Request: Restore previous zoom when changing timeframes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Request: Restore previous zoom when changing timeframes

I've been tracking my trading with videos so I can look back to see what I'm doing. I noticed that a large amount of time was spent re-zooming my charts when switching from 4 hour to 133tk to 1 day to 1600tk over and over again all day. If you just think of the second or two (or more) it takes each time you can see how this adds up and really clogs up the workflow.

It'd be ideal if NT8 would remember that I only wanted to see 300 bars of the total set last time I looked at ES 4h, so re-size to that view/zoom if I go back. It would be great if this was also saved on a per-instrument basis so I can leave my 512tk cl a little zoomed in and my 512tk ES squished to see all the detail and not have to fiddle with it when I flick between them intraday.

It doesn't seem like something that lends itself to an indicator/addon and I can't see any downside to switching this behavior by default or at least adding a toggle for it. I would bet if you profiled for what users do they often switch to the exact same zoom after switching back to a timeframe anyway. Thoughts?

Hello,

Thanks for your note.

It would be possible to have additional charts of the same instrument open in your workspace, so you would not have to switch back and forth between different intervals.

Otherwise, you can right-click within the chart and select "Data Series." Then, change the "Load data based on" setting to "Bars" and the "Bars to load" to 300. Once set, click the "Preset minute" button in the bottom right-hand corner to make this the new default for Minute-based charts.
    Drew O.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Neither suggestion really seems to betray an understanding of my issue with the way NT8 works when it switches between intervals. I should add I already use your second suggestion. It's not really what I'm talking about.

I want it to remember that I zoomed in to show 300 bars on my Hourly chart and 1800 bars on my 133tk chart regardless of how many bars are in the data series.

It makes no sense to have me stretch my X-axis zoom to show 300 bars of my 4H chart and then also present me with 300 bars if I switch to 133tk. Obviously I'm going to zoom back to whatever zoom I used last time on 133tk because there's no way I want to look at the same number of bars as I was looking at on the last timeframe.

It would be a huge usability improvement to save the horizontal zoom the user applies on a per-timeframe per-instrument basis. We spend a huge amount of time fiddling with our charts intraday, please push this extremely easy fix into an upcoming version.

Comment

Bump, has a NT8 employee seen this? I want to make sure my suggestion was considered and not merely misunderstood and forgotten about. I can't be the only one with this issue with timeframe switching. Anybody else?
        Last edited by jcrza; 04-06-2017, 11:17 AM.

Comment

Hello,

We appreciate the feedback and I'm happy to submit a Feature Request to the Development Team to consider the possibility of implementing a feature like this in future releases of the platform.
          Drew O.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by nandhumca, Today, 03:41 PM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post nandhumca  
          Started by The_Sec, Today, 03:37 PM
          0 responses
          0 likes