Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Is VB2015 neccessary to work in NT8's ninjascript?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is VB2015 neccessary to work in NT8's ninjascript?

Hi NT,

Please consider that this is a doubt from a non-advanced programmer. I've read that VB2015 is neccessary to debug "objects" but I'm not quite sure if this aspect affects all kind simpler ways to program in ninjascript.

- Can you please elaborate a little bit when is really necessary VB2015

- Is NT8's ninjascript itself able to program simple strategies or I need VB2015?

Thanks

p.d: still working in NT7 but trying to update my platform with the least possible issue.

I think you only need VS for debugging. If your code is simple, no need for the full blown might of VS.
    There might be a lighter weight solution, VS Code (https://code.visualstudio.com/). This also offers debug, but I don't know if that is good enough. What do you say, NT Wise Men?

Comment

Originally posted by pstrusi View Post

- Can you please elaborate a little bit when is really necessary VB2015

- Is NT8's ninjascript itself able to program simple strategies or I need VB2015?

Thanks

p.d: still working in NT7 but trying to update my platform with the least possible issue.
      My 2 cents:

You shouldn't find any difference to NT8 ninjascript with NT7 ninjascript with regards to debugging or programming. It's the same set of steps. (You may find bugs yet in the NT8 strategy builder, etc). But the basic idea is the same.

I have never used the VS debugger in any of my NT7/8 coding. Usage of the output window combined with Print statements offers enough flexibility to debug your code.

Maybe some more advanced VS developers can confirm they use it for additional items - such as building custom DOMs, etc.

This post isn't meant to discourage you from using it, I'm sure some VS people would prefer to step through their code line by line rather than putting in Print statements to see why a condition might not be happening.

Comment

Hello pstrusi,

The NinjaScript Editor is the preferred editor for creating and modifying NinjaScripts and using the output and prints for debugging.

By popular request, a button to load the NinjaTrader project in Visual Studio was added to the toolbar of NinjaTrader 8's NinjaScript Editor as well as an auto-compile deamon that compiles all scripts after saving a file located within the bin\Custom\ folder (from any editor) as long as the NinjaScript Editor is open. As a heads up, you will not be able to compile from Visual Studio. Simply save the script with the NinjaScript Editor open and NinjaTrader will detect the changed file and recompile automatically.

Support for using Visual Studio is limited by NinjaTrader Support.
        Below I am providing a link the documentation for using Visual Studio to debug in the NinjaTrader 8 help guide.

Last edited by NinjaTrader_ChelseaB; 12-04-2016, 12:55 PM.
        Chelsea B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by r68cervera, Today, 05:29 AM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post r68cervera  
        Started by geddyisodin, Today, 05:20 AM
        0 responses
        0 likes