Make chart refresh rate faster than 250ms possible

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hurleydood View Post
    Thanks for your input Bruce. I released a new version last week, please give it a test. I haven't seen the error you mentioned myself but I'll keep a look out. Can you check your NT8 Log directory to see if the error has been seen prior to the indicator been used?

Yes it's great to see the DOM synchronized in harmony with the chart. I trade primarily from the DOM but I can easily trade from the chart as well now. You can actually see realtime price action on the chart now.
    Hi. First I want to say the indicator is awesome. Where do I get the newer version you're talking about?
    Anyway, I notice that when the market is fast, the charts still lag by a lot even when set to 10ms. I even removed the indicator thinking it was the problem, but it was still the same type of lag in fast markets. When slow to medium pace market, it works great. Am I doing something wrong???

Comment

Originally posted by brucerobinson View Post
      #Johnny S - FWIW FYI I've used TickRefresh on fast tick charts without problems for months. In combination with ChartTimeLag updating every second. Silky smooth charts, no lag, under all market conditions.'
      I've been using tickrefresh now too. But still get the chart falling behind when the market is moving fast. I have it set to 10ms on my 5 min, 1min, and 89 tick charts. Am I doing something wrong? Also, what do you mean by ChartTimeLag, is that an indicator? Where do I find it?

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Santiago View Post
        Hi. First I want to say the indicator is awesome. Where do I get the newer version you're talking about?
        Anyway, I notice that when the market is fast, the charts still lag by a lot even when set to 10ms. I even removed the indicator thinking it was the problem, but it was still the same type of lag in fast markets. When slow to medium pace market, it works great. Am I doing something wrong???
        Thanks. The latest version was released on 4/4/2019 https://ninjatraderecosystem.com/use...d/tickrefresh/
        It could be unoptimized indicators causing the lag. But I also think the issue is internal in how incoming data is handled. A flood of data for one instrument like ES overwhelm the thread used to process each incoming tick. I don't think it's the charts lagging but the data processing because the charts are still responsive to interaction which re-renders the charts without delay. And I don't think it's the data provider CQG because with NT7 I've never seen it ever lag. Nobody will look at it because there is no demand, enough votes, or log files to look at to fix these types of issues.

Comment

#johnnys chartlagtime is an indicator developed to show any time difference between charts on your pc and your data provider's data (i.e. what you see vs real time, whatever the cause). It's been posted on here and I believe Ecosystem also. Search. I can vouch for its trouble-free utility, but you do need to find the thread discussing its use and pay attention to synchronising your pc clock with an internet Time Server.

#hurleydood "But I also think the issue is internal in how incoming data is handled. A flood of data for one instrument like ES overwhelm the thread used to process each incoming tick. I don't think it's the charts lagging but the data processing because the charts are still responsive to interaction which re-renders the charts without delay. And I don't think it's the data provider CQG because with NT7 I've never seen it ever lag. Nobody will look at it because there is no demand, enough votes, or log files to look at to fix these types of issues"

I have some anecdotal feedback that might support your feelings on this.
          All along the sorry history of EightLag (in all its guises, whether that be chart refresh, rendering, processing ticks) I've experienced 'occasional' 'cumulative' lags of the type made visible by ChartLagTime.

Firstly - to say my setup works flawlessly for months under all market conditions (including TickRefresh and ChartlagTime). No 'lag' of any 'type' (rendering, processing, chart refresh/dom etc).

It is worth noting that my setup is less complex than the NT7 one it replicates and with which, as you report, I had no lag of any type, ever. I had slow loading, crashing resulting therefrom etc but not the platform and chart lag that has plagued 8). The only thing that has changed in nearly three years of Ninja Development and Support denial and obfuscation is the platform (and me upgrading to a HAL-like workstation to no effect which 7 didn't require nor could it benefit from, which 8 can).

Secondly - some forensics on a recent 'random' occurrence re: your suspicions/postulations as to 'what goes on under the hood'
          I had one of these 'random occurrence' cumulative lags - only visible because of ChartLagTimes. Everything was hunky-dory, responsive. But cumulative lag was induced by the Open building to minutes. I shut Ninja, re- opened with a naked single chart only - Cumulative lag from the get-go.

I pinged my internet, no problem. I rebooted everything, opened a single naked chart, cumulative lag, otherwise fully responsive. I left it running with 1 naked chart. After an hour or two it had 'caught up', lag gone, fully responsive. Same connection to CQG.

I reloaded my overly complex workspace, no lag. Hasn't happened since.

Support showed my Log &Trace reported connection 'Slow' for 5hrs up to the Open and referred me to my broker/data provider AMP. AMP said they would ask CQG for Log & Trace, but haven't since responded.

But my connection was otherwise not slow, only to CQG according to the NT Log & Trace.

And yet despite reporting slow for 5 hours up to the Open, it had coped with data for 18 instruments and a gazillion data series, charts, indicators etc through news releases, then at the Open couldn't handle one bare-ass naked 15m chart with no template and nothing else, no Market Analyzer, nothing, nada.

Happens repeatedly with the same symptoms, albeit infrequently. The curiosity is that we know my connection to CQG (only) was slow for an extensive period but did not affect performance. Then, at the Open (I'm assuming causal) a single instrument/data series/chart was 'overwhelmed'. And it wasn't a particularly violent Open, with the VIX now half what it was when I didn't experience this (or perhaps wasn't aware, but doubt that) on my full-fat workspace.

Furthermore, seeing as I restarted Ninja, I would have made a new CQG connection, node hops to CQG etc. So whilst it was reporting slow in Ninja Log & Trace for 5 hrs into the Open, I now realise (through this post-mortem) that may imply it wasn't slow after I reconnected, which may imply there was cumulative lag after reboot and with a single naked chart on a new good connection. Which would imply the Log & Trace Slow connection reported is a red-herring, consistent with it not affecting matters with the full-fat workspace during that period. This would be consistent with Support reporting my connection slow for 5 hours. It was not slow after 5 hours - after I disconnected from CQG, reconnected after which the connection was no longer reporting as slow in L&T, booted up one chart and still had cumulative lag......

Ninja Support pinged CQG and no problems, & no other User reports. However, I'm conscious 'my problem' is only visible as a result of ChartLagTime, otherwise all would appear normal, I'd be oblivious to the issue.

Scary, confidence destroying and frustrating in equal measure.

PS: I took TickRefesh off in the above process = ugh!
          Last edited by brucerobinson; 06-08-2020, 04:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Santiago View Post

Also, what do you mean by ChartLagTime, is that an indicator? Where do I find it?
            You can get the ChartLagTime script here: Link

The script originated from user WhiteRhino as ChartTime here, and I did a slight modification and posted it as ChartLagTimeV3 at the link above.
            Zac White of Shark Indicators jazzed it up a little more, and renamed it ChartLagMeasurementV1 here.

Comment

3 years later and nothing. Why won't this highly requested change happen? For me, unlike everyone else in the thread, I want mine slower, well actually I want to be able to customize it differently between charts (faster) and market analyzer (slower). This is nuts how many people are requesting this though and they won't do it

Comment

Please add my vote for this. How many votes does this have, this has to have like the most votes right? Any reason this isn't a priority?

Comment

Please add my vote as well.

Comment

Add my vote as well.
                    I have NT8 running side-by-side other products, and when a market starts to seriously move- the delay in NT8 printing the developing bar at the correct price is very very visible. Slippage with chart trader is a real issue that needs to be addressed with such a slow chart refresh time. Any modern day off-the-shelf computer will be able to handle much faster refresh times with dozens of charts open, without a hiccup.

Comment

DanDaMan if you're noticing a 'delay' of more than the quarter-second for the chart update that we would expect due to the hard-coded refresh rate (and aren't using the add-on others have suggested in this thread to artificially lower the refresh rate) there may be something else contributing to what you're experiencing that I'd like to investigate.

Please send me your log and trace files so that I may look into what occurred.
                      • You can do this by going to the Control Center-> Help-> Email Support
                      • Ensuring 'Log and Trace Files' is checked will include these files. This is checked by default.
                      • Please reference the following ticket number in the body of the email: 2002588 ATTN PatrickG

Comment

please add my vote for this, and thanks to all posters and particularly hurleydood for the indi and the helpful videos to be able to see the difference possible!

Comment

Add my vote to this. I am using tickrefresh but NT8 is unusable for me because of the microscopic cancel buttons on a 3000x2000 monitor.

Is there a similar indicator for NT7?
                          Last edited by marktrading; 04-23-2021, 01:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by marktrading View Post
                            Is there a similar indicator for NT7?
                            In NinjaTradeer 7, you can change the chart's 'Display update interval' by right-clicking on your chart > Properties > Find 'Display update interval and change the rate as desired > OK:

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_PatrickG View Post

In NinjaTradeer 7, you can change the chart's 'Display update interval' by right-clicking on your chart > Properties > Find 'Display update interval and change the rate as desired > OK:

https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...properties.htm
                              Thanks.
                              is 0.1 the minimum? Is there an indicator that allows lower than that?

Comment

Yes, 0.1 (1/10th of a second) is the minimum. I am not familiar with any indicators for NinjaTrader 7 that work around this property to further reduce the update interval.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                                Started by kujista, Today, 05:44 AM
                                0 responses
                                0 likes
                                Last Post kujista
                                by kujista

Started by ZenCortexCLICK, Today, 04:58 AM
                                0 responses
                                0 likes