Grouped charts in a single window

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grouped charts in a single window

Is it possible to group multiple charts within a single window in NT8? I like to have lots of charts on my screen/screens and I want to logically group them together into a grid by instrument or timeframe. Being unable to do this causes a lot of problems for me, such as:

- too many NT8 windows in the taskbar
    - hard to find and click a particular chart from the taskbar
    - For example, I want to create 2x2 grids of the E-mini and Gold. I can do this with 8 individual charts but now I have a mess in my taskbar and it's hard to completely switch views from the E-mini to gold. I'd have to find all 4 gold charts in my taskbar and click them all so that I'm looking at my entire gold view. This only gets worse with more instruments/timeframes
    - with multiple screens, I can easily move grids around to different screens. Finding all 4 charts in the taskbar, moving them to another screen and placing them exactly where you want is way too much work

Am I missing something?
    Thanks so much

What you're asking for specifically is not possible currently.

There is a Windows feature which will allow you to minimize and maximize all windows, however, this does not have the ability to group windows together specifically.

To use this Windows feature:
    • Hover over the NinjaTrader icon in your Windows task bar
    • Hold the SHIFT key then right-click on the icon
    • Use 'minimize all windows' to minimize all NinjaTrader windows
    • Use 'restore all windows' to restore all NinjaTrader windows into view

I will submit a feature request for the grouping of windows together within a workspace for easier re-positioning as a group. I will update this thread when I have a tracking number.

EDIT: the tracking number SFT-712
    Last edited by NinjaTrader_PatrickG; 05-31-2017, 05:52 AM.

Comment

Thanks, is there a way to track the progress of SFT-712? I can't find an issue tracker page anywhere.

In the mean time, I'm trying to hack my own way of doing this using a third party desktop workspace tool. I can set up rules based on window titles so that certain windows always go to certain workspaces but the NT8 window titles are too generic. For example, mine say

Chart GC 08-17

That's not enough to separate it from another instance of the GC chart. Is there any possible way to tag a window with more information in the window title? Whether it's with a custom indicator or whatever?

Comment

There is no way for you to track this feature request other than asking for updates on the forums or by writing into PlatformSupport[AT]NinjaTrader[DOT]com.

There is no update for SFT-712 at this time. There are currently 10 votes for this feature.

You can change the 'name' of the window by editing the tab's name. Right-click on the tab > Rename > Manually type in a tab name or use one of the auto-populate options from the drop down list in 'tab name' > OK.

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_PatrickG View Post
          There is no way for you to track this feature request other than asking for updates on the forums or by writing into PlatformSupport[AT]NinjaTrader[DOT]com.

There is no update for SFT-712 at this time. There are currently 10 votes for this feature.

You can change the 'name' of the window by editing the tab's name. Right-click on the tab > Rename > Manually type in a tab name or use one of the auto-populate options from the drop down list in 'tab name' > OK.
          I tried this and it only changed the tab name, not the actual window. Did I miss something?

Comment

In the Windows preview, I would expect the window to be named after the tab name. For example:

Is this the functionality you're looking for? If not, could you please elaborate?

Comment

That does work, for some reason I missed it when I tried before. Thanks!

Comment

will like to vote for this feature request (SFT-712 ). how do i do it?

Comment

Originally posted by Minkadus View Post
                  will like to vote for this feature request (SFT-712 ). how do i do it?
                  I added your vote to SFT-712.

Comment

Would like to vote for this feature request SFT-712, thank you.

Comment

I added your vote, garfielalvin

Comment

PatrickX please add my vote.

Claxxical -
                        Have you considered using separate Workspaces in order to 'group'?, then switching between them?

"For example, I want to create 2x2 grids of the E-mini and Gold. I can do this with 8 individual charts but now I have a mess in my taskbar and it's hard to completely switch views from the E-mini to gold. I'd have to find all 4 gold charts in my taskbar and click them all so that I'm looking at my entire gold view. This only gets worse with more instruments/timeframes
                        - with multiple screens, I can easily move grids around to different screens. Finding all 4 charts in the taskbar, moving them to another screen and placing them exactly where you want is way too much work"

This is what I do/have for similar -
                        I have 2x 43" 4k monitors for trading charts and DOMs, plus a 3rd monitor for Control Centre etc.
                        On each 'charts monitor' I have grids of Windows with the charts of timeframes of my preference in tabs, and DOMs.

I use separate Workspaces for the purpose of grouping. So, to use your example, I have a workspace containing ES, YM and NQ, with for each instrument one Window containing Daily & 5min charts in tabs, one window containing 1min & 10sec charts in tabs, 1 window containing 15tick chart and a DOM.

Similarly I have GS, HG and CL in a workspace. I have Currency Futures in 2 workspaces, Commodities, DAX etc

If I want to look at a US Equities Index 'group' of charts, I switch to the appropriate Workspace and everything is where it was/should be, no min/maximising of charts, no moving/re-positioning of charts. I use 6 of these Workspaces open concurrently containing 18 instruments in groups of 3. Switching between workspaces is instantaneous i.e. no opening and closing Workspaces, no waiting for charts to load or draw, no fiddling about in the Taskbar.

I looked into using Virtual Windows Desktops of various types and wouldn't recommend it, and other ways before opting for this solution. I've been using and expanding it for several months and it works well. The biggest shortcomings I find are not being able to duplicate Windows in their entirety and not being able to copy between Workspaces, making 'global' changes e.g. implementing a change that you want to apply to all charts in all Workspaces a little cumbersome, so if going this route I'd suggest you plan ahead.
                        Even so, it is not that bad either by using a template and/or making the change in one workspace, saving duplicates and then switching to the instruments you want in each group.

The other things you might consider is how you might use the Instrument and Timeframe Linking functions

Hope this helps
                        Last edited by brucerobinson; 09-22-2018, 09:07 AM.

Comment

I added your vote, Bruce.

Comment

Hi is there any kind of status on this? Is this feature being considered for implementation? It's still a huge issue for me and the reason I can't use my lifetime license of NT. I've moved on to another platform but I really prefer NT.

Comment

Hello claxxical,

We're taking all of the feedback provided regarding this change into consideration, however, there is no timeline on when or if this will be changed.
                              Last edited by NinjaTrader_JoshG; 03-29-2019, 12:57 PM.
                              Josh G.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by maybeimnotrader, Today, 05:46 PM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post maybeimnotrader  
                              Started by quantismo, Today, 05:13 PM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes