Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Questions on indicator templates

I have two questions regarding indicator templates:

(1) When I save indicator settings as a template, where are those templates stored?

I thought I would find them under Documents -> Ninjatrader 8 -> templates -> indicator, but this folder is empty.

(2) Some of my indicators just show the selected GroupName in the dialogue box and not the properties within that group. See screenshot attached, where the group PaintBars is closed.

What do I need to do to tell NinjaTrader that the properties of the PaintBar group shall be displayed, when the indicator is added to a chart? Currently it is always closed as shown in the screenshot.
    Attached Files

Hello Harry,

Thank you for your post.

(1) You would need to create a chart template to accomplish this. You can find the template in Documents\NinjaTrader 8\templates\Chart.

Chart templates duplicate your chart settings and the indicators set to that chart. When you open a new chart you can choose the template you created to load those saved settings.
    To save and create and Chart Template:

1. Once you have a chart set up to your liking, right mouse click and select the menu item Templates followed by the Save As... menu item

2. The Save Chart Template window will appear. Enter a name for your template and press the OK button.

(2) There is not a default option to do this in NinjaTrader.

Please do not hesitate to contact us for any other NinjaTrader inquiries you may have.
    Shawn B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hi Shawn,

Thank you for your answers.However, your answers are entirely missing the point. Let me repeat please.

(1) When you open the chart dialogue box of an indicator, it is possible to change the default settings for the indicator. This is done by selecting different values for the properties. These settings can then be saved and stored in the lower right corner of the indicator dialogue box.

The next time you add this indicator to a chart, it will be applied with the modified settings. This has nothing to do with a chart template.

The modified settings are stored somewhere. NinjaTrader 7 used indicator templates to store this information. The templates were stored in the subfolder templates -> indicators. For NinjaTrader 8 this subfolder is empty. Therefore my question was

Where does NinjaTrader 8 store the indicator templates?

(2) Also you did not answer my second question. I am not looking for selecting an option to have closed or open property groups. NinjaTrader has an annoying feature that it sometimes closes those groups for no reason, when I add a new indicator to the chart.

My question was, why is NinjaTrader closing the property groups as shown in the screenshot attached and how can I avoid it!

In fact I was looking for the indicator template, because I had the hope that the problem would go away, when I delete the indicator template.
      Last edited by Harry; 02-25-2017, 04:25 AM.

Comment

Hello Harry,

Thank you for your reply.

"Where does NinjaTrader 8 store the indicator templates?"
        The Presets will be stored in the UI.xml file under Documents\NinjaTrader 8 on your PC.

"My question was, why is NinjaTrader closing the property groups as shown in the screenshot attached and how can I avoid it!"
        NinjaTrader collapses the indicator window menu options by default. There is currently no option to manage this behavior in NinjaTrader by default.

Please do not hesitate to contact us for any other NinjaTrader inquiries you may have.
        Shawn B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_ShawnB View Post
          "My question was, why is NinjaTrader closing the property groups as shown in the screenshot attached and how can I avoid it!"
          NinjaTrader collapses the indicator window menu options by default. There is currently no option to manage this behavior in NinjaTrader by default.
          Hello Shawn,

Thank you for your answer.

Usually within all indicators, the menus are all expanded (not collapsed). For example, if you add the pivots indicator to your chart, the menus (defined via GroupName) are all expanded:

-> Parameters
          -> DataSeries
          -> Set up
          -> Visual
          -> Plots

Only when you click the little triangle in front of the group name, the menus will collapse.

Now on my main machine, there is an indicator that always opens up with a collapsed menu. I did save the indicator template and I did produce a chart templates. It seems that NinjaTrader stored a collapsed menu along with the template. However, I cannot reset that template. It is a bit strange.

It is not an important issue, and I cannot reproduce it. So maybe I will come back, once I have detected what causes the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_ShawnB View Post
            "Where does NinjaTrader 8 store the indicator templates?"The Presets will be stored in the UI.xml file under Documents\NinjaTrader 8 on your PC.
            Shawn,

I found the file and will check it next time, when there is a problem.

Thank you again.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by DanielSanMartin, Yesterday, 02:37 PM
            2 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post DanielSanMartin  
            Started by DJ888, 04-16-2024, 06:09 PM
            4 responses
            0 likes