New Chart Session Template only loads default template

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Chart Session Template only loads default template

When I open a new chart, and I want to use a different session template I change the session template in the Data Series => trading hours drop down menu.

When the chart actually opens it defaults to the <Use Instrument Settings>. It is not respecting the template settings I chose.

I then have to re-open the Data Series and set it again, and then it works.

Hello habibalex, and thank you for your question.

Data series presets are tied to the bar type you are selecting, where session templates are tied to the instrument you select. To save a session template to your new charts, once your charts load, right-click the chart, select template -> load, then load your chart template with your custom data series. Please let us know if there are any other ways we can help.
    Jessica P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

If that is the case why isn't Trading Hours Grayed out when opening a new chart?

I Load the default chart template =>
      then I select a different Trading Hours session => the chart opens
      I check the trading hours and it shows the default trading hours, not what I selected

Then I have to open Data Series =>
      Change trading hours to the template AGAIN
      Now my selected trading hours works,

This makes me think that something is wrong.

Comment

Hello habibalex, and thank you for your report.

This behavior was confirmed on our end. We will be investigating this further. Please keep an eye on the NinjaTrader 8 Release Notes page for updates and bugfixes.

Tracking ID: NTEIGHT-11331

Comment

Hello habibalex,

I have more information regarding this behavior. As this is currently the way Ninja is supposed to operate, I would like to propose the following feature request to the product management team for the following feature :

This customer would like a new default option "<Use template settings>" to appear in a Data Series window by default if a chart template exists.
          Please look over this request and let me know if I should modify it in any way before submitting it to the appropriate teams.

Comment

If the user can change the Trading Hours when a template is selected that is an incorrect behavior. Trading Hours options should be grayed out with the text <Use Template Settings>. Only when the user selects Load template <None> should the Trading Hours option be ungrayed out.

Comment

Thank you for this additional information habibalex. The current implementation does allow users to set a custom session template, which will stick until the template is re-applied. I would like to confirm that you are requesting this capability be removed entirely on chart creation, rather than suggesting that we should load the session template used by the chart template into the session template selector on chart creation.

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_JessicaP View Post
                The current implementation does allow users to set a custom session template, which will stick until the template is re-applied. .
                I am unable to set a trading hours template that is different than the chart template when opening a new chart. This is the original problem.

I don't really understand what you're trying to say, can you please explain?

Comment

I have prepared a short video explaining what I meant in my earlier post. This video starts off demonstrating the current behavior of Ninja. We have decided to treat changing this behavior as a feature request. This gives us a lot of flexibility as far as deciding how we would like Ninja to work.

One option is the one you suggested, where we grey out the option.

One option I suggested is that we pre-populate the trading hours pull-down when we select a template, but then allow you to select different trading hours.

Please let us know if you would like me to suggest one of these options, or possibly an option we have not yet considered, so that creating new charts works the way we would like.

Comment

What makes sense to me is to populate the Trading hours template to the selected chart template by default.

If the user selects a new trading hours template different than the selected chart template, it should show the new selected trading hours template when the chart loads.

Comment

Thank you, habibalex.

I have submitted a feature request to the product management team for the following feature :
                      This customer would like the Trading Hours pulldown to populate with the trading hours associated with a template when a template is selected
                      I will follow up with more information as soon as it's available. If the feature requests already exists, a vote will be added to it.

Please let us know if there are any other ways we can help.

Comment

Hello habibalex,

This feature is being reviewed by the product management team and has been assigned the following unique tracking ID

SFT-1990

There is also a related request to update the Help Guide, so that it informs users that Trading Hours are saved with a Chart's template. That request ID is

SFT-1989

Please let us know if there is any other way we can help.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                        Started by ghoul, Today, 06:02 PM
                        0 responses
                        0 likes
                        Last Post ghoul
                        by ghoul

Started by Barry Milan, Yesterday, 10:35 PM
                        6 responses