Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

What is the usual way of creating libraries of my own classes to use in NinjaScript?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is the usual way of creating libraries of my own classes to use in NinjaScript?

it appears that I cannot create a new folder in the Ninja Explorer tree view. I can only create directories in the existing ones. Therefore, my thought is to create a "Library" directory in "Strategies". However, when I right-click in "Library", the only option for a new file is "New Strategy". This makes me think that any code that is not a Strategy does not belong here. Where should I put my own custom classes? Is this "forbidden" in NinjaScript?

Hello stokhastic,

Thank you for your note.

You could change the namespace so that those strategies will appear in a folder.

For example change the namespace of the strategy from,

Code:
    namespace NinjaTrader.NinjaScript.Strategies
    To,

Code:
    namespace NinjaTrader.NinjaScript.Strategies.AlanStrategies
    And you'll see the strategy placed in the AlanStrategies folder of your strategies folder.

You could import the attached strategy which demonstrates.

Please let us know if you need further assistance.
    Attached Files
    Alan P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

NinjaTrader_AlanP what if we need a common class that is used in multiple places (like an Indicator, SuperDOM column, MarketColumn, etc)?

I tried creating an extra folder in NinjaTrader8/bin/Custom and it works fine for local compilation, but I can't export it. The extra folder is also not visible in the NT Editor.
      Last edited by Zombie; 01-22-2021, 12:44 PM.

Comment

Hello Zombie, thanks for your reply.

You can define a Strategy or Indicator partial class and implement your shared methods and properties within the partial class definition. We have a set of examples of how to do this attached to this post. When you need to make a new folder within the Bin/Custom file system, create the folder by right-clicking a folder in the NinjaScript Editor, do not make the folder from the Windows file explorer. If the methods or properties need to be used by many different namespaces, you can add a static class to the NinjaTrader.NinjaScript.AddOns namespace.

Please let me know if I can assist any further.
        Attached Files
        Chris L.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

NinjaTrader_ChrisL thanks for the example. Another question: what is the recommended/usual way to protect the shared code?

My specific example would be a class that is used by an indicator / market analyzer column / superDOM column and let's assume they are all different products. How can we protect this shared class such that only licensed users are able to use it?

If we don't protect the class with the VendorLicense call in the constructor, I am assuming that after the installation this class would be available to anyone. On the other hand, if we protect it with its own product, then we start to create dependencies among products which is tougher to manage. In particular, if free trials are offered, it is possible that the free trial on the shared class may be expired when the product one is not. It can get messy pretty quickly.

Is there any magical solution with partial class that we can use?

Comment

Hello Zombie, thanks for your reply.

Your own licensing solution would need to be used for a separate class. Unfortunately, this goes out of the scope of support I am able to provide so I will not be able to suggest how to do it.

Best regards.
            Chris L.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by jaybedreamin, Today, 05:56 PM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post jaybedreamin  
            Started by DJ888, 04-16-2024, 06:09 PM
            6 responses