Automatic Change Detection Broken

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Automatic Change Detection Broken

Looks like the latest version of Ninjatrader has a small bug in detecting externally changed code. New Changes are not detected/compiled automatically and furthermore the menu item to compile it is permanently greyed out...
    Attached Files

Just noticed that the option comes back if you open any file inside the editor... Goes away again if you close the file. It makes no sense for this option to be linked in any way to files being opened or closed - you're never really building a single file - its all or nothing. But at least I can get around it.

I do prefer not having my code compiling automatically as I use a plugin in visual studio to save my changes immediately so its was constantly compiling while I was still coding.

Comment

Hello,

Thank you for the post.

I do see some abnormal behavior regarding the compile context menu, I will submit an item to development for this. I am unsure what the overall expectation is but it appears that in some cases the compile context item appears when a file is not open and sometimes not.

As far as the files not triggering a compile, I do see that currently the editor does not produce a sound but seems to update the changes from Visual Studio. I will submit an item on this as well as it would be expected that updates from file changes trigger a compile.

If I have anything further I can report I will reply back here.

I look forward to being of further assistance.
      JesseNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thanks Jesse - yeah I'm seeing the same behavior. It does actually appear to compile, but doesn't make a noise. It seems kinda inconsistent though. I've resorted to compiling manually just to make sure.... Gotta hear that beep!! I also noticed one of the buttons on the toolbar is a compile button - that's always enabled so it gets around the unpredictable right-click menu option to compile.

I realise the feature request list is already epic, but maybe the engineer who fixes this can slip in a menu-option for auto-compiling.... :-) I prefer using git source control from the command line as Visual Studio is a lot faster with source control disabled. So I use the VS "SaveAllTheTime" Extension to make sure my work is constantly saved to disk to make sure I don't check in unsaved work. Unfortunately Ninjatrader is constantly trying to compile unfinished code.

So I'm still using this powershell script that I posted about back in 2015 to copy files into my NT folder Post-Build. The VS integration has come along way since then but optional auto-compile would be amaze

Comment

Hello,

Thank you for the reply.

I can certainly add in a feature request for a toggle on the auto compile, regarding the other items I wanted to provide the tracking ids:
          11349 - File changes and VS.
          11348 - Right click compile

Comment

Hey Jesse, no worries on the feature request; I guess its kind of a niche requirement of mine. I just though maybe if the developer who fixes the bug could add it because its a 5 minute job to add a checkbox, and an IF statement.... But I guess there's a change management/approval process for such things. So don't worry about. I don't think it would get enough votes.

Is Ninjatrader developed in-house? I wondered if the "Customer Support" team were actually also the Developers because it seems most of you are decent coders...

Comment

Hello,

Thank you for the kind comment.

NinjaTrader is developed in-house, and we do try to work closely with development so that we can provide accurate samples and help in regard to NinjaScript. The NinjaScript team is separate from development but the majority of the NinjaScript team do know C# well and actively try to add to their knowledge daily. Development also actively posts on the forum which you may see from time to time on some of the more complex or involved items.

As far as the feature request, I already had submitted this item and it is really not a hassle. Please feel free to voice your opinions as we can actively relay that information to development to better the platform.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by PhillT, Today, 02:16 PM
              2 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post PhillT
              by PhillT

Started by Kaledus, Today, 01:29 PM
              3 responses