Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Order Entry for Equities

Hi Team,

Moving over to trading Equities but would like to keep using Ninja.

BASIC question: I can't seem to find the easiest way to enter an order for a stock, whereby I enter:
    -Trade Type (Mkt, MIT, etc)
    - Price
    - (Is there no option for use of IB's "market to limit" order?)
    - Target and Stop as OCO

I've obviously looked at the Order Ticket and Basic Order Entry (DOM is too hard for swing trading stocks obviously) but I can't seem to enter the stop price (greyed out) and what on earth am I supposed to enter in "OCO" field?

I get that the focus is futures, but how about a clear youtube video or page on STOCK trading? I need to be able to enter PRICE for stops and targets not "% or cents away". Also, for swing trading, stops and targets are a LONG way away, so it's QUITE IMPOSSIBLE to use the DOM to scroll up and down.

Chart trader also seems to lack a simple process, and to be honest, I don't want to trade off the chart, I just want to enter the values, quickly and easily, and submit.

What am I missing here?

Thanks,

Wave

Hello,

Within the Basic Entry you can create an ATM Strategy which will submit your Stop Loss and Profit Target at the predefined price with OCO attached automatically.

To use a price for the Stop Loss and Profit Target first right click in the Basic Entry window->Properties->Parameter type->Set to Price->Click Apply then click Ok.

Next within the ATM Strategy drop down menu select Custom. Next middle mouse click in the Stop Loss cell->Scroll to the price you want your Stop Loss submitted->Do the same for the Profit Target.

Next submit your entry order such as Limit, Stop, Stop Limit which will have your ATM Strategy attached.

Keep in mind the Stop cell will only become active when Stop or Stop Limit is selected from the Type drop down menu.

I have provided a link below to our Help Guide that goes over Submitting Orders in the Basic Entry window.

Let me know if I may be of further assistance.
    Christopher J.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Order Entry for Equities

Thanks Christopher,

It was the ability to set OCO stops and targets as dollars that I was missing. Note that I looked under 'right click' / 'properties', but that's not where it is.

Note that it is now "currency" and it is not a right click option, it's just in the ATM strategy section : )

As for the scroll to enter price advice, that is again a short term / futures thing. When longer term trading stocks, the targets are too far away to 'scroll to' !! So yes, I was very much needing the option of entering a price.

Would be nice if the "buy" and "sell" buttons where not so close to the Buy Bid / Mkt buttons. That's an accident waiting to happen, again, think stock trader here.

I note that STOP LIMIT doesn't appear as an option, although I can use this type with IB, is this a Ninja limitation for STOCKS ?

I have "stop market" is that for a "stop to enter - long above market, short below?"

Final, new question, apart from the creation of a custom strategy, is it possible to have say a MIT order reside in Ninja, and NOT be automatically sent to IB / TWS? i.e. ONCE the market touches, THEN send the order? Or will all orders be immediately transmitted to IB?

Thanks, please don't miss any of my questions in there ; )

Much appreciated,

Comment

I apologize yes if you are using NinjaTrader 8 this setting is found within the ATM Strategy window directly as opposed to the Properties.

Can you tell me what options you have in the Type drop down menu currently.

Stop Market can be use for both a stop entry long above the market or stop entry short below the market.

MIT orders will depend on the order state which can be seen within the Orders tab of the Control Center. I have provided a link below that goes over the order states and where the order resides.

Christopher J.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thanks again Chris,

Type options I have: Limit, Market, Stop Market, MIT.

If I want to write a strategy to manage orders with Interactive Brokers in a more advanced way, will it be possible to use ANY of the IB Order Types, or only those supported by NT? Wouldn't there be a way to use the IB code directly with the API?

Basically, say I wanted to send the IB API specific order type: Market on Close; Market on Open; or Market WITH Limit ?

Surely there would be a way to access these?

Thanks

Comment

Hello waverider,

Thanks for your question.

Fully automated strategies created for NinjaTrader are created with NinjaScript and use the order methods built for NinjaScript. These order methods then interface with the provider's API for order submission. There is no direct access to API functions.

NinjaScript order methods do not include specific Market on Close or Market on Open orders. NinjaScript strategies can be configured to calculate on each tick or calculate on bar closes, so you can create your own logic to submit market orders at the close of a bar or the next tick after a bar close which you be the next open.

Calculate: https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...?calculate.htm

I'm not aware of the Market WITH Limit functionality, but it sounds like it would offer the same functionality as a Market If Touched order. If you let me know more about this order type, I could provide some insight on how it can be done in NinjaTrader.

Order methods in NinjaScript follow a Managed Approach for beginner and intermediate developers, or an Unmanaged Approach for advanced developers. You can see the syntax for all of these orders here: https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...er_methods.htm

If you would like to get more familiar with fully automated strategies in NinjaTrader 8, I suggest spending some time playing with the Strategy Builder to create simple NinjaScript strategies.

A live webinar on the Strategy Builder can be attended here: http://ninjatrader.com/Webinar/Strategy-Builder-301

This webinar is also recorded and can be found here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KQF2Sv27oE

Other users have wrote in about getting started with NinjaScript in our support forums here: http://ninjatrader.com/support/forum...d.php?p=488807

Please let me know if you have any further questions.
            JimNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by DJ888, 04-16-2024, 06:09 PM
            6 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post DJ888
            by DJ888

Started by Jon17, Today, 04:33 PM
            0 responses