Longer-Term Drawings Visible on Lower Timeframes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Longer-Term Drawings Visible on Lower Timeframes

Could I please +1 on the feature request for being able to have drawings which were created on higher-timeframes visible on lower time-frames? Presently they vanish unless the anchor points that were used to create the drawing are also visible on the bar range of the lower timeframe and I have missed opportunities.

There's no technical-limitation to achieving this feature; it just needs clever design. Even using the Int32 type for an index as it does now; Ninjatrader's internal bar-grid is theoretically big enough for 4,294,967,296 individual bar indices.

That's enough to map the position of 136 years of 1-SECOND bars to the X-Axis meaning the grid is already big enough to support global drawings. It would be as simple as mapping the DateTime of the drawing's anchor-point to its internal grid index which would be the number of seconds since the Grid's origin.

Code:
    (_anchorDatetime - _gridOriginDatetime).TotalSeconds
    From there it gets converted to pixels - sharpdx has lots of utility methods for determining projections and intersections. So you could determine if a projected line intersects with the visible chart area easily and efficiently and only render what is required.

TradingView supports this feature and its a web platform! On the attached screenshot I drew a Ray on the daily chart anchored around a year ago (just anchored in the middle of nowhere - no bars etc) and projected it forward to the present. Then switched to the 1m chart and its visible there.

When there's such great technical innovation in the Ninjatrader product its disappointing that drawings are still disappearing. Although things have improved a lot since NT7 in this regard. Anyway If you could +1 my vote and pass on my technical design suggestion to your Solution Architect I would be much obliged.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by reach4thelasers; 05-12-2017, 08:18 AM.

Thank you for your comment reach4thelasers . With the feature request you are referencing, do you have a web link or a tracking number? If so please let me know and I will pass this information along. Otherwise I am attempting to create a clear case of this on my end and will get back to you when I have more information.
    Jessica P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Please add a vote for this feature.
      MT4 had it back when Jesus was still wearing short trousers (they're on MT5 now, and I'd be sure it will still have it, dead useful)

Comment

It looks like I wasn't quite able to see the same thing on my end that you are describing on yours. Ninja already appears to be behaving the way you are describing. In case my steps need to be changed I made a short video. Please review this video and let me know if I can do anything differently to see this on my end.

Free online storage and sharing with Screencast.com. 2 GB of storage and 2 GB of bandwidth per month for free. We won't compress, alter or take ownership of your content.

Comment

Hey Jess, Thanks for reaching out with the video to clarify things. You're always so incredibly diligent - I love that!

So here are some screenshots to exemplify what I mean.

Chart 1 is a 4H chart with a trendline drawn using a Ray at two significant pivot lows. (The 4H timeframe is a very important and significant time frame in FX). - note the anchor points of the ray... around the 21st / 25th April.

I have also drawn a horizontal and vertical line and a diamond as a target so we know where price most recently intersected this line.

Chart 2 is the 3 minute chart (also 1000 bars). Note that the target line is there, but no trend line.

Chart 3 shows the trendline - bunched up on the far left of the chart.

The difference between your chart and mine is that yours had the same time-range between higher and lower timeframes whereas mine had a fixed number of bars. I would need to either set the timerange to include the anchor points (thus loading tens of thousands of bars) and this is very bad for performance.
          Attached Files

Comment

Thank you for your patience, I believe we are getting close to our developers having enough information to implement this.

When I create the following scenario :

• A GBPJPY chart on 240 minute bars going back 1000 bars
            • A horizontal line at 147.34
            • A vertical line at the 11th of May 2017 07:00:00 AM
            • A ray with that intersection as its 2nd endpoint, and (21st April 11:15:00 AM, 139.25) as its origin

When I then switch this to a 3 minute chart 1000 bars back, I am still able to see all three lines intersect.

Could I ask you to review this video as well and let me know any other steps I should tweak?

Comment

Hey Jessica!

The ray's anchor points are 21st April and 25th April. The rest of the line is a projection from that point into the future.
              Attached Files

Comment

Thank you reach4thelasers. This behavior was confirmed on our end. We will be investigating this further, including examining NT7's behavior and an impact analysis. Please keep an eye on the NinjaTrader 8 Release Notes page for new features, updates, and bugfixes.

For our notes : the attached pic1.xml contains
                1. A GBPJPY chart, 1000 bars back, 240 minute, up until 23:00:00 PM the 12th of May 2017
                2. A horizontal line at 147.34
                3. A vertical line at the 11th of May 2017 13:00:00 PM
                4. A ray with endpoints (21st April 17:15:00 PM, 139.25) and (26th of April 01:00:00 AM, 140.61)
                5. All 3 lines intersect