Update Instruments - Exchanges

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Update Instruments - Exchanges

I haven't been able to find anything specific to using the Update Instruments - General Properties function that states that the Exchange used will also be updated.

In importing an instrument list via Tools you are able to set the exchange to use. The issue is 9 out of 10 times the comma separated list that is added to that dialog box contains symbols of say both NYSE and NASDAQ however you may only select a single exchange when importing.

For example you create an instrument list that contain 200 items and 50% are traded on the NYSE and 50% are traded on the NASDAQ however NYSE was the option selected for importing.

Question: Is using the Update Instruments function, General Properties & Symbol Mappings, suppose to update the exchange in which that instrument is traded on?

In testing this it does not. I found a symbol that was set to NYSE but should have been NASDAQ, performed the update, then reviewed that Instruments properties and only Default & NYSE was selected. If this is set wrong does it have any affect when using IB as the broker?

Thanks,

Hello antrux,

When importing, you would only want to import lists for the same exchange at a time and I would not recommend mixing and matching.

If the instrument is not already in the NinjaTrader database, then these would not be on the settings server to provide updates for those instruments.

Yes, Interactive Brokers does require correct settings to properly map an instrument.

Below is a link to a post where I have demonstrated how to use TWS to get instrument settings for NinjaTrader.
    Chelsea B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Ok, so it does matter.

How are instruments added to the NT servers then?

If an instrument is on the NT servers will the correct Exchange also be updated?

Is there a way of us knowing/seeing what is available on the NT servers?

What issues might I see if this is set incorrectly? Trading only stocks during RTH across the two exchanges means that time shouldn't be an issue and as long as the symbol used is good for IB then BRK.X vs BRK_X also isn't an issue. As for data subscribing I use Kinetick as the sole data feed.

So is NT telling IB Gateway what exchange to send the order too or is IB servers looking that up and then doing so?

Thus far I haven't had any issues but was more of a matter of curiosity. I have hundreds of instruments who's Exchange is set to NYSE yet they are only traded on the NASDAQ yet through IB Gateway they always seem to buy and sell just fine. I had always assumed that Gateway would just get the signal to buy XYZ and in return IB would use it's internal knowledge/symbol lookup to know where to properly send the order because by all appearances this is how it looks to work.

Now the main reason for these additional questions is because if I need to go in and lookup each instrument and set the exchanges manually then this will cost a few hours of time.

Comment

Hello antrux,

Thank you for your response.

How are instruments added to the NT servers then?
        NinjaTrader has servers for historical and replay data. These instruments are set up as you would see in NinjaTrader.
        If an instrument is on the NT servers will the correct Exchange also be updated?
        The instruments on the NinjaTrader historical and replay servers are the same as you would see in the platform, so the exchange would be correct.
        Is there a way of us knowing/seeing what is available on the NT servers?
        In regards to what server? Replay or Historical? You are using Interactive Brokers and Kinetick, correct? The Interactive Brokers and Kinetick connection does not have access to the Historical data from the NinjaTrader servers as the historical data is provided by Interactive Brokers or Kinetick respectively. You would need to contact the data provider directly for what instruments are available for historical data.
        What issues might I see if this is set incorrectly?
        Real-time and historical data would not come through, you should also see errors in the Log tab of the Control Center for requesting data or routing orders to the incorrectly set up instrument.
        So is NT telling IB Gateway what exchange to send the order too or is IB servers looking that up and then doing so?
        NinjaTrader sends the exchange as set up in the Instrument Manager for the instrument, IB receives that information and routes it according to the exchange routing set up on the IB side.

Please let me know if we may be of further assistance.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by algospoke, Yesterday, 06:40 PM
        2 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post algospoke  
        Started by ghoul, Today, 06:02 PM
        3 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post NinjaTrader_Manfred