8.0.2.0 - Huge Backtesting / Strategy Analyzer Bug

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

8.0.2.0 - Huge Backtesting / Strategy Analyzer Bug

So, in 8.0.2, within Strategy Analyzer - whenever you run a backtest on a single instrument strategy (I've tried with minute and daily bars), it seems like everything is actually executed twice.

Try running the strategy I attached on minute bars and see if you get the following output. In 8.0.1, you'd only see one instance of the output, rather than two.

11/28/2016 10:00:00 AM
    11/29/2016 10:00:00 AM
    FINISHED RUNNING
    11/28/2016 10:00:00 AM
    11/29/2016 10:00:00 AM
    FINISHED RUNNING
    When I ran a variant of the attached strategy on daily bars, this is what I got. Again, two instances:

12/5/2016 4:00:00 PM
    12/6/2016 4:00:00 PM
    FINISHED RUNNING
    12/5/2016 4:00:00 PM
    12/6/2016 4:00:00 PM
    FINISHED RUNNING
    My impression is many users will not find a problem here since the Strategy Analyzer window still displays the correct results for the backtest. However, having everything executed twice is a major problem for me (and potentially other users) because I use custom methods to output data to help me analyze performance (e.g. intra-trade drawdowns which NT doesn't do natively). Furthermore, when backtesting more complex strategies over longer timeframes, the outputs/execution become interleaved meaning that you can't isolate one instance of the output results easily.

In addition, when I ran a backtest on a multi-instrument strategy, I now see new output being shown as if the secondary bar series is being called (despite having a BarsInProgress filter). In the example below, the secondary bar series, VIX should not be seen at all, at wasn't in 8.0.1.0.

[SampleStrat3333-VIX] Session Open: December 1, 2016 @ 09:30:00 --------------------
    [SampleStrat3333-SPY] Session Open: December 1, 2016 @ 09:30:00 --------------------
    [SampleStrat3333-SPY] Session Open: December 2, 2016 @ 09:30:00 --------------------
    [SampleStrat3333-SPY] Session Open: December 5, 2016 @ 09:30:00 --------------------
    [SampleStrat3333-VIX] Session Open: December 2, 2016 @ 09:30:00 --------------------
    [SampleStrat3333-VIX] Session Open: December 5, 2016 @ 09:30:00 --------------------
    [SampleStrat3333-VIX] Session Open: December 6, 2016 @ 09:30:00 --------------------
    [SampleStrat3333-SPY] Session Open: December 6, 2016 @ 09:30:00 --------------------
    Needless to say, I'm pretty disappointed by the fact that NT8 is out of beta with all these new and existing bugs being reintroduced, and problems like freezes/crashing due to announcements making it technically unusable for reliable live trading.
    Attached Files

Hello wuileng, and thank you for your report. I noticed that many of your settings were not done through code in the State == State.SetDefaults section. Would it be possible for you to send us a picture of the strategy configurations settings you used through the GUI? I am attaching an example.

To send a screenshot with Windows 7 or newer I would recommend using Window's Snipping Tool.
    Click here for instructions
    Alternatively to send a screenshot press Alt + PRINT SCREEN to take a screenshot of the selected window. Then go to Start--> Accessories--> Paint, and press CTRL + V to paste the image. Lastly, save as a jpeg file and send the file as an attachment.
    Click here for detailed instruction
    Attached Files
    Jessica P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Sure - please see the attachments.

One is the GUI screenshot you requested, and the second is the coded settings I used for one of my strategies I also tested (i.e. SampleStrat3333 in my previous post).
      Attached Files

Comment

Thank you for your report.

This behavior was confirmed on our end. We will be investigating this further. Please keep an eye on the NinjaTrader 8 Release Notes page for updates and bugfixes.

Tracking ID: NTEIGHT-10886

Comment

Hell Jessica,

With 8.0.3.0 a report is generated again when choosing "Display Trades", which causes printing to Output multiple times.

1. Compile the strategy attached.
          2. Run a backtest wtih the strategy.
          3. Choose "Display Trades"
          4. Go back to "Display Summary"
          5. Choose "Display Trades" again.
          6. Repeat # 4 and #5.
          Attached Files

Comment

Also, I found out that print statement executed multiple times when running a multiple instrument strategy backtest.

1. Compile the strategy attached.
            2. Choose "Display Trades".
            3. Run a backtest wtih the strategy.
            Attached Files

Comment

Hello tradertakeo, and thank you for your report.

This behavior was confirmed on our end. We will be investigating this further. Please keep an eye on the NinjaTrader 8 Release Notes page for updates and bugfixes.

Tracking ID: NTEIGHT-11021

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by jeronymite, 04-12-2024, 04:26 PM
              2 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post NinjaTrader_BrandonH  
              Started by Mindset, 05-06-2023, 09:03 PM
              10 responses