Visual Studio 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Visual Studio 2017

Hi I have recently purchased Visual Studio 2017.

However when I active Visual Studio from within NJ8 it attempts to start Visual Studio 2015, which I do not have a license for.

Is there a configuration setting I can apply to have NJ8 work with Visual Studio 2017?

Thanks

Duncan

Hello,

Thank you for the post.

The platform is launching the .csproj file which is likely using the visual studio version selector and selecting 2015 based on the project file being opened.

If that is the case, you could either remove 2015 now that you have 2017 installed, or you would likely need to change the default application that opens .csproj files from the Version Selector to 2017.

If you open the folder: Documents\NinjaTrader 8\bin\Custom and double click on NinjaTrader.Custom.csproj, does it still open 15? if so this can likely confirm the version selector is defaulting to 15, from here you could right click the .csproj and go to "open with" to set a new default of 17.

If any other users currently have multiple versions installed and have faced the same problem, please feel free to post any advice as well.

I look forward to being of further assistance.
    JesseNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Jesse ok some success and a fail.

going directly to the NinjaTrader.Custom.csproj file path, I can force it to open using Visual Studio 2017.

However within NinjaTrader selecting VisualStudio from within the NinjaScript Editor still attempts to run Visual Studio 2015 (in my case I had a trial version of 2015 enterprise).

So I force Visual Studio 2015 to uninstall and Ninja tells me it now can not find any versions of Visual Studio at all. so I uninstalled Ninja Trader 8. rebooted and reinstalled, now I only have Visual Studio 2017 installed.

Same result. Ninja Trader 8 now tells me from within the Ninja Script editor that no versions of Visual Studio are installed.

So there must be a pointer within the Ninja Trader Config that is looking in a specific location on my PC for the Visual Studio exe. If we can find that it should be just a matter of updating the config, because clearly the csproj file works fine with Visual Studio 2017.

Thoughts?

Comment

Hello,

Thank you for the additional details.

I have provided these details to development for further review, in this situation you would need to manually open the .csproj file as the 2017 installation is not being seen. When I have further details on this item I will reply back here.

Please let me know if I may be of further assistance.
        JesseNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

can anyone help me with installation guide of visual studio 2017

Comment

Hi Chris, it's a web doc located here

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/vis...-visual-studio

Comment

Failed to find Visual Studio installation

I have only Visual Studio 2017 Community Edition installed. When I click on the Visual Studio (VS) icon on the NinjaScript editor I receive the following message, "Failed to find Visual Studio installation". This occurs even after selecting and defaulting the .csproj extension to VS 2017. The NinjaTrader.Custom.csproj file opens just fine in VS 2107. Hopefuly this is helpful information in resolving this bug. Why not just have it open whatever application you have associated with .cs files (instead of specifically trying to launch VS)?

Also, when there is an instance of Visual Studio running and I press the VS button in the NinjaScript editor, it tells me, "Please shut down all running instances of Visual Studio". It shouldn't require there to be no other running instances of VS.

Comment

Hi,

I have exactly the same problem. Looking forward to get a solution!

Thanks

Comment

Thank you for your report infin8loop. With regard to being unable to use VS 2017 with NT release 8.0.6.1 , while the Help Guide currently states you may use any version 2015 or greater, this behavior was confirmed on our end. We will be investigating this further. Please keep an eye on the NinjaTrader 8 Release Notes page for updates and bugfixes.

Tracking ID: NTEIGHT-11620

This said, under ordinary circumstances, you can typically run C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\MSEnv\VSLauncher.exe to launch your most recent version of Visual Studio.

With regard to
                  Why not just have it open whatever application you have associated with .cs files
                  Debugger software requires intimate integration with and support from NinjaTrader. While organizations such as the Joint Test Action Group (JTAG) exist for maintaining an embedded hardware debugging standard industry wide, and many hardware debuggers exist with the hardware requiring no special knowledge of the debugger, there is no comparable industry agreed upon standard for software debuggers. There are some standards emerging and many debuggers work very similarly to gdb debugger already, with common functionality such as "step over" and "step into". However, until there is a generic way to send messages to and receive messages from any debugger that meets a standard, for the time being, NinjaTrader will have to launch a specific editor to allow debugging. If you are interested in this topic I encourage you to search IEEE 1149.1 for more information.

This said, I have submitted a feature request to the product management team for the following features :

This user would like to be able to select which installed and available Visual Studio version to launch from the NinjaScript editor when debugging

This user would also like an "Open in external editor" button added to the NinjaScript editor

This user would also like to be able to open a new instance of the Visual Studio debugger even if there is an open instance of Visual Studio
                  I will follow up with more information as soon as it's available. If the feature requests already exists, a vote will be added to it.

Please let us know if there are any other ways we can help.
                  Last edited by NinjaTrader_JessicaP; 05-01-2017, 09:31 AM.
                  Jessica P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

With regard to NTEIGHT-11620 the Help Guide has been updated to state the following :

Originally posted by http://ninjatrader.com/support/helpGuides/nt8/en-us/?visual_studio_debugging.htm
                    You can debug your NinjaScript objects using Microsoft Visual Studio 2015, other version may work as well with potential limitations.

Only Visual Studio 2015 is supported at this time.

Comment

Hello all,

These features are being reviewed by the product management team and have been assigned the following unique tracking IDs

• Select which installed and available Visual Studio version to launch from the NinjaScript editor when debugging : SFT-2213
                      • Open a new instance of the Visual Studio debugger even if there is an open instance of Visual Studio : SFT-2214

Please let us know if there is any other way we can help.

Comment

Clarifications

Thanks for the replies.

The primary change request is to enable users to configure/select which version of Visual Studio to use with NinjaTrader. I think this should be done once (i.e. NOT each time the button is pressed); ideally it just uses the default configuration used by the VS version selector.

w.r.t to SFT-2214: Just to clarify, I don't think that it needs to open a new instance of the debugger each time - my comments were just that it shouldn't require there be no other instances of Visual Studio running. i.e. it should not assume that the only reason you have Visual Studio running is to debug NinjaTrader - it's open to work on other projects and I don't want to have to shut them all down just to debug NinjaTrader.

Also, I don't really see a need for an "Open in external editor" button. I didn't realize that the VS button was also trying to attach the debugger (just thought it was trying to open a file). In the past, I've relied on macros to attach Visual Studio to the running instance of NinjaTrader. If you're using .NET UI Automation classes, you might consider publishing the source code for them so they could be modified and maintained by the community.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                        Started by Perr0Grande, Today, 08:16 PM
                        0 responses
                        0 likes
                        Last Post Perr0Grande  
                        Started by elderan, Today, 08:03 PM
                        0 responses
                        0 likes
                        Last Post elderan