Charting VX futures with InterActive Brokers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Charting VX futures with InterActive Brokers

Could someone please post the settings for NT 8 (Instrument Properties, Market Data Options) to chart VX futures with data from Interactive Brokers?

Using 'VIX' in the Symbol Map and 'CFE' as the Exchange didn't work.

Thanks!

Hello Nick88,

Can you please go to Control Center-->Tools-->Instruments. Type VX and double click the VX futures that is present by default. Scroll downwards and enter VIX in the Interactive Brokers row and click OK. If you now create a chart for the VX 07-17, do you load the requested data?

Unfortunately our Interactive Brokers connection is not enabled for the VX futures, so I could not test it on my end.
    JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hello Jason,

Thanks,but that didn't work. After loading data I get a blank chart. I am using NT for about ten year now, so most trivial stuff is known to me. I regularly add new instruments to NT so I know how to handle that. In this case I think the trouble is still the monthly/weekly VIX futures issue. I had hoped that this issue had been resolved by now.
      Last edited by Nick88; 07-11-2017, 04:47 AM.

Comment

I don't believe IB provides data for VX futures. Only the VIX Index.

Comment

I was able to load historical minute data with Cfe as exchange and VIX as symbol map. However I did get error messages (see screenshot). Unfortunately realtime data is not enabled for the IB account so I could not test that. I used the VX futures instrument that is present by default. So I only changed the exchange from Cboe to Cfe and added VIX in the Interactive Brokers field. Can you please try the same and subsequently create a new minute based chart. Check if the chart loads data.
          Attached Files

Comment

Hello Jason,

Thanks for your support.

I get the "IB was unable to locate instrument.Please verify your symbol mapping is correct for instrument VX 07-17 Cfe" message, the chart stays blank.

I'm on NT 8.0.7.1 64 bit with SIM license.

Comment

Hello Nick,

When I test it today, it does not work anymore. I get the same errors, but no data is loaded. I am not sure why it did load data yesterday. I was solely connected to IB and I do not recall loading VX data before in that NinjaTrader installation. Today I did a complete uninstall/reinstall before testing again. I will check with my superiors on the status of the VX futures with Interactive Brokers in NinjaTrader 8.

Comment

Could you please try the symbol map of VX and Cfe as exchange and check if this works for you.

Comment

Hi Jason,

At last! Changing the Symbol Map from VIX to VX did the trick. It works, I get live data and historical data for the VX futures through Interactive Brokers.

Thanks a lot.

Comment

I was wrong

Originally posted by ScottyA View Post
                    I don't believe IB provides data for VX futures. Only the VIX Index.
                    Please disregard my incorrect assertion. At the time I checked with IB a while back, VX futs were not available through the API, but even that info is out of date.

I pulled up VIX Futs through 3rd party software with no issues.

Comment

VX Futures settings - Screenshot

Hi Jason

Could you please post a screenshot of your settings for this contract? I get the future contracts far out (VIX 05-18 or later) to work, but not any other.

I don't get VX 03-18 to work with the settings as you described.

whotookmynickname

Comment

Hello whotookmynickname,

Are you able to load data using the default settings for the VX futures? It has the Cboe exchange enabled and uses VX|||CFE as symbol map for IB by default.
                        Attached Files

Comment

I tried the setting above, but I couldn't get IB VX 04-21 chart.

In IB, I could load the VX data chart. Please help!

Comment

Hello LadGta2018,

Thank you for your inquiry.

So I may accurately assist you, please answer all of the following questions:
                            • What version of NinjaTrader are you using? Please provide the entire version number. This can be found under Help -> About (Example: 7.0.1000.? or 8.0.?.?)
                            • What version of TWS or IB Gateway do you currently have installed? (This is located in TWS at Help > About Trader Workstation)
                            • (For a chart) what interval is selected? For example, 5 minute, 1 day, 2000 volume, 4 Renko, etc.
                            • Do you receive an error on screen? Are there errors on the Log tab of the Control Center? If so, what do these errors report?
                            I look forward to your reply.
                            Zachary S.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Zachary View Post
                              Hello LadGta2018,

Thank you for your inquiry.

So I may accurately assist you, please answer all of the following questions:
                              • What version of NinjaTrader are you using? Please provide the entire version number. This can be found under Help -> About (Example: 7.0.1000.? or 8.0.?.?)
                              • What version of TWS or IB Gateway do you currently have installed? (This is located in TWS at Help > About Trader Workstation)
                              • (For a chart) what interval is selected? For example, 5 minute, 1 day, 2000 volume, 4 Renko, etc.
                              • Do you receive an error on screen? Are there errors on the Log tab of the Control Center? If so, what do these errors report?
                              I look forward to your reply.

My Ninja Trader version is 8.0.22.2 64-bit .
                              IB TWS version is Build 981.2z, Apr 13, 2021.

The error message is "Error on requesting bars series: "IB was unable to locate instrument. Please verify your symbol mapping is correct for instrument VX default".

Thanks!

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by Barry Milan, Today, 10:35 PM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post Barry Milan  
                              Started by DJ888, Yesterday, 06:09 PM
                              2 responses
                              0 likes