Fixed Grid - Performance Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello,

Thank you for providing your system specifications.

At this point I've performed additional research on this matter and have spoken with our Project Development team to confirm. Though NinjaTrader can run on a 4K monitor it was not designed for 4K monitors and is not optimized to do so. This does mean that running a 4K monitor can result in odd behavior as you've experienced.

Therefore, you can certainly use a 4K monitor we cannot confirm that it will work perfectly with the platform.

At this point if you experience these kind of problems we suggest to reduce the display resolution of the affected monitor from the system settings as a work around to resume normal functionality.

Please let us know if you have any additional questions.
    Justin S.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Given that I am/was about to purchase a 4K monitor it is interesting yet disappointing to read what i see in this thread.It should be a given and not an oversight or unplanned design feature that ninja 8 with all the time it has been in the planning and the long beta run that this should be standard ; yet was not considered and without digging through the now closed beta threads; it was likely mentioned in there.

It should be implicit from this thread and for a trader that expanded screen real estate in this day and age (with the next generation beyond 4K already in the pipeline) for N8 to be able to handle this that this should at the very least be considered as a feature request. Do i need to explicitly ask this question or has it been added to the feature request list?

With the ongoing OnRender issues and soon hope to be resolved a chunk of those in future relases; that rendering and graphics is an inherent weakness in N8 - that is plain to see so perhaps to address and support 4K monitors is more of a major overhaul than a feature request?

Comment

Thank you for the suggestion.

I have submitted this as a feature request to the Development Team. I will follow up with an internal tracking number for your reference as soon as it is created.

Comment

Hello,

Thank you for your patience.

The feature request has been submitted and a feature tracking number is listed below:

SFT-2307

Comment

Regarding the fixed horizontal grid lines, I was able to test the performance on a system with 4K resolution (of course, using screen native pixel configuration and not scaled). The Ninja chart is extended from monitor 1 to the end of monitor 2, with total horizontal pixels of 2x3840=7680. Ninjatrader version 8.0.6.1. The results are follows:

1. some delay but acceptable speed, when using mouse wheel to scroll.
            2. not too much delay, when using the mouse to drag the chart from one side of the chart to the other side (either direction).
            3. Horizontal grid lines are dense but still visible. The chart image is very steady.

The chart info are as follows:
            1. Cross-hair: local
            2. Chart instrument: ^SP500, Day / also 15 minutes (not connected to real time data feed). not much speed difference between Day or 15 minutes.
            3. Setting: Y-axis: fixed grid, horizontal interval=ticks, interval value=1 (also tried = 1 point, better results).
            4. Numerous indicators loaded on chart (Volume, DM, EWO, MACD, Alligator, Alligator signals)

Computer hardware info:
            1. Windows 10 Pro
            2. CPU: i7-2600k
            3. Monitor 1: Samsung 40" 4k TV UN40KU6270 - HDMI 2.0 - 3840x2160 @60hz (Radeon RX-460)
            4. Monitor 2: Seiki 39" TV SE39UY04 - HDMI-1.4 - 3840x2160 @30hz (Radeon HD7700)
            5. Extended display configuration, Monitor 1 as main display.
            Last edited by kkc2015; 06-02-2017, 02:19 PM.

Comment

Further to my response, please see link to the chart image.

In the past, one thing I noticed that would significantly degrade the NinjaTrader chart performance is the ninjascript drawing functions (lines, rectangles, etc). With a few hundreds of rectangles on the chart, it freezed for more than 5s on screen refresh using F5. Once I implemented the drawing functions using SharpDX, there is almost no degradation on chart performance.

Comment

Originally posted by kkc2015 View Post
                Regarding the fixed horizontal grid lines
                I think any delay is too much delay, thinkorswim charts resize immediately with 0 dropped frames. There should be no lag here.. it's a chart. Any dropped frames are obvious to the user. Lag before it begins resizing charts is something I've only seen in nt8.

I'm wondering about the amount of data in your 15m series, I think users should be able to load 2000-4000 candlesticks in a series and be able to re-size it without lag, how many candles did you have loaded? I suspect that if you add more performance will degrade quickly.

Comment

Yes, the evaluation of chart speed is very subjective. My requirement for chart speed is not demanding and hence 'acceptable' may not be faster enough for others.

For the 15m series, I have loaded one month of data, which is all I have.
                  For the Days series I have 8365 bars, which is my default preset.

Comment

Not being connected to realtime data isn't a reliable test since the chart isn't actually changing.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                    Started by wzgy0920, 04-20-2024, 06:09 PM
                    2 responses
                    0 likes
                    Last Post wzgy0920  
                    Started by wzgy0920, 02-22-2024, 01:11 AM
                    5 responses
                    0 likes
                    Last Post wzgy0920