Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Can't change input parameter.  It says it's in use

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't change input parameter.  It says it's in use

I'm trying to edit the FasPeriod, but it says its in use. I'm not using it in any of my charts or anywhere. I can edit the ProfitTarget input, but no the FastPeriod or SlowPeriod. Where would it be in use? Where should I look to remove all uses of these inputs?
    Attached Files

Hello lehula,

Thanks for your post.

In the strategy builder, once you create/define a variable or input and then use it in a condition set you cannot then edit the variable or input unless you first delete or remove the variable or input from the condition(s) and this is what the message is advising. For example, if you created the input as a double and then decided you wanted it to be a bool or an int, if you could change it to a bool or an int it would immediately cause coding errors because the conditions were built based on the input being a double and is now a bool or an int.

It has to be this way to prevent creating unrecoverable errors in the strategy which would then create compile errors which then prevents the strategy from being able to be accessed through the strategy builder. While we understand this makes making changes more difficult it is far better than dealing with the errors such actions would create that you would then need to sort out.
    Paul H.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

I was frustrated, but now I understand why. Thanks!

Comment

So what if you define an integer with default of '0' and then want to change it to a '1', why is that not editable? Not changing the name or type here which has nothing to do with the actual formula. It simply worked in version 7.

Comment

Hello fatbat,

Thanks for your post.

Yes, that is correct, you cannot edit a variable or input once it is used in a condition without first removing it from a condition.

We have previously created a feature request to change the behavior to allow for editing values without the need to change the conditions. The feature request is identified as SFT-3560, "Strategy Builder to allow modifying default values for variables and user inputs"

We will add a vote for both you and member lehula to this feature request. A feature request does not mean the feature will or will not be implemented and keeps the suggestion in front of program management to review for potential implementation. If implemented, the feature request number would be identified in the release notes of the version it is first released in. The release notes for all versions can be found in the help guide here: https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...ease_notes.htm
          Paul H.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Please add my up-vote as well!

Comment

mm from 2014 and still not implemented ... seems that it'll be never done

Comment

Please add my vote to the change list. This is a major building log jam. Thanks. Love the builder!!!

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by f.saeidi, Today, 12:14 PM
                4 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post f.saeidi  
                Started by Russ Moreland, Today, 12:54 PM
                1 response
                0 likes
                Last Post NinjaTrader_Erick