Highs and Lows of sessions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Highs and Lows of sessions.

Is there an indicator in NT8 that plots the high and low of the day as well as the 24 hour session?
    Thanks.

Hello Trader17,

I am not aware of an indicator that plots the high and low of two different sessions for the same instrument but this may be possible to create.

In NinjaTrader 8, a trading hours template can be supplied to the AddDataSeries() call.
    AddDataSeries(string instrumentName, BarsPeriod barsPeriod, string tradingHoursName)

This means that a custom coded indicator could be created that finds the data points from BarsInProgress 0, and finds the data points from BarsInProgress 1.

The CurrentDayOHL indicator builds using intra-day data as daily bars come fully formed from the provider and cannot have a trading hour template applied.

This thread will remain open for any community members that may know of a script that achieves your goals or would like to create one for you as a convenience to you.
    Chelsea B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by Trader17 View Post
      Is there an indicator in NT8 that plots the high and low of the day as well as the 24 hour session?
      Thanks.
      Could you please elaborate on

-> high and low of the day
      -> high and low of the 24 hour session

How would you define a day as opposed to the 24 hour session?

Comment

Thanks. I meant the regular trading hours and the overnight session.

Comment

Do you mean something that would look like this, where the .e suffix means eth and the .r suffix means rth?

I do not know of any such indicator..
          Attached Files

Comment

Yes exactly. The RTH and ETH. Can charts be done in Ninja that way too? Use just RTH or ETH to buils a chart? I know in Trade Station used to be .D for the day session or RTH.
            Thanks.

Comment

NinjaTrader uses session templates. The session template logic or an individual logic can be used to calculate RTH / ETH session highs and low.

For example the indicator shown below

- calculates yesterday's session high or low from ETH or RTH data (user's choice)
              - displays floor pivots (calculated from RTH data) or GLOBEX pivots (calculated from ETH data)

The first chart shows full session high/low and pivots, the second one shows regular session high/low and pivots.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Harry; 04-18-2017, 01:25 PM.

Comment

Where do I find the indicator that plots the hi and lo for both sessions? I guess I can have both on the same chart, correct?
                Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Trader17 View Post
                  Where do I find the indicator that plots the hi and lo for both sessions? I guess I can have both on the same chart, correct?
                  Thanks.
                  Indicators shown are under development and will be available in a few weeks time. There will be a free and a commercial version that has additional options.

Comment

Thank you.

Comment

The NT8 indicator in my screen shot, the one that "does not exist", displays the high and low of the current day opening range and 2x and 3x the opening range, pivots, mid pivots, previous day RTH and ETH levels, current day ETH and RTH levels, ETH and RTH VWAP, and either RTH or ETH VWAP bands. All in one single indicator. Thanks to BOB. Maybe I will add a few more levels, such as the weekly pivot.

Most of these can be turned on and off and/or selected with a toolbar menu.

And not only that, you can actually see where all the levels are,because none of the labels will ever overwrite. Haven't decided what to do with this yet but let's just say that A LOT of work went into it and I am not feeling very philanthropic right now.

But you can always use five or more different free indicators to display this information, cluttering your chart to intelligibility.
                      Last edited by Ricam; 04-19-2017, 12:46 AM.

Comment

Hello Trader17,

An alternative you may wish to consider/test is using a hidden data series where the displayed data series shows your full session and the hidden data series is based on RTH trading hours. You can then apply two instances of the NinjaTrader indicator CurrentDayOHL. The indicator will show the session Open, High and Low. You can turn any of the three plots off. You would assign one of the two instances of the indicator to the hidden dataseries so that it only reacts to and displays on RTH hours.

I've created a walk through video to show how this works ( I didn't actually hide the second data series as I wanted to be sure you could see how everything is being generated). To hide the dataseries you would actually change it to a chartstyle of "Line on close" type and set the color to transparent and assign to the same panel as the charts first dataseries. https://www.screencast.com/t/yGpGUM7N
                        Paul H.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thank you so much. Ninja Trader absolutely rocks!!

Comment

Hi Paul,

I was watching your screencast for currentdayOHL is there a way to stop the continously flowing stairsteps, I would only like it to show only 1 line for current high and low. Thanks

Comment

Hello Bdg820,

Thanks for your post.

The indicator CurrentDayOHL() has an option to "Plot current value only". This will be straight lines only, of the current session (and projects into the past), and does not show the progression to high or low.
                              Paul H.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by algospoke, Yesterday, 06:40 PM
                              2 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post algospoke  
                              Started by ghoul, Today, 06:02 PM
                              3 responses
                              0 likes