are 2 x 4hr bars to illustrate a day (which means 2hrs is outside of the trading day).

Other platforms are starting there 4hr bars for a day, at a different time to NT8's 4 hr bars. Can I change this setting somewhere to bring it all in line.
    Hope i have explained this properly for you to understand my meaning
    Kind Regards
    Stuart

Hello Stuart,

Thank you very much for your message.

A 4-hour chart would always start a new candle at the 4-hour mark. This means a trading session e.g. from 8 AM to 4 PM would receive a new candle at 8 AM and at noon.

Which trading hours apply to the chart/instrument may be set in the Data Series directly:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Data Series.png
Views:	137
Size:	25.7 KB
ID:	1215579

The instrument default may be found and changed through the Control Center by clicking on Tools > Instruments and editing the instrument in question. E.g. after double-clicking on the ES, the following appears:

Name:	THT.png
Views:	80
Size:	22.4 KB
ID:	1215580

If you change the trading hour template within the instrument settings, it would change the default template applied. For e.g. by changing it to the CME US Index Futures RTH, the charts would then only chart data that is received between the hours of 8:30 AM to 4:00 PM Eastern Time.

The exact schedule that each trading hour template follows may be found within the Tools > Trading Hours window. Selecting the CME US Index Futures RTH template, for example, would display the following schedule:

Name:	THT2.png
Views:	81
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	1215581

By editing this schedule (I suggest creating a copy first), you may then create a custom trading hour schedule that you would like to chart. If this is identical to other platforms, the candles should then also cover the same timeframes.

Please note: I suggest not changing the time zone itself, as all holiday hours would then be offset.

Should you have any further questions in this regard, please don't hesitate to let us know!
    Manfred F.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
    Started by aussugardefender, Today, 01:07 AM
    0 responses
    1 view
    0 likes
    Last Post aussugardefender  
    Started by pvincent, 06-23-2022, 12:53 PM
    14 responses