Multiple installations of NT8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Multiple installations of NT8

Is it possible to install multiple installations of NT8 on a single computer (using different paths)? Are there any issues with hard coded paths or assumptions of a single database?

Only a single copy would ever be run and there is only a single user of the computer, so the license should not be an issue.

The reason for this is to keep two environments separate (i.e. development and trading). I do a lot of development and want to keep all of those files separate from a clean trading environment. I currently do this with multiple computers, but would like to be able to consolidate down to a single computer.

It is not possible to install multiple instances of NinjaTrader on your PC. However there is a way to accomplish what you desire.

The "NinjaTrader 8" folder in your documents folder contains all the information which makes NinjaTrader "yours" (workspaces, indicators, connections, etc). NinjaTrader will load from whichever folder is named "NinjaTrader 8" in your documents folder. You can have multiple folders in the Documents folder which you simply rename as you wish to switch. Switching between these folders will allow you to accomplish what you desire. Here is an example:
    • Shut down NinjaTrader
    • Rename your "NinjaTrader 8" folder within the Documents folder to "NinjaTrader 8 Original"
    • Reinstall NinjaTrader - this creates a new "NinjaTrader 8" folder in the documents folder
    • Start NinjaTrader and configure it as you wish

To switch back:
    • Shut down NinjaTrader
    • Rename your "NinjaTrader 8" folder within the Documents folder to "NinjaTrader secondary"
    • Rename the "NinjaTrader 8 Original" folder within the Documents folder to "NinjaTrader 8"
    • Restart NinjaTrader

Comment

Thanks, that will work.

Comment

There is a small utility to have separate instances - https://puvox.software/blog/ninjatra...ted-instances/

Comment

Here's my deal: I'm a prop Trader. I want to place trades at the same time with 2 different companies. I don't want to have 2 different kinds of platforms in order to have them both open at the same time. I want to have 2 Ninjas open at the same time. Is THIS possible or am I still stuck switching back and forth between accts ?

Comment

If the two accounts have different underlying connection technology (i.e. CQG and Rithmic) then you could connect to both simultaneously in the same instance of NinjaTrader (but you may need a multibroker license key). I'd contact your broker(s) and ask about this. If it's two CQG or Rithmic based accounts that cannot be combined, then it will not be possible to connect to them within the same instance of NinjaTrader.

One potential solution would be to download and use both NinjaTrader 7 and NinjaTrader 8 on the same PC as they can both be running simultaneously.

Comment

While trying to instal NT8 based on the process you described, I face following issue: install button not active. Please help.

Comment

Hello GBF_PAT,

Thank you for your post.

If you are referring to the post above from NinjaTrader_PatrickG, did you uninstall NinjaTrader from the Control Panel prior to reinstalling? Please first uninstall NinjaTrader after renaming the folder and then attempt to reinstall. If NinjaTrader is still on your computer, it will not allow a second install. I've amended the original example:
                • Shut down NinjaTrader
                • Rename your "NinjaTrader 8" folder within the Documents folder to "NinjaTrader 8 Original"
                • Uninstall NinjaTrader from your Windows Control Panel
                • Reinstall NinjaTrader - this creates a new "NinjaTrader 8" folder in the documents folder
                • Start NinjaTrader and configure it as you wish
                To switch back:
                • Shut down NinjaTrader
                • Rename your "NinjaTrader 8" folder within the Documents folder to "NinjaTrader secondary"
                • Rename the "NinjaTrader 8 Original" folder within the Documents folder to "NinjaTrader 8"
                • Restart NinjaTrader
                ​Please let me know if further assistance is needed.
                Kennedy M.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Can you provide an update about this -
                  in the past it was possible to click NT 8 shortcut on desktop and add ` /d "C:\Users\MyUsername\Documents\NinjaTrader 8.dev"` like described here: https://puvox.software/blog/ninjatra...ted-instances/
                  but it no longer works.
                  please send that request to Dev.Team, so they can add support for `/d` runtime argument to input the separate folder, so we dont need to rename. it will save our (developers) time too much.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                  Started by Pattontje, Yesterday, 02:10 PM
                  2 responses
                  0 likes
                  Last Post Pattontje  
                  Started by flybuzz, 04-21-2024, 04:07 PM
                  17 responses
                  0 likes
                  Last Post TradingLoss