Indicator lower time frame on higher time frame chart

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Indicator lower time frame on higher time frame chart

Is there a way to have an indicator on a higher time frame chart calculating lower time frame calculations. For example put a 1 minute MACD on a 5 minute chart.

Thanks,

P

Hello P,

Thank you for posting in our forum.

To add a MACD indicator based off of 1 minute data, plotted over a 5 minute chart, please follow the instructions below:

* First create a 5 minute chart as usual (New>Chart...)
    * Right click within your chart window and select Data Series...
    * Add a second data series, the same instrument as your 5 minute chart, but set the parameters to be a 1 minute chart
    * You should now see two-paneled chart with 5 minute on top and 1 minute below
    * Next, right click and select Indicators... Find your MACD indicator in the top left hand corner, and click New to add it.
    * In the parameters to the right, set your Input Series to your 1 minute data series (Close)
    * Set your Panel to 1,and click OK
    * Next, move your pointer to the right of your price axis (y-axis) on the top panel of your chart window, and right click>Maximize.

You now should see a 5 minute chart, with a MACD indicator plotted over it based off of a 1 minute Data series.

If I may be of further assistance, please let me know.

Comment

Hi,

Thank you for the response. Is there a way to get rid of the 1 min price action?

Thanks,

P

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Micah View Post
      Hello P,

Thank you for posting in our forum.

To add a MACD indicator based off of 1 minute data, plotted over a 5 minute chart, please follow the instructions below:

* First create a 5 minute chart as usual (New>Chart...)
      * Right click within your chart window and select Data Series...
      * Add a second data series, the same instrument as your 5 minute chart, but set the parameters to be a 1 minute chart
      * You should now see two-paneled chart with 5 minute on top and 1 minute below
      * Next, right click and select Indicators... Find your MACD indicator in the top left hand corner, and click New to add it.
      * In the parameters to the right, set your Input Series to your 1 minute data series (Close)
      * Set your Panel to 1,and click OK
      * Next, move your pointer to the right of your price axis (y-axis) on the top panel of your chart window, and right click>Maximize.

You now should see a 5 minute chart, with a MACD indicator plotted over it based off of a 1 minute Data series.

If I may be of further assistance, please let me know.

Comment

Hello P,

Thank you for your reply. Yes, first right click in your chart window and select Data Series. Set your 1 minute data series to panel 3. Here is what you now have in your chart.

Panel 1: 5 minute chart
        Panel 2: MACD based off of 1 minute data
        Panel 3: 1 minute chart

The best way to show just panels 1 and 2 is to compress panel 3 down to the point of barely seeing it. Additionally, in the Data Series window you can set your 1 minute chart to a Line on Close chart style, and then change the Color of the line to Transparent. This will remove the 1 minute price action completely from view.

If I may assist further, please let me know.

Comment

The problem with that technique is it only works for Minute Bar. If you use Tick or Volume bars. The Bar display is totally corrupted by randomly spaced bars which destroys your perception of price movement.

Jerry

Comment

Hello Jerry,

Thank you for your post.

NinjaTrader 8 will allow you to have equidistant bar spacing enabled for multiple data series (Same or different type / value). This has been improved based on our feedback from our NinjaTrader 7 users.

In NinjaTrader 7, the uneven spacing of bars from different interval tick-based data series is expected on the same chart. However in NinjaTrader 8, you should be able to load two different tick-based intervals of the same instrument on a chart without uneven bar spacing.

Can you please confirm you are using NinjaTrader 8 and experiencing this problem?

Comment

Micah
              Me Bad, I thought this was a NT7 Post. I was using NT8 but switched back to NT7 because of the OnRender issues with the draw commands. I will look forward to trying using this technique when those bugs have been exterminated.

Comment

Here is what happens when you insert a Lower time frame Data Series on a Chart that contains an indicator with Draw.Text. I reported this problem over 9 months ago. I proved it with a simple script and it was acknowledged by support some 5 months ago. And it still hasn't been addressed.
                Attached Files

Comment

Hello Jerry,

Thank you for your post. Please send us an email at platformsupport [at] ninjatrader.com, and we will be happy to address this issue.

Comment

I have done it on a 10 min bar but I can't have 10min mim bar squished as much as I want.
                    What to do in order to have it very, very close one bar to another, like almost overlapping?
                    Ty.
                    Grace

Comment

Hello Grace,

Thank you for your post. I am not entirely sure what you are trying to achieve, but perhaps the following key commands will help you scale your chart to your preferences.

Hold CTRL and press the up and down arrows - decreases/increases the space between your bars

Hold ALT and press the up and down arrows - decreases/increases the width of your bars (this method will get your bars to overlap one another if you hold ALT and press the down arrow.

If you have any other questions, please let me know. If you could also provide a screen shot that might be helpful.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                      Started by michi08, 10-05-2018, 09:31 AM
                      3 responses
                      0 likes
                      Last Post NinjaTrader_ChelseaB  
                      Started by sightcareclickhere, Today, 01:55 PM
                      0 responses
                      1 view
                      0 likes