Import Metastock data

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Import Metastock data

I'm trying to import historical data from Metastock, but it asks for MASTER file in the import dialog. The Metastock files I have are in XMASTER format. Is there a way to import these files?
    Will symbols that aren't in the instrument list be automatically rejected?

Hello,

Thanks for your note.

Unfortunately, I'm not aware of a conversion process to change the formatting of these files. It may be possible to simply change the file extension like some of the other files in Windows, but this may cause issues with the actual file itself.

I would recommend contacting MetaStock to inquire about these formatting options.

If the instrument has not yet been added to the database, an error would be received upon importing historical data for that instrument.
    Drew O.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

I tried again, and the MASTER file is there, but it doesn't show in the NT dialog. I loaded it, and it generated a whole lot of errors about the ASK, which is strange as it's all EOD data, so there's no BID or ASK values. It seems to have worked, as I loaded some charts, but I have to restart NT for each file import, probably due to the errors. There's a file for each letter of the Alphabet, so it looks like it'll take a while.

Comment

Hello,

Thanks for your note.

Could you please provide a screenshot of the error you are seeing? I have included a link below for instructions on how to take a screenshot:

How to take a screenshot on your smartphone, tablet, notebook or desktop computer

Comment

I think the problem is with the Metastock data, as I did try to import intraday into it at one time, and the database has a lot of old data, which needs to be removed. The error just says ask value needs to be greater than or equal to close price.

Comment

Hello,

Thanks for your reply.

That being the case, I would recommend reaching out to MetaStock to inquire about the formatting of this file.

Comment

Originally posted by Matts View Post
              I think the problem is with the Metastock data, as I did try to import intraday into it at one time, and the database has a lot of old data, which needs to be removed. The error just says ask value needs to be greater than or equal to close price.
              Hi Matts , this is not a problem file data Metastock. This is the import problem of NT8.
              I also get an import error in NT8,
              I the MASTER file is there, but it doesn't show in the NT dialog. I loaded it, and it generated a whole lot of errors about the ASK .
              although this file MetaStock historical data is loaded perfectly in NT7.

Due to the fact that I can not download historical data in NT8, I am forced to use NT7

NT8 updates are coming out, but nobody solves the problem, it's sad
              Last edited by Aleks; 01-16-2018, 02:01 PM.

Comment

Hi Aleks, I realised it's an NT8 problem as well, after rechecking the data. Maybe you can get the import to work, as it's a bit tricky to do. It will generate a lot of errors in the log about the ASK, which I think you can safely ignore. You have to type MASTER into the dialog box as the file name. The dialog expects *.MASTER, but for me there's no ".MASTER" file, it's just "MASTER". The file won't show in the dialog, but after typing this and clicking Open, it went ahead and imported the data.
                Attached Files

Comment

The dialog expects *.MASTER, but for me there's no ".MASTER" file, it's just "MASTER".
                  Here is the dialog for loading Metastock data file in NT7
                  this differs from the import in NT8 and error log NT8
                  we will wait for a response from support
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Aleks; 01-19-2018, 07:12 AM.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                  Started by quantismo, 04-17-2024, 05:13 PM
                  4 responses
                  0 likes
                  Last Post quantismo  
                  Started by love2code2trade, 04-17-2024, 01:45 PM
                  4 responses
                  0 likes
                  Last Post love2code2trade