Changing Plot names around

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changing Plot names around

I deleted some plots that were no longer necessary. I understand that plots are global and there is a corresponding global declaration in the properties grid. I changed the values to match and deleted the extra declarations. Everything works fine ..... BUT

The name in indicator control panel is still the old name. I have deleted the old indicators, added in the new ones. Still the name is the old name.

I searched in the editor for the old name. The search cannot find the old name.

So I deleted the workspace rebooted and created a new one. Still the old name.

What is going on ? lol

See attached these two plot names do not exist in my code. I even deleted the Ninja Generated code and recompiled. Removed and Replaced the Indicator over a dozen times. Rebooted Ninja, Rebooted the computer. Checked to make sure the code in Bin/custom/indicator was the same. All to no avail

I am at my wits end with NinjaTrader 8
    Attached Files
    Last edited by JerryWar; 04-28-2017, 07:20 PM.

Originally posted by JerryWar View Post
    I deleted some plots that were no longer necessary.
    The name in indicator control panel is still the old name. I have deleted the old indicators, added in the new ones. Still the name is the old name.
    Did you delete both the AddPlot() from State.SetDefaults and the associated property?
    For example, you'd want to delete both items as shown below. Notice that the names differ: "OP" vs. CurrentOpen, so a search for "OP" would not find the CurrentOpen property and vice versa.
    Code:
    [COLOR=Green]// delete this AddPlot:[/COLOR]
    AddPlot(new Stroke(Brushes.Transparent, DashStyleHelper.Dash, 2), 
        PlotStyle.Square, "OP");
    [COLOR=Green]// and also delete the following property section:[/COLOR]
            [Browsable(false)] 
            [XmlIgnore()] 
            public Series<double> CurrentOpen
            {
                get { return Values[0]; }
            }

Comment

Tradesmart,
      Thanks you just reinforced that I am not loosing my mind. I knew exactly what had to be changed in order to delete those plots. I not only have I checked every line in file manually for the name but I used two different editors to search the file. It is just not there. The funny thing is the name that should be there is not showing. But the data that is actually plotting is the right data and before there were 5 plots and now there are only two which is what it should be. I rebuilt the workspace from scratch just in case. I am almost ready to delete the NT8 installation and reinstall because I am at a loss and I don't like having an unexplained issues floating around.

Also as I understand it is the Property name that is public that appears in the indicator panel. I only relates to the addplot by way of the value[0] which is the first plot added. So I get how it all works. It just is not doing what it should.
      Last edited by JerryWar; 04-29-2017, 04:39 PM.

Comment

So this is what I did, I commented out all the plots, Commented out the plot public code in the property grid and any reference in my code. I compiled and loaded the altered indicator on to a chart. As expected the plot names no longer showed in the indicator panel. I then uncommented and recompiled. The old plot incorrect plot names came back. Ninja has to be remembering these somewhere and not properly replacing the names. To prove this I renamed the indicator, started out with the commented version and applied it to a chart. As expected no plot names. Now I uncommented the renamed indicator and recompiled. When the indicator was loaded it had the correct plot names because Ninja did not have an old reference for this newly named indicator

THIS IS ANOTHER NT8 BUG.

Comment

Hello JerryWar,

Thanks for reporting there may be an issue.

I've attempted to take the same steps on my end but I was not able to reproduce.
          Free online storage and sharing with Screencast.com. 2 GB of storage and 2 GB of bandwidth per month for free. We won't compress, alter or take ownership of your content.

Are you getting different behavior when using the same steps I've taken in the video?

If so, please let me know and I will have you test with a clean environment and if you are still able to reproduce (while using 8.0.6.1) I'd like to schedule a call during our normal support hours.
          Chelsea B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

What I did was different. But let me ask a question first.

Where are these names being stored , outside of my Code. I know Ninja has to be doing something with them because My old names do not exist in my program yet they still appear in the indicator panel. I created new workspaces so they are not being remembered in the workspace either.

What I did different was change the name in the properties grid for the public name. My Public name in the properties grid agrees with name in the add plot. Just like yours did when you initially created the indicator. What you did was only change the name in the add plot.

Comment

Originally posted by JerryWar View Post
              So this is what I did, I commented out all the plots, Commented out the plot public code in the property grid and any reference in my code. I compiled and loaded the altered indicator on to a chart. As expected the plot names no longer showed in the indicator panel. I then uncommented and recompiled. The old plot incorrect plot names came back. Ninja has to be remembering these somewhere and not properly replacing the names. To prove this I renamed the indicator, started out with the commented version and applied it to a chart. As expected no plot names. Now I uncommented the renamed indicator and recompiled. When the indicator was loaded it had the correct plot names because Ninja did not have an old reference for this newly named indicator

THIS IS ANOTHER NT8 BUG.
              It looks to me like you may have saved a default profile for the indicator. Have you checked that, and cleared the default profile if there is one?

Comment

Konogam
                Thank you , that was where the name was being saved. I would argue they shouldn't save the display names just the values and if the name changes the preset should be deleted because it is no longer valid.

Comment

Hello JerryWar,

May I confirm you are talking about the name of a plot as this would appear in the DataBox and not the display label (Name) of an indicator that appears on the top left of the chart?

Can you include a screenshot of the property you are attempting to change to change the name of a plot within an indicator?

Comment

Chelsea
                    I am referring to the Plot Names in the Indicator settings panel and Data Box.
                    Not the indicator name. I reset the indicator defaults => Preset =>Restore and
                    the old name disappeared . So it was the default keeping the old name. Attached are the code Statements AddPlot and PropertyGrid. I always assumed these were tied together by name as well as Value[] since they are created that way by the Indicator wizard. However seeing you only change the addplot name raised questions as the proper procedure. I assume the first addplot is Value[0]. If we compile and then change the add plot sequence and recompile, even tho the names match, do we alter which is value[0]? I really think if the names are changed the defaults must be cleared. because the code has changed regarding the default and is no longer relevant.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Hello JerryWar,

No, the public series and public properties do not need to be removed or altered.

I was able to confirm that the template is storing the name of the plot and must be removed for the new plot name to display.

Free online storage and sharing with Screencast.com. 2 GB of storage and 2 GB of bandwidth per month for free. We won't compress, alter or take ownership of your content.

I have submitted a report to our development about this to see if this is expected behavior (and requiring a feature request) or unexpected and would be submitted as a bug report.

Comment

Chelsea,
                        Thanks - In the big picture of things, Once I understood it, its not a big deal. However, within the scope of other issues, crashes etc i am having, It was a big deal because it left a question mark about what in fact was causing it.

Jerry

Comment

Hello Jerry,

I have received a tracking ID for this behavior.

This behavior where saving a template for an indicator prevents changes to the plot names in code from taking affect is being tracked with ID #NTEIGHT-11630.

Our developers have noted, however, that anytime you change properties or plots in any script, you must remove any templates created for them. In both NinjaTrader 7 and in NinjaTrader 8, it is possible for templates to cause crashing if the template does not match the code of the script.

Comment

Is it possible these crashes might not occur immediately after removing and Reloading the indicator in Question. Just wondering if it there could be some relationship to random issues and crashes. I can understand wanting to keep the templates when removing the indicator because you changed it. But leaving it in place when it potentially could cause a crash is kind of like a lose-lose proposition.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                            Started by frankthearm, Today, 09:08 AM
                            7 responses
                            0 likes
                            Last Post NinjaTrader_Clayton  
                            Started by NRITV, Today, 01:15 PM
                            1 response
                            0 likes
                            Last Post NinjaTrader_Jesse