Announcement popup memory leak leaves NT unresponsive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Announcement popup memory leak leaves NT unresponsive

When I leave NT8 running unattended and on days where there's an announcement (like today's popup - see attached.. or a new release popup, etc.), it consistently triggers a memory leak.

The reason I know there's a memory leak is that I send myself a text message with Ninjatrader.exe memory usage when anything unusual is detected. Every time I get these texts, there's always a popup on the screen when I'm able to check on things.
    And usually, by the time I am finally able to check on things it's too late and NT is unresponsive with the last popup displayed. At that point, I have to kill the process in task manager.

It can be running fine for days with no memory issues until a popup is triggered.

I'm happy to provide logs, but there are no errors or messages in them or anything unusual.

Is there any way to disable these popups? Or is there some other setting I'm not aware of that could be causing this behavior?
    Attached Files

Hello,

Thanks for posting.

Once this announcement appears, you can select "Don't show this message again" before clicking "OK" to prevent the message from reappearing.

I haven't seen this behavior on my end, and this wouldn't be a known item at this time, so I'm curious to see if there would be a different source.

Do you use any custom add-on items in your workspace? Has this ever occurred without an Announcement pop-up window?
    Drew O.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Problem is I'm not usually in front of my screen when these popups happen. I just noticed this thread with the same issue, so apparently I'm not alone. And this occurs consistently every time there's an announcement.

Comment

Hello jackyd,

Thanks for getting back to me.

While the two cases may be related, the memory leak would not be something mentioned in the other post. To see if they are related or if this is caused by something else, I would ask that you contact me by email at PlatformSupport [AT] NinjaTrader [DOT] com. In your message please include a link to this forum thread and a copy of today's trace files. You will find these diagnostic file in the Documents > NinjaTrader 8 > Trace folder. I will need to review a copy of the files which are named 'trace.20161205.XXXXX.txt'. There will likely be multiple files for each day.

Comment

Sure, I'll send the trace file.

Memory leak may not be mentioned, or even be the correct term. But clearly when the popups occur, memory is consumed until it runs out and NT becomes unresponsive. And unresponsive is mentioned in the other thread.

Comment

Another thread with what sounds like the same issue...

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_DrewO View Post
              Hello,

Thanks for posting.

Once this announcement appears, you can select "Don't show this message again" before clicking "OK" to prevent the message from reappearing.

I haven't seen this behavior on my end, and this wouldn't be a known item at this time, so I'm curious to see if there would be a different source.

Do you use any custom add-on items in your workspace? Has this ever occurred without an Announcement pop-up window?
              I ran 1 week of playback and it ran and completed. I left my machine on all night and got the popup every hour until it stopped. Log file shows 3.

NT8 still has the popup and it won't go away. I will have to end task.

It should not lock up the system in any case. Many of us are not here at terminals when running back tests, replays or even live session during the day.

I hibernated my laptop at 8:00 or so (not contained in log) and restarted machine a little before 7:30pm, hence the failure to the license server.

I guess it locked up between 2:10am and 3:10am when it wasn't able to put another popup up.

Code:
              2016-12-06 00:10:43:891 Server.HdsClient.Connect: type=IS server='is-us-002.ninjatrader.com' port=31658 system='NT'
              2016-12-06 01:10:43:888 Server.HdsClient.Connect: type=IS server='is-us-002.ninjatrader.com' port=31658 system='NT'
              2016-12-06 02:10:43:892 Server.HdsClient.Connect: type=IS server='is-us-002.ninjatrader.com' port=31658 system='NT'
              2016-12-06 19:28:04:121 ERROR: Unable to load server side config file: The remote name could not be resolved: 'license2.ninjatrader.com'

Comment

I have the same problem every time NinjaTrader has the Popups. This happens on both My PC's one running windows 7 and the other one runs windows 10.

Comment

Hello,

Thank you both for replying.

We are currently investigating this item on our end. I will follow up on this Forum thread with further information as it becomes available.

Comment

Did a test in the new release. I closed the popup this morning.

Anytime I click a chart window to interact, the Control Center beeps at me and flashes.
                    The control Center is the only window accepting input.

I managed to disconnect from Playback, but that hasn't helped anything else.

The playback controller is still visible, and control center is also not functional now.

Code:
                    ******************* Session Start (Version 8.0.2.0) *******************
                    2016-12-06 22:42:14:864 Server.HdsClient.Connect: type=IS server='is-us-002.ninjatrader.com' port=31658 system='NT'
                    2016-12-06 23:42:14:863 Server.HdsClient.Connect: type=IS server='is-us-002.ninjatrader.com' port=31658 system='NT'
                    2016-12-07 00:42:12:151 Server.HdsClient.Connect: type=IS server='is-us-002.ninjatrader.com' port=31658 system='NT'
                    2016-12-07 07:43:44:273 (Playback Connection) Gui.ControlCenter.OnDisconnect

Comment

Sledge, FKMIKE - we are tracking the behavior of In Product Announcements (IPAs) and what it is causing for different users.Could you both send me your log and trace files along with a brief summary of when this most recently occurred (I realize there is a lot of detail here as well).

You can do this by going to the Control Center-> Help-> Email Support

Ensuring 'Log and Trace Files' is checked will include these files. This is checked by default.

Please reference the following ticket number in the body of the email: 1616299 ATTN Patrick G and include a link to this forum thread.

Comment

Hello - I am having this exact problem.
                        Whenever an announcement occurs, it causes my NT to hang.
                        Memory goes from about 250 MB to 1 GB.

I must kill the NT process and re-open. I don't want to do this as I need to keep the NT instance running.

NT Version 8.0.0.12
                        Win 7 SP 1

Thanks,
                        Mark

Comment

mmeninger, I've received your files and will be following up via email.

Comment

I will be sending my files in a bit. Today's latest popup crashed all three PC's running NinjaTrader8. I have been having ram issues for months and have been told it was due to a strategy so I installed NT8 on a third PC and the popup causes it to crash like the other PC's do.

Comment

I just experienced this. Came back after a few ours away, msg box up, Ninja still around, but only the main control panel window can be focused with mouse, all other windows are hung. Ninja has to be killed. Nothing in logs.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by frankthearm, Today, 09:08 AM
                              5 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post NinjaTrader_Clayton  
                              Started by jeronymite, 04-12-2024, 04:26 PM
                              3 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post jeronymite