Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Monthly Chart very slow in loading

Hi all.
    I have a workspace with two charts (linked): one displaying daily candlesticks, the other displaying monthly candlesticks.

The daily chart seems to load in a reasonable time.

1- The monthly chart takes forever to load.
    2- I have the impression that the monthly chart does not "remember", from day to day, the values that were "loaded" on a previous day. In other words, it's reloading completely everytime I open it or everytime I change the instrument.

What could I have done wrong?

Thanks.

Hello M_ichel,

Thank you for posting.

Can you right click in your Monthly chart->Data Series and tell me how many days you have set for "Days to load".

Thanks in advance.
    Christopher J.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hi ChristopherJ

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_ChristopherJ View Post
      how many days you have set for "Days to load".
      BTW I'm connected to IBKR in paper trading mode.

I know, I know. I already looked at this value and was really surprised, but then, since it's a monthly chart, etc, etc, I figured it would give me about 15 years of bars to look at, which is not bad for a monthly chart, and also the fact that I was not the one who set it that way, thinking it's probably a default value, and also thinking "Well, it's going to take a long time to load the first time, but once it's loaded, it's loaded", so I left it unchanged.

The value is 5,475 days!!! (I'm blushing here...) (BTW the Daily chart's value is set at 365; which sounds reasonable to me). But I never touched those values.

So what should I set it at?

Please note that in the case of CL, it only actually gives me bars going back to October 2020 (which is only about 26 monthly bars). Nowhere close to 5,475 days.

Also, once these bars have been loaded once, how come the chart does not display them instantly the next time I open it? I think there is something fundamental (about data loading) that I do not understand. For instance: In the Instrument Picker, I pick CL 01-23; it takes about 5 minutes to load those 26 bars. Then I pick ES and that takes about 2 minutes to load. If I then pick CL again, it takes 5 minutes again...

I'm sure you'll have an answer to all this! Thanks!

Comment

The value of 5,475 is the default setting for Monthly charts. This may be due to data request to the IB historical data servers. As a test can you disconnect then toggle between instruments and let me know if you see the same behavior. If you do not can you connect to the Kinetick End Of Day (Free) connection first and IB second and let me know if the issue persists.
        Christopher J.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hi Christopher.

If I disconnect (all sources, including IBKR), then when I flip from instrument to instrument (CL, YM, ^DJIA, AAPL, ES, etc.) the monthly and the daily charts (both charts in the same workspace) display data. Which does not update, of course, since I'm not connected to anything.

If I connect to Kinetick End-of-Day first and then IB, I'm getting good data.

What does this mean? Should I always connect to Kinetick AND IB?

Thanks!

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by r68cervera, Today, 05:29 AM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post r68cervera  
          Started by geddyisodin, Today, 05:20 AM
          0 responses
          0 likes