Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Industry & Sector info in Market Analyzer

Hi,
    I am new to Ninja Trader, so far I am very impressed by Ver.8 and I am considering to switch from my Tradestation setup.
    I found Market Analyzer very powerful but I cannot find how to add the Sector and the Industry columns for stocks.
    Are those columns available?
    Thank you
    Rop

Many columns are available by default, and many more can be created with custom programming.

I'm not exactly sure what you're referring to. Could you provide screenshots or links to an example of what you'd like to see in the NinjaTrader Market Analyzer?

Comment

What I am referring to are the Sector and the Industry a stock belongs to.
      Example:

Ticker:_______Name:__________Sector:___________Ind ustry:
      APPL___________Apple Inc.______Technology______Computer Manufacturing
      F______________Ford Motors_____Capital Goods_____Auto Manufacturing

It is the basic information about a company. Apple is in the Technology sector and they make computers. Ford is in the Consumer Sector and they make cars.
      So I can, for example, isolate or sort in market analyzer the companies belonging to a specific sector or industry.

Comment

Thank you for the clarification.

For NinjaTrader to provide this information in a column, it would need to be available somewhere within each symbol's settings, or it would need to be provided by the data provider.

Currently, the closest thing to this which is built into the platform would be the 'Description' column, which is an included field in every symbol's settings. This would be analogous to the 'Name' column which you provided in your example. If you add the 'Description' column, you can see what I mean - AAPL would show 'Apple Computer, Inc.".

With that said, unfortunately there is currently no additional fields to pull from in the instruments settings, nor am I aware of a data feed which supplies this information per symbol which contains the additional 'sector' and 'industry' data you're seeking to include.

Technically you could edit the 'description' field of all instruments so that the information you want is displayed in the 'description' column, but this would be laborious.

Comment

Thank you Patrick for your prompt answer and for trying to find a solution.
          I am really sorry to see that so far Ninjatrader doesn't have an easy way to pull that type of information from the data provider.
          I must say it is not an exotic type of Info. It is really basic and it is virtually available everywhere.
          If I connect to IB - they have it in their platform and maybe it should be possible to pick it up by the API same thing for TD Ameritrade and esignal and Tradestation and any other platform I ever used actually.

I must say I am bit taken aback by this. Ninjatrader is surely the most powerful platform I have used, but also the only one that cannot tell me in what sector and industry a stock belongs to. I find it bizarre.

I really hope in the next version of Ninjatrader this problem get resolved because I think this is very important for a stock trader, not just me, any stock trader.

Comment

I have sent a feature request to the Development Team for this suggestion.

Comment

Thank you Patrick.
              An idea.
              Since this information is a static one, it doesn't change day after day or even year after year, there should be a way to pull it at least once, and add it to the local database of symbols.
              This could be independent by the data feed. I think this is the way Amibroker solved it. You can update the list of symbols from their own maintained database.
              Another way could be for the user to update the local database automatically maybe pulling the data from an Excel page. I would find that solution acceptable.

Thank you again.
              Rop

Comment

Thanks for the further details.

This is being tracked internally as SFT-1841.

Comment

Hi all,

Not sure it its just me, but 2 years on i haven't found the solution to this. Was this added to the software updates somewhere?

Thanks

Comment

This is still being tracked as a feature request, but there is no further information at this time. There is typically no updates regarding feature requests until they're added in a new release. You can monitor the changes/fixes/additions to the platform here.

Comment

Such a strong feature, cheers for the info though NT_PatG

Comment

Please add my vote adding this to the feature list. Currently there is no way to sort a master lists of stocks based on market sectors. The only other option would be to create a new column for each S+P sector, or, as was stated, to allow a user-defined custom field for text, which could then be sorted. Doesn't seem like it would be that difficult to do. Thanks.

Comment

I've added your vote, Bionian

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                          Started by DJ888, 04-16-2024, 06:09 PM
                          4 responses
                          0 likes
                          Last Post DJ888
                          by DJ888

Started by terofs, Today, 04:18 PM