X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Splitting a multi-contract target order

Hi,

Apologies as this has surely been asked before, but in NT8:

-Suppose for whatever reason, deliberately or by accident, I find myself in a trade with 4 contracts where I have a single 4-contract target and offsetting 4-contract protective stop order on the chart. In this scenario, I entered the trade originally either from the Chart Trader or from the DOM -- in either case, I used an ATM strategy which is what gave me the stop/target OCO after initial trade entry.

-Now suppose I determine I want to take my 4-contract target order and split it into 2 separate target orders of 2 contracts each (or 3 target orders of 1/1/2 contracts, etc). I still want to maintain the presence of my offseting/OCO 4-contract stop order.

What are my options for achieving this outcome?

Thank you in advance!
    biegea

From the SuperDOM, right-click on the price ladder and select "Add Target". This will split your profit target of 4 into two separate orders of 2 quantity. This will leave your original 4 quantity stop loss order untouched.

Please see the "Adding or Removing Targets" section of the link below for more detail:

Comment

I followed this link and neither instruction (including yours) is working for me.

The +/- Target buttons are grayed out, and I RMC-'d all over the place and never saw an option to add a target.

Please advise. Thanks.

Comment

Were you in a trade with an active ATM strategy when you attempted to add a target? To clarify, you should see four options within the right-click menu which you do not see when you are flat our in a position without an active ATM strategy:

Comment

CORRECTION: I did not realize that I had to have the Active ATM selected in the ATM Strategy dropdown. Once I did that, the RMC options occurred. Thank you!
          That said, the +/- Target 'quick buttons' still don't work.
          -------------------
          yes I was. I don't have the option. see attached. http://prntscr.com/dogtrc
          Last edited by biegea; 12-27-2016, 08:48 AM.

Comment

If you place a test trade and ATM strategy with a quantity of at least four, does it work as expected?

In my tests, I am unable to add a target unless the quantity is at least four, and I believe this is unintended. I will be submitting this to the Development Team.

Comment

It appears to be working for me consistently with how the documentation link you provided me earlier describes, even on as few as two or three contracts - they key to its working on few contracts is that, for example on 2 contracts, I must have a single target of two contracts so that 'add' splits it. If my two contracts are already split into 1 and 1 for targets, then there is no new target that can be added. Thanks again for the support.

Comment

Hello,
                In NT7, when I split the target, the protective stop was also split, so that I could manually trail closer with some of my contracts if I wanted to. NT8 does not do this automatically. Is there a way to set it up to do this?

Thanks.

Comment

I cannot reproduce a behavior by which using the 'add target' button splits the stop also. Here is a short video example:

Can you tell me what you may be doing differently on your end? Please provide exact steps on how I would reproduce a split of the stop loss order in reference to what is being discussed in this thread.

Comment

Hello PatrickG,
                    Thanks for your response. I have tested the latest version of NT7, and it no longer splits the stop loss order when using the "add target" button, but I'm pretty sure it did this in earlier versions. I am now using NT8, and would like to submit this as a feature request for NT8, as I sometimes find it more beneficial to trail with protective stops at different prices.
                    Thank you.

Comment

Thank you for the suggestion.

I have submitted this as a feature request to the Development Team. The internal tracking number for your feature request is SFT-4067. Please reference this internal tracking number if you ever have questions regarding this feature request.

When a feature request is implemented, you'll find it in the release notes:

Last edited by NinjaTrader_PatrickG; 06-19-2019, 12:26 PM.

Comment

Just wanted to add my experience with adding/modifying an ATM profit target here. I'm using NT8 8.1.1.7 and also running the Replikanto 3rd party trade replicator with one "Follower" chart. Everything worked flawlessly with the amended orders being placed on the main Replikanto "Leader" chart. My only note would be that the original stop loss and profit target orders are NOT updated at the time the amended target order is placed. It is only AFTER that target order is FILLED that the original stop/target order quantities are adjusted. Other than that, it worked perfectly for me. And for anyone using Replikanto....make SURE you do NOT amend orders on the FOLLOWER charts as that may cause very unexpected and undesireable results.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                        Started by sidlercom80, 10-28-2023, 08:49 AM
                        170 responses
                        0 likes
                        Last Post sidlercom80  
                        Started by Irukandji, Yesterday, 02:53 AM
                        2 responses
                        0 likes
                        Last Post Irukandji