Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

I think the docs for SetTrailStop,SetStopLoss,&SetParabolicStop need to be updated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think the docs for SetTrailStop,SetStopLoss,&SetParabolicStop need to be updated

Hello NinjaTrader support team,

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that the documentation for SetTrailStop, SetStopLoss, and SetParabolicStop need to be updated as described below:

1. SetParabolicStop documentation ( https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...abolicstop.htm ) currently mentions that it can't be used concurrently with SetStopLoss, but it needs to also mention that is can't be used concurrently with SetTrailStop, and if it is, SetParabolicStop will always be ignored and SetTrailStop will be used unconditionally (assuming that SetStopLoss isn't also used, in which can SetStopLoss is used, and neither SetTrailStop nor SetParabolicStop is used).

2. SetTrailStop documentation ( https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...ttrailstop.htm ) currently mentions that it can't be used concurrently with SetStopLoss, but it needs to also mention that is can't be used concurrently with SetParabolicStop, and if it is, SetParabolicStop will always be ignored and SetTrailStop will be used unconditionally (assuming that SetStopLoss isn't also used, in which can SetStopLoss is used, and neither SetTrailStop nor SetParabolicStop is used).

3. SetStopLoss documentation ( https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...etstoploss.htm ) currently mentions that it can't be used concurrently with SetTrailStop, but it needs to also mention that is can't be used concurrently with SetParabolicStop, and if it is, SetParabolicStop will always be ignored and SetStopLoss will be used unconditionally.

In summary, the documentation for these three methods needs to say that they are each incompatible with the other two methods, not just one of the two other methods.

I mention this because I have been experimenting with these 3 methods, and have discovered that SetParabolicStop is always ignored if either SetTrailStop or SetStopLoss is used, SetTrailStop is only ignored if SetStopLoss is used but is not ignored if SetParabolicStop is used, and SetStopLoss is never ignored even if SetParabolicStop or SetTrailStop is used.

Am I right in thinking that these are the rules that NinjaTrader 8 follows when considering which of the 3 kinds of built-in money management stops to ignore when more than one type is used?

Thanks in advance,

EquityTrader

Hello EquityTrader,

This is correct. Any Set method for the stop cannot be used with any other Set method for a stop.

I will send a note to our product management that you have requested these help guide page to be updated to reflect this.
    Last edited by NinjaTrader_ChelseaB; 12-03-2018, 10:40 AM.
    Chelsea B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hi NinjaTrader_ChelseaB,

Thanks for the response and for helping to get the documentation fixed.

EquityTrader

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by pechtri, 06-22-2023, 02:31 AM
      10 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post Leeroy_Jenkins  
      Started by judysamnt7, 03-13-2023, 09:11 AM
      4 responses
      0 likes