retrieving trade data history from SDF and backup files

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

retrieving trade data history from SDF and backup files

I was working with NT support on and issue and in the process they renamed the file that contains trade history (db/NinjaTrader.sdf) into a new name and then let NT8 create a new one.
    Now I have a new data file that starts where that one left off. I want to be able to get to the trade history in these files.

Also, in reading a support article a few months ago, it suggested that I do a " Reset DB" ...That support article should have had more warnings about the impact of doing a Reset DB.
    fortunately I made a back up before doing this because that wiped out trade history also... but it is in a backup file and is not joined with the data in db/NinjaTrader.sdf. I want to recover my trade history in this file.

How do I get my historical trade data from these files so I can get all my trade history and stats back? I would need them combined so I could run stats on all of it.

Also .. please tell me what application can be used to open these NinjaTrader.sdf database files and the instructions needed to do so (Im a career techie ).

Hello xiinteractive,

Thank you for the message.

Unfortunately, there is no way to combine the information from different database files. You can only build on top of the data that is there by placing new trades.
    • Since a new database file was created, they are forever separate.

You could change the name of the current database to something different like "Database new" and change the name of the "NinjaTrader Old.sdf" back to "Ninjatrader.sdf"
    • Then you would be able to see the history of that Database and then build on top of that with new trades. But again, there is no way to combine this with another database.

If you are a NinjaTrader Brokerage User, you may sign into the online portal and review All of your trade history here. If you are with another brokerage, you may reach out to them for the trade history on the account.

Please let us know if we may provide any further assistance.
    Clayton G.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

well, there are a lot of things in that database, and obviously it can get in the weeds or NT Support would not have us create new ones... So, I would think that there should be a way to Export trade history (this is currently possible within Backups) and then import that trade data into a new instance to provide the history. Otherwise, anytime there is a hickup in the NinjaTrader.sdf database, then all of our trade history is going to get destroyed. There should be a way to save that historical trade data and bring it forward to a new db.

I think a lot of people would agree with me on this.

Comment

Hello xiinteractive,

You can always bring back in an Old database file, but there is no way to merge two of them together. Once you create that new Database file and start placing trades on it, there is no way to combine it with another database file.
        • You would have to share that one database file back and forth and keep adding onto it. If you ever make a new/separate one, the trade histories are forever separate.
        If you need a full history of the trades that happened on your live account, you could correlate the information from all of your Brokerage Account Statements into a single location.

We already have a feature request created to add the ability to merge separate database files together that is being tracked under SFT-683. I am adding your vote to this feature request.

Please know that deciding on features for future releases is not a simple black and white decision. There are many factors involved including but not limited to:

- Demand which is measured by objective user requests and subjective discretion on the part of our Product Management team.
        - Feasibility
        - Developer bandwidth
        - Current projects in the queue
        - Economics

You'll find a note regarding your feature request in the release notes when a feature is implemented.Please let us know if we may provide any further assistance.​

Comment

link to SFT-683?

Comment

Hello xiinteractive,

There is no direct link to this Feature Request as it has not been implemented yet and the "In progress" feature request system is not publicly visible.

As this feature request is older and has little support at this time, it will most likely be a while until we see this feature implemented. That being said, we have no timeline on any of the feature requests. Until an update is officially released to the public, it is not known for sure whether or not a feature will be in an a specific update or not.

The most we can do in regard to this feature request at this time is wait for the next update to NinjaTrader and see if this feature has been implemented.
            You could import each Backup file and/or Rename and move in each Old database file you have back into the NinjaTrader Platform:
            • Open a Trade Performance Report for the entire time span that the database has trades in it.
            • Go between the Trades, Executions, and/or Orders Displays, and then right-click and Export the information as an Excel document
              • Then, do this for each database file and then find a way to remove the duplicate information and then merge everything together so you have one master excel document with all of your trade information.
            Otherwise, you would need to reach out to your broker directly for more help correlating the information from all of your trades across your account so that you can save that in one place and then use that for your analysis.
            • If you were using other features like Notes and those were lost, I would suggest duplicating all of your work into a Note taking application or a word document that you can save and back up separately so that you never lose your work again.
            Please let us know if we may be of any further assistance.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by AveryFlynn, Today, 04:57 AM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post AveryFlynn  
            Started by RubenCazorla, 08-30-2022, 06:36 AM
            3 responses
            0 likes