Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

StrategyPlot in NT8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

StrategyPlot in NT8

Hi,

I'm trying to convert my NT7 to NT8 and would like to add the plots. In NT7 i used the strategy plot as follows:

protected override void Initialize ()
    {
    slopePriceLevel1 = new DataSeries(this);
    Add(StrategyPlot(0));
    StrategyPlot(0).Plots[0].Pen.Color = Color.Blue;
    StrategyPlot(0).PanelUI = 2;

protected override void OnBarUpdate ()
    {
    slopePriceLevel1.Set(priceSlopeTrigger1);
    StrategyPlot(0).Value.Set(SMA(slopePriceLevel1, 1)[0]);

Where slopePriceLevel1 is a parameter and priceSlopeTrigger1 is a data series.

How do I do this in NT8?

Thanks,

Lee

Hello Lee,
    Thanks for your post.

While I do not have step by step instructions for your on how to convert this snippet, you would be well suited to check out the Series<t> section of the help guide as that replaced the DataSeries objects from NT7. I have included the link to that help guide document below.

https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...s/?seriest.htm

There are a few key items to look for when converting your scripts from NinjaTrader 7 format to NinjaTrader 8, and we keep a Code Breaking Changes table updated in the NinjaTrader 8 Help Guide to assist in identifying changes or new implementations of familiar methods and properties from NinjaTrader 7: https://ninjatrader.com/support/helpGuides/nt8/en-us/?code_breaking_changes.htm

The names of many methods and properties have changed slightly, so you will need to refactor these in your code. The Code Breaking Changes table can make this task much easier, and there is also an alphabetical reference in the Help Guide that can help to find new method/property names: https://ninjatrader.com/support/helpGuides/nt8/en-us/?alphabetical_reference.htm

You may also be interested in the reference sample we have available that demonstrates how to plot from a NinjaScript strategy: https://ninjatrader.com/support/help..._a_ninjasc.htm

Let me know if I can assist with anything else.
    Last edited by NinjaTrader_JoshG; 01-14-2019, 08:20 AM.
    Josh G.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hi Josh,

thanks for the response. Some of the links did not work. Also, the example pulls from an indicator which didn’t really help me. Lets start simple. How do I plot a fixed parameter value from within my strategy in my strategy on a separate panel right below the main panel? Let’s say my fixed parameter is called PanelPlot.

Thanks,
      Lee

Comment

lee612801,

I fixed my links. Not sure what happened there..

When you say a 'fixed parameter' do you mean that the value is never going to change?

You only need to plot to single panel, correct?

Comment

Hi Josh,

The value is a parameter that does not change when the strategy is running. But it can be changed by the user in the strategy window.

Yes, a single panel. Eventually I will want multiple panels (probably 3) below the main panel.

Thanks,
          Lee

Comment

lee612801,

I would suggest using the concepts from the reference sample if you ever plan on plotting to multiple panels with that strategy. The ways you would go about adding a single plot is a little different.

If you just need a single panel for now then you can use AddPlot() for a dynamic value, or AddLine() for a static value.

https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...s/?addplot.htm

https://ninjatrader.com/support/helpGuides/nt8/en-us/?addline.htm
            Last edited by NinjaTrader_JoshG; 01-14-2019, 02:50 PM.

Comment

Hi Josh,

Thanks for the info. I was able to get the AddPlot to work by adding the Values parameter. But it plots the value as an overlay on the chart. How do I get the added plot to plot on its own separate panel below and not on the main panel as an overlay?

Thanks,
              Lee

Comment

lee612801,

You would use IsOverlay=false

Comment

Josh,

Thank you. I will chew on this for a bit.

Regards,
                  Lee

Comment

Josh,

Thanks again for the help. I was able to get the separate panel to plot, but how do I get more than one panel on the chart? Using the IsOverlay=false put all my plots on the same panel. In NT7 I just used the StrategyPlot(0).PanelUI = ; to get the desired panel for each plot. How do you do this in NT8?

Regards,
                    Lee

Comment

If you decide to use AddChartIndicator(), the order of the plots can be controlled from the strategy calling the ChartIndicators collection with the index of the indicator and set the panel for that indicator.

ChartIndicators[0].Panel = 2;

I've attached two examples created by a colleague of mine to demonstrate this. One uses multiple indicator types, the other uses multiple instances of the same indicator type. Other than this I suggest you go with the concepts from the help guide reference sample I provided above.

Attached Files

Comment

I'm probably wrong, but the reference example you provided above seems like it is creating a separate script that acts like an indicator just to use this feature. I guess I'm confused why NT7 had a relatively simple strategy plot function and NT8 does not?

Can you use AddChartIndicator() for parameters (such as my fixed value) other than actual indicators?

Thanks

Comment

lee612801,

You are correct. You would not be able to use AddChartIndicator() without that plot actually being its own indicator.

As far as why it's different specifically I am not sure. A lot of things that were created in Inititialize() in NT7 have been changed to work most efficiently with NT8's OnStateChange() method. You can most easily see the changes made for this concept by comparing the NT7 'Plot from a strategy' sample to the NT8 'Plot from a strategy sample'. I already provided the link for the NT8 sample above, but I will post both versions below as well.

NT7: https://ninjatrader.com/support/help..._a_ninjasc.htm

NT8; https://ninjatrader.com/support/help..._a_ninjasc.htm

Additionally, you can see the rest of the code breaking changes here: https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...ng_changes.htm

Comment

Hi Josh,

I'm trying to follow along with the SampleStrategyPlot for NT8. I'm bringing the code line by line over to my strategy. But I keep getting a CS0029 error on the sampleOverlayPlot.Strategy = this; in my strategy when compiling. Any ideas?

Thanks,
                            Lee

Comment

Lee,

I am not sure why you would get that error with that snippet. I would expect it to compile fine if used in the same context as the sample strategy,

What is the specific error description that is displayed next to the error code?
                              Last edited by NinjaTrader_JoshG; 01-25-2019, 12:56 PM.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by bortz, 11-06-2023, 08:04 AM
                              47 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post aligator  
                              Started by jaybedreamin, Today, 05:56 PM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes