Rollover question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rollover question

I want to rollover ES-03 to ES-06 but I want to maintain charts of both for awhile. this is so simple wth NT7 but I can not figure out how to do it on NT8 Instructions seem to be

Manual Rollover
    You can choose to manually rollover each window to the next contract month. This may be useful for when you want to only partially roll over your workspace.
    Manually rolling the contract is done by typing in the next contract expiry in the windows instrument selector.For example: "ES 09-16" to "ES 12-16".

but this makes no sense either. how do I get to the windows instrument selector. where do I type in the words.

right now I have the RollOver window but I don't want all charts to become 06-17 I want BOTH 03-27 and 06-17 charts. the past data on 03 is full and complete and useful. the past data on 06-17 is spotty and not full of good data. for example simple trendlines are much better on the 03 charts.

I thought the old method on NT7 is better than this new fangled limited functionality all goes away approach for one but not able to customize for my needs. how do I do this. I need detailed instructions not an overview as the manually rolling instructions are NOT COMPLETE. they assume one is fully acquainted with everything. I need to learn things one at a time. I admit that rollover was tedious and slow but at least I had control on each chart. I can not seem to get control and update my charts one at a time while the other charts stay at the old value.

thanks for your help.

Hello Chile,

Thank you for your post,

You may begin typing when a chart window is selected, this brings a text box where you can type the contract. For example, single left-mouse click on a chart, then type "ES 06-17" > Press Enter.

You can also type in the Instrument field found on the top left of the chart, or when opening a chart via the New menu. After typing and selecting the instrument, it will list in all Instrument drop-down menus going forward. To lock it in place, hover your mouse over it in the drop-down list and select the pin that appears to the right of the instrument name.

We look forward to assisting further.
    Eric B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

WOW

That was super awesome information. wow this is really great software. hahaha.

I have to learn all these great items. I was watching a new webinar on NT8 today and they did some cool stuff. I was shocked. it was so cool. it was by Scott Carney. He was really making use of NT8 super capabilities. Most of it of course went over my head for a first shot introduction. but I was impressed. He wrote some software specially for NT8.

I think he has a few years of work into his software package for NT8.

anyway super thanks for your nice answer. I really appreciate it and have it working just fine now.

Comment

I seem to have more problems. I previously looked at ES now today I am looking at GC-04 comex gold april - Energy

all the data for January is missing including on the daily data and all hourly to 5 min charts are missing the data. I think there is more missing from end of december and maybe early february. anyway it is a big chunk missing. I went into Documents Ninja Trader 8 into db then cache and Nymex metals ETH and found a folder for MINUTE and inside another folder for GC 04-17

I deleted that complete folder and it came back on boot up of NT8 but the same data problems. also I do not find a file for the daily data but the Daily chart has the data missing also.

should I delete the charts and delete the MINUTE folder for april 17 comex gold as above again. this is getting silly. how do I get the data onto the chart.

also I have a major problem in understanding the times for the charts. for example I am running under instrument setting. but there are 4 times listed for Nymex trading. and if I go to comex they do NOT USE the terminology that NT8 uses to describe the times. how do I find out what all those times in the pull down menue refer to. this is becoming a major task to get a simple chart posted up. and to understand the times. I would like to get a chart of comex gold that is not 24 hours but only from the normal times when comex was open outcry. I think it is like 8:20 to 2:30 maybe but it is years since I knew what that was and my memory is almost for sure wrong. but you get the idea. the idea is to have comex gold when comex gold trades not when globex is open all 24 hours.

the same with ES I want to know how to make my own times for charts so I can do a chart of ES from opening 9 am when cash stocks trade to 4 pm when cash stocks end trading and not keep following ES on the chart. those limited time charts have some value. I can not trade 24 hours. I have to go to sleep sometime. hahaha.

you guys are doing a super great job. I am very patient person.

I figure we are a team. You write the software and I try to use it. eventually we will get it running. hahaha. thats life. lots of fun solving problems.

Comment

Thank you for your reply,

Glad to help out, to view what hours the Trading Hours Template refer to, go to Tools > Trading Hours. Use the left menu to select the template and view it's corresponding hours.

You may view what session template is in use on the chart by right clicking > Data Series > Data Section > Trading Hours.

When "< Use instrument settings>" is selected, NinjaTrader uses the hours that are defined in the instrument itself (Tools > Instrument > Search > Select by double clicking). See the below section of our help guide for more on using trading hours templates.

https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...urs_window.htm

Regarding the missing data, first, please make sure you are on the current version, 8.0.5.1, you can check via Help > About. If needed, you may update via the link below.

[URL="http://ninjatrader.com/PlatformDirect"]http://ninjatrader.com/PlatformDirect[/URL

Once on the current version, please reset your instruments.

* Disconnect from any active datafeed: Navigate to the Control Center > Connections menu, left-click the ‘disconnect’ button that appears to the right of any active connection.
          * Reset your instruments: Navigate to the Control Center > Tools > Database window, left-click to expand the ‘Update instrument lists’ section, ensure ‘Predefined instrument lists’ is checked, then left-click the Update button that appears just to the right of the two options in this section.
          * Restart NinjaTrader.

We look forward to assisting further.
          Eric B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by arvidvanstaey, Today, 02:19 PM
          4 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post arvidvanstaey  
          Started by samish18, 04-17-2024, 08:57 AM