Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Removing A Strategy's Indicator Info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Removing A Strategy's Indicator Info

I just migrated one of my NT7 strategies with over 8000 LOC to NT8. Insanely happy that it's actually working but this bugs me a little:

Any way of getting rid of all the indicator details? In other words, is there a way for me to customize how a Strategy prints indicator settings? I know that I can change the Strategy name in the configuration but that's not what I'm referring to. Just want to get rid off all those detailed settings.
    Attached Files

Hello molecool,

Thanks for your inquiry.

Programmatically, there would not be a valid way to do this other than changing the DisplayName, which carries other repercussions. If you blank out the DisplayName, you will not be able to see the indicator in the Configured field of the Indicators window.

Code:
    public override string DisplayName
    {
    	get{ return ""; }
    }
    Outside of this, you could set the Label from the Indicators window to a blank string, and then you will see the Indicator label removed completely. You could use your own Draw.TextFixed() method to print out the name of the indicator so you may still see it.

We have a feature request tracking interest in being able to programmatically remove the Indicator Label, but this would remove the label completely and not just the settings. We could submit another feature request to allow an option to allow displaying of the parameters in the label (with the ability to set in code.)

Before we submit a vote or a new request, could you confirm if you would like to remove the label entirely, or just the parameters?

I look forward to being of further assistance.
    JimNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

I gave this a bit of thought and since I used to do GUI development back in the day, here are my 2 cents:
      • Altering the display name of custom indicators is one way of handling it. But if I use that indicator on its own I may want to see the settings, whereas if I use it as part of a strategy I may choose to skip or truncate it.
      • Default indicators, e.g. SMA, BB, etc. are outside of my control unless I copy the code and make that change. So this right there is a limitation regarding the suggested solution of changing the display name in my code.
      • I don't think there is a good reason for constantly showing the settings of all the indicators as it uses up a lot of screen estate and occupies two corners of the window which I may want to use for notifications. A better solution would be to show them on demand, e.g. clicking on the strategy name which would unveil the respective settings or pop up a panel.
      • A decent preliminary solution would be an option or flag that allows indicators and their settings to be hidden when launching a strategy. This way they can be enabled if needed, e.g. to assure that everything is configured as envisioned. But in day to day operation my screenshot makes it clear that it's simply an annoying waste of screen estate I could devote to other things (which I actually have but I cannot see them as the long string covers up everything.

I hope this helps your decision making process. I favor the last item as it would be quick to implement on your end until a better solution can be devised.

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Jim View Post
      Hello molecool,

Thanks for your inquiry.

Programmatically, there would not be a valid way to do this other than changing the DisplayName, which carries other repercussions. If you blank out the DisplayName, you will not be able to see the indicator in the Configured field of the Indicators window.

Code:
      public override string DisplayName
      {
      	get{ return ""; }
      }
      Outside of this, you could set the Label from the Indicators window to a blank string, and then you will see the Indicator label removed completely. You could use your own Draw.TextFixed() method to print out the name of the indicator so you may still see it.

We have a feature request tracking interest in being able to programmatically remove the Indicator Label, but this would remove the label completely and not just the settings. We could submit another feature request to allow an option to allow displaying of the parameters in the label (with the ability to set in code.)

Before we submit a vote or a new request, could you confirm if you would like to remove the label entirely, or just the parameters?

I look forward to being of further assistance.

Comment

Thanks molecool.

I've submitted a feature request on your behalf to add an option to hide parameters in a NinjaScript's label.

I'll update with this post with the ticket ID when it becomes available.

As with other feature requests, we cannot present an ETA as they are fulfilled based on the development team's schedule and priorities. Upon implementation the ticket ID can be found on the Release Notes page of the help guide. I'll provide a link below.

Release Notes: https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...ease_notes.htm

Thanks again for sharing your input!

Comment

Hello molecool,

I'm bumping this thread as I have additional input on your inquiry.

It is actually possible to blank out the label's parameters from the UI by enclosing the label in quotes. This is possible to do through an indicator and we are looking into the matter with doing this with strategies which appears to be inconsistent to the NinjaTrader 7 behavior. It is also currently not possible to do this for indicators added by a strategy.

As for requesting the behavior you are looking for, we have submitted 2 feature requests.

The first feature request was submitted as an upvote for SFT-477 which tracks being able to programmatically modify the NinjaScript's chart label. We have added the detail from your input to request a property that can be set programmatically as well as in the UI.

The second feature request is to allow us to blank out parameters in an indicator's chart label which has been from a strategy. (This would be the same behavior as using quotes to blank out the parameters chart label by editing the property from the UI. The detail added to the feature request above would provide a programmatic solution to this matter.) This second feature request ticket ID is SFT-2758.

If there is anything else we can do to assist, please let us know.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by sidlercom80, 10-28-2023, 08:49 AM
          170 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post sidlercom80  
          Started by Irukandji, Yesterday, 02:53 AM
          2 responses
          0 likes