NT7 to NT8 weirdness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NT7 to NT8 weirdness

I just installed the new NT8 version. A few weird things happened.
    After installation it asked me if I wanted to migrate things from 7. I said OK.
    It was at it for a long time, and showed a lot of instruments being migrated that I don't even use. I remember GE specifically, because it was stuck on it for a long time. I don't even know what GE is. Anyway, after it finished, I went to Historical data, but those unfimiliar instruments were not there. Later I checked NT7 Historical data, but those were not there either. So where did they come from, where did they go? Not that I need them, or miss them at all, but I am wondering if I need to clean some folders/database/whatever up?
    2. Looking at the log, it said Account migration failed, object reference not set to instance (or something to that effect, but I cannot copy that any more, see #3). When I go to the Accounts tab, there is an account with the correct number, with the format <bookie>!<act #>, and then a whole lot of 0s. That is fine, I guess, NT7 does the same thing. However, there is no associated connection in Connections. I could set it up manually, but is that okay? Or would it create some conflict with the other half baked instance?
    3. After restarting NT8 the log was gone, no more mention of the previous mishaps, just a clean start. Why?

So what is to be done?

Hello Titus,

Thank you for your post.
    1. Sounds like the old instrument were in your database or cache. Try removing the cahce for NinjaTrader 7 by going to Documents\NinjaTrader 7\db\ > then delete the cache file.
    2. I would need to review the log and trace files to understand what happened here. Can you send us your log and trace files by going to Help > Email Support in NinjaTrader 8? Make sure to list 'ATTN: Patrick H' in the subject line and reference this thread in the body of the email.
    3. After the initial start NinjaTrader 8 will not migrate again. Each start up also now has it's own log and trace.

Comment

Hi Patrick,

Thanks for your reply.
      I deleted the cache, that is fine now.

There were more weird things going on after my first message, at one point even windows was complaining about something in NT. Unfortunately I could not read what it was, I was typing and hit the space and the message disappeared. Looked something like Ninjatrader_RASxxx or something similar, but can't be sure.
      I uninstalled NT8, deleted the NinjaTrader 8 folder, and the app folder, then reinstalled. Did not migrate the old data from NT7 this time, I thought I'd set up everything from scratch and get familiar with NT8. Everything is working fine so far. I guess no use sending you the logs now, but if you still want them let me know.

One unrelated question: is there a way to put the NinjaTrader 8 (and 7) folder somewhere else, not in My Documents? I would like to put somewhere like C:\NT8\ or if it needs to be user specific then maybe to <user>\AppData\Local\NT8 (like a browser profile).
      If it is not possible currently, I would like to submit a feature request (or vote for an existing one).

Comment

Hello Titus,

Thank you for your response.

I will forward the request to development. There is no other folder but My Documents that the NinjaTrader 7 or 8 folders can be assigned.

Comment

Hello Titus,

Thank you for your patience.

This suggestion was given the ID SFT 1740.

You can find a means to do this using the post at the following link. This is not supported.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by ScottWalsh, Today, 04:52 PM
          0 responses
          1 view
          0 likes
          Last Post ScottWalsh  
          Started by ScottWalsh, Today, 04:29 PM
          0 responses
          0 likes