standard futures contract codes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

standard futures contract codes

Is there a way to configure my Ninjatrader 8 to display and use standard futures contract codes instead of the month-year that Ninjatrader uses?
    eg "ESZ22 (or ESZ2022) instead of "EZ 12-22"
    I would just like to be able to use the standard exchange codes as I am already used to them and I dont want Ninjatrader to make this choice for me.

Hello xiinteractive,

Thank you for your note.

Unfortunately there is not a way to change this within the platform without custom coding. Within NinjaTrader you will need to use the 'XX MM-YY' format if you are manually typing out Futures instruments.

Spencer F.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

I would like to enter this as a feature request: Allow the trader to choose futures contract symbol formats
      • This would be a configuration item that would allow the trader to select the format of futures contract codes from a list of formats. The list would contain the current NT8 format (eg /MES 12-22) and at least one other, which would be the exchange format ( eg /MESZ22). Others could be added such as the exchange code with 4-digit year (eg /MESZ2022).
      • This configuration choice is global across the platform and would be available in ControlCenter=>Tools=>Options and then probably General. It would probably be stored workspaces/Config.xml.
      • The trader would not be allowed to mix formats between instruments.
      • the instrument symbol format choice would be a property to the internal native object which would allow the trader to change this configuration item and it would apply to all symbols as they might be used in different workspaces. Just like a date format, it does not does change the internal data object and can be changed at any time ... its just a format choice only.
      something like that would help​

Comment

Hello xiinteractive,

Thank you for the suggestion.

I have submitted this as a feature request to the Development Team. I will follow up with an internal tracking number for your reference as soon as it is created.

Thanks in advance for your patience.

Comment

status of this request?

Comment

Hello xiinteractive,

Thanks for your patience.

The internal tracking number for your feature request is SFT-5636. Please reference this internal tracking number when contacting Platform Support if you ever have questions regarding this feature request.

When a feature request is implemented, you'll find a description of the new feature in the release notes:

Comment

Please add my vote to this.

Many Thanks, Caesar.

Comment

Hello Skechers,

Thank you for your note.

Your vote has been added

Comment

Please add my support for this feature

Comment

Hello MortL

Thank you for your post

Vote added

Comment

This request was implemented in NT 8.1.1.7 https://ninjatrader.com/support/helpGuides/nt8/
                      To NT Support: Can you please post in threads to notify us that a requested issue in that thread has been implemented??

Comment

Hello xiinteractive,

Thank you for your post.

Unfortunately, this would not be possible, and we recommend checking the release note with the Tracking Number provided when a new version is released.

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Spencer View Post
                          Hello xiinteractive,

Thank you for your post.

Unfortunately, this would not be possible, and we recommend checking the release note with the Tracking Number provided when a new version is released.
                          Spencer - saying it is "not possible"?

I personally created this thread on 10-13-2022 so I am also am subscribed to this thread... The day I created you replied saying it could not be done in the current release... So then I requested a feature and even told HOW it would be done from a coding perspective (I was career software engineer before trading full time). You responded that SFT-5636 had been created ... THANK YOU!

Then I see that NT has implemented the feature in 8.1.7 on March 4 2023. ... . THANK YOU!​!!!!!
                          But, I was very surprised that NT Support did not update this thread accordingly so after 9 months of not a word in this thread about it, I went back into the thread and posted that it was implemented (https://forum.ninjatrader.com/forum/...92#post1281192) .. so if I did it then why is it that you say someone at Ninjatrader support cant do it? It is very very clearly possible because I did it already. The point is that the customers should not have to do it, NT Support should be doing it. We should have been notified in this post at the same time the feature was released! ... even better, you could have let us know that the feature was in a release candidate targeted to be released around a date range.

Your choice of the words "this would not be possible" are possibly not the best words to use as once something has been done then it is proven to be possible. Maybe it is possible for someone at NT to consider that a higher level of customer support is possible and that the possibilities should be looked into and executed where ever possible. Maybe its possible to "move-the-needle" a bit... or possibly even a lot.

As traders, we endeavor to master something that most people say "cant be done" and is "not possible"... If we thought like most people (naysayers) we would not be trading and would not be NT's customers and therefore would not be posting in this forum. If we believed all the people that tell us it cant be done we wouldnt be here. We are possibility and probability thinkers... and when someone tells us something cant be done we start thinking "Well then, maybe its worth doing." I am hoping that you/NT Support will take this post as a kind suggestion and that maybe you and others at NT will read between the lines here and possibly be inspired to understand your customer a little better and improve your game a little. As traders, this is something we do with much regularity and routine.... we look for ways to improve our game, and thinking-outside-the-box helps us do that.
                          Last edited by xiinteractive; 01-30-2024, 03:16 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Hello xiinteractive,

Thank you for your post and feedback.

At this time it is not possible to update every thread of every change or addition to the platform.

This is why we recommend checking the Release Notes as explained previously when a new version of NinjaTrader is released.

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Spencer View Post
                              Hello xiinteractive,

Thank you for your post and feedback.

At this time it is not possible to update every thread of every change or addition to the platform.

This is why we recommend checking the Release Notes as explained previously when a new version of NinjaTrader is released.
                              You are correct.... " it is not possible to update every thread of every change or addition to the platform.".

maybe consider picking some of them that have the biggest impact or the most people posting and subscribing.... maybe just try to make some improvements in this area.
                              There isn't a trader alive that can take "Every" trade .... but that is not an excuse for us taking none of them. A successful trader learns to make a real effort to take good trades with high probability and is constantly trying to improve their game.

I spent 30+ years in Information Technology in progressing roles from desktop support to server support to software engineering to management and I am very very very well aware that every situation in technology has limitations. I am also very well aware that successful technologists dont make a habit of always telling their customers that things cant be done.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by tkaboris, Today, 05:13 PM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post tkaboris  
                              Started by GussJ, 03-04-2020, 03:11 PM
                              16 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post Leafcutter