Sound Files

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sound Files

There seem to be No Error reporting on Sound Files in NT8.
    No Errors that Sound files Can't be found etc like NT7 had.
    Today writing a simple Time of Day Alert instead of writing a "Name.wav", I wrote
    "Name,wav" . The second one has a comma. It gave no Error on the file name and
    wasted way too much time trying to find it. Please improve the Error feed back on File
    names.

Hello,

Thanks for posting.

To clarify a bit further, would the concern here be more with the platform not recognizing it was an invalid name/format and instead searching for something that can't be found?
    Drew O.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Yes, Not just that the format was invalid but even when the Format is valid if the Name cannot be found
      I would expect an error. When nothing happens you don't whether it is Invalid Logic in the script, Invalid Sound file or the location is incorrect etc. Your left guessing. The only valid reason I can think of for Nothing to happen is for the Logic to be incorrectly coded as to the intended specification.

Comment

Hello JerryWar,

Thanks for providing that extra information. I will be looking into this further and will follow up here with more information.

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_DrewO View Post
          Hello,

Thanks for posting.

To clarify a bit further, would the concern here be more with the platform not recognizing it was an invalid name/format and instead searching for something that can't be found?
          An invalid reference to an object, MUST ALWAYS return an error, no matter the reason for the invalidity.

Comment

Hello JerryWar,

To clarify, would this be a custom item in which you are typing a sound as an input, or is this a field in the platform itself? On my end, I am seeing a meaningful error when selecting an invalid name/format.

Comment

A very simple custom indicator and sound file actually 3 sound files.
              2 played during testing and 1 would not. I swapped sound files in the logic and the
              2 still played the 1 would not. I thought there might be something wrong with the creation
              of the sound file so I re-created it. Still did not work. Finally after staring at it for long enough
              I found that instead of being "Name.wav" It was Name(comma)wav. NT8 gave absolutely no
              error on the invalid sound file string with a comma instead of period. It should of given one of two possible errors, either sound file not found or invalid file format string. This is the exact Wrong file passed to an Alert()

NinjaTrader.Core.Globals.InstallDir+@"\Sounds\Warn ing855,wav"
              Last edited by JerryWar; 02-14-2017, 04:50 PM.

Comment

Hello,

Thank you for the post.

I will put in a feature request for this item, the most simple solution though would be for you to just check if the file exists as it seems you are creating a custom item. If it does not exist, log a message about that.

You could use the following syntax for that type of check:

Code:
                string fileName = @"Warn ing855,wav";
                if(!System.IO.File.Exists(NinjaTrader.Core.Globals.InstallDir+@"\Sounds\" + fileName))
                {
                	Log(string.Format("Error - File {0} not found", fileName), LogLevel.Error);
                }
                Please let me know if I may be of further assistance.
                JesseNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by jclose, Today, 09:37 PM
                0 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post jclose
                by jclose

Started by WeyldFalcon, 08-07-2020, 06:13 AM
                10 responses