Incorrect MACD values in strategy based on Heiken Ashi Candle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Incorrect MACD values in strategy based on Heiken Ashi Candle

I am developing a strategy based on Heiken Ashi candles. I put in the the bar type as Heiken Ashi in the backtester settings and print the value of MACD and MACD.Diff, i get incorrect results. I run the strategy on bar closes, so i expect the MACD(12,26,9).Diff[0] to have the value from the last closed bar that i see on the chart.

An important thing to note is that, i want the indicators to compute the values based on the Heiken Ashi bars and so i run the strategy for the bar type of heiken ashi in the backtester settings. I don't pass any data series to the MACD function.

Am i missing something here?

Hello aviksamanta,

Thanks for your post and welcome to the forums!

What are you comparing the printed MACD values to (the chart in the strategy analyzer)?

Can you provide a screenshot that illustrates the observations that the MACD values are incorrect?

Thank-you.
    Paul H.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thanks for the quick response.

I am comparing the print messages in the strategy analyzer with that in the charts.

I want to verify, that if i want the indicator methods to be computed based on heiken ashi candles (rather than the normal bar periods), do i need to supply any data series in the indicator methods, or just specifying the bar type as Heiken ashi in the strategy analyzer/live strategy with the period set will direct the indicator methods use the Heiken ashi candles to compute?

I will get you some screenshots based on your response.

Comment

Hello aviksamanta,

Thanks for your reply.

If you are using chart bars of the Heiken-Ashi type, these would be the input to the indicator.

If you would prefer as it may be easier, feel free to send in your screenshots in an e-mail to PlatformSupport[at]NinjaTrader[dot]Com. Mark the e-mail Atten:Paul and please include a link to this thread.

Comment

Thanks for your reply. After carefully checking my code lines, i found that i added a data series to my code which probably causing the issue. Once i removed it, it works just fine.

I have 2 more questions, probably not related.
          1) Is it possible to backtest a strategy against a list of instruments or run it live against a list of instruments?

2) Is it possible to have a 2 strategies running on 2 different connection?

Comment

Hello aviksamanta,

Thanks for your reply, glad you were able to resolve.

Yes, you can backtest the strategy on a list of your choosing.

Yes, you can run the strategy live on a different instruments however, to be clear, you would have to assign/connect the strategy to the instrument when you add it to the strategy tab.

Yes, the strategy is run connected/assigned to an account. you would have different accounts for the different connections.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by GLFX005, Today, 03:23 AM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post GLFX005
            by GLFX005

Started by XXtrader, Yesterday, 11:30 PM
            2 responses